• At the AAE40 threads there has been heated debate about the validity of an operation Sea Lion, and on what turn(s) it would be viable.  Also debate about the likelyhood of UK attacking the Italian fleet in SZ95 on turn 1…however, Sea Lion is the main tactic with SZ95 not required.  This debate has turned into a Global Game challenge.  Its possible to play this game now since we have the maps, set ups, and other rules.

No countries have been assigned yet, and we are looking for at least 5 players. 
    UK/France
    US/ANZAC
    USSR/China
    Germany/Italy
    Japan

If we get more than 5 players then Italy, China, ANZAC can be available.

So far we have:

miamibeach(a European Axis country)
    Dany(an Allied country)
    Panzerjager(an Allied country/volunteered to be UK)

Probably if you are pro-Sea Lion you want to play on the Axis side, anti-Sea Lion on the Allied.

• @miamibeach:

At the AAE40 threads there has been heated debate about the validity of an operation Sea Lion, and on what turn(s) it would be viable.  Also debate about the likelyhood of UK attacking the Italian fleet in SZ95 on turn 1…however, Sea Lion is the main tactic with SZ95 not required.  This debate has turned into a Global Game challenge.  Its possible to play this game now since we have the maps, set ups, and other rules.

No countries have been assigned yet, and we are looking for at least 5 players. 
    UK/France
    US/ANZAC
    USSR/China
    Germany/Italy
    Japan

If we get more than 5 players then Italy, China, ANZAC can be available.

So far we have:

miamibeach(a European Axis country)
    Dany(an Allied country)
    Panzerjager(an Allied country/volunteered to be UK)

Probably if you are pro-Sea Lion you want to play on the Axis side, anti-Sea Lion on the Allied.

We don’t have NO’s. Also, how do we keep track of where everything moves?

BTW, how much of the British Fleet do you think can be killed on G1?

• NO’s are the only thing we dont have yet.  When everyone is ready, and if the NO’s are not out yet, we’ll discuss this.

Everyone has a map now, and each player will have to keep track of where every unit is on his own.  Since there are 5 players, any descrepancy can be checked.  Also, I would like to post here all moves and results for every country after they make them.

If I’m playing Germany and getting ready for Sea Lion…probably the two(one of which is French) CA’s in 112, the DD/TRS in 106, and the BB/DD in 110.

• @miamibeach:

NO’s are the only thing we dont have yet.  When everyone is ready, and if the NO’s are not out yet, we’ll discuss this.

Everyone has a map now, and each player will have to keep track of where every unit is on his own.  Since there are 5 players, any descrepancy can be checked.  Also, I would like to post here all moves and results for every country after they make them.

If I’m playing Germany and getting ready for Sea Lion…probably the two(one of which is French) CA’s in 112, the DD/TRS in 106, and the BB/DD in 110.

So what does that leave Britain with around Britain?

• Assuming average dice rolls, DD/TRS in 109, and BB/CA in 111.

• @miamibeach:

Assuming average dice rolls, DD/TRS in 109, and BB/CA in 111.

And what navy does Germany have left? 2 subs, the cruiser, and the battleship?

• Plus builds G1.

• Hopefully there will be a Global Battlemap up soon.  I guess we could have separate European and Pacific map files, but the way the land and SZs connect might be ambiguous.  If nothing else you could use the Global images we’ve got and photoshop units and numbers in.

Man, I hope there’s a TripleA mod up for the AA40 games soon.  Probably going to be a couple of years, however, especially with all the new neutrality rules.  Grrr…  when they have a computer version with save games I will probably never leave the house again.

I’d like to join the game, preferably Axis side.  Not very good with the new rules however, have only played AA50 lately.  I suppose we could start a game on the “play game by forum” here.  It’s got a dice roller, that’s pretty much all you need.  The rest is asthetics.

• I’ll try to locate the link, but Emperor T posted the NOs and Bennyboy confirmed them, plus Bob Mickelson’s chart has them.  We don’t have the AAE40 NOs, but the AAG40 NOs are already out there.

• A serious G1 Sealion build at the LEAST should include a carrier (with 2 fighters to be landed on it) and either 2 trans or a sub and destroyer.  There’s no way your cruiser and bs are going to survive whatever is left of the Royal Navy and RAF UK1.

There are at least two options for Sealion:

1.  Destroy pretty much the entire British/French fleet around Britain with the Luftwaffe G1 and use the starting subs for soak hits.  Force Britain to build ground units in response to your transport build(s) G1 and/or G2.  It will be a straight-up dice slug-fest match for England with the UK having the advantage in ground units but surviving German air deciding the battle outcome.

PROS:  If you roll well you have a decent shot at winning the game early.

CONS:  If you roll badly you’ve just wasted 2 turns of IPCs that could have been prepping for Russia.  Might still be able to maintain control of Atlantic for at least a little while with the carrier and bs however.

2.  Destroy the RAF G1 by pummeling England with 3 fig 3 tac and 1 bomber against Britain’s 2 inf 3 fig and the AA hits.  Should have at least 2 fighters survive, the subs plus fighter from Norway kills about 1/2 the starting British fleet.  Britain is forced to split IPCs between land and naval units.  If the remaining fleet isn’t reinforced G2 you can kill it at leisure and build more transports for the invasion.  If the UK just builds a bunch of naval units build more subs and air for a KO blow while building enough transports to take out a UK2 all land unit build.  If you’re feeling really plucky G2 and you built 2 transports G1 instead of a sub and dd you can invade Scotland with 3 loaded transports and throw the UK into a scare.  Hell, if Britain just turtles with naval units in the Channel just drop your transport stack off in Scotland anyway.

IT CAN BE DONE!!!

PROS:  Knocking out the 3 starting fighters in the UK drastically reduces the UK’s chances for survival against a determined Sealion attempt.

CONS:  You’re throwing away 75%+ of your airforce round 1 to increase your odds of a successful Sealion.

Ye gods, I really really want to try these strats out.

• Welcome aboard SgtBlitz!  I would go for your #2 option.

Panzerjager…on the Pacific NO’s…not sure if they will be the same for a Global game, but I think we could fairly safely assume they are.  I remember seeing the NO’s in a post somewhere…finding them would be great!

I have a high resolution global map, and just today someone posted a map of the western hemisphere showing the sea zone connections…which I also now have and can share.

Calvinhobbesliker…there should be 1 or 2 SUBs in 106.  MAYBE 1 SUB in 110.  In 112: 1BB(flipped I’m sure), CA, 1TRS.  Add to that the first turn builds of 1CV(2FTR’s landing on it), 1TRS, and either another TRS, or probably better yet a SUB.

Ok, so now we have:

maimibeach(a Euro-Axis county)
    Dany(Allies)
    Panzerjager(Allies/volunteered to be UK)
    SgtBlitz(Axis)

We need at least one more Allied player.

• I’ll be the US and France

• This link has a fan created chart with all the Global NOs…http://www.axisandallies.org/forums/index.php?topic=19490.0

• Panzerjager…thanks for the link!

Ok, Calvinhobbesliker, your in.

We now have 5.  Anyone else that wants to join can, but will be limited to a minor power.

Dany, do you mind being USSR/China?..or work something out with Panzerjager?
    SgtBlitz, what do you want to do?

miamibeach(a Euro-Axis country)
    Dany(Allies)
    Panzerjager(Allies/UK)
    SgtBlitz(Axis)
    Calvinhobbesliker(US/France)

• I dont mind at all. I have never played an internet game tho. How does it work?

• '18 '17 '16 '15 Customizer

I’d play, but I have qualms about the online experience of a game. And I don’t think it would be that fun to be a serious player, but get stuck with a minor power. Plus I’d like to savour my anticipation until I get to cradle the game in my arms… but that won’t last long, becasue it will be on the floor and setup ASAP.

As for Sealion (G1 or 2): yes it may be possible, anything is, after all… but I would not count on it as a viable strategy, because I see it only very rarely working. I do not think the cost/benefit of it justifies any such risk by the German player. If they take England, one of two things could happen, both breaking that game: either Germany fortifies it and the Allies inevitably lose due to the absence of a major power… or Germany loses it to the Americans, after which Germany will still lose the game due to the early squandering of men and equipment.

• @LHoffman:

As for Sealion (G1 or 2): yes it may be possible, anything is, after all… but I would not count on it as a viable strategy, because I see it only very rarely working.

A lot of things are possible, but a G1 Sealion is not one of them.  It is in fact impossible.

If they take England, one of two things could happen, both breaking that game: either Germany fortifies it and the Allies inevitably lose due to the absence of a major power… or Germany loses it to the Americans, after which Germany will still lose the game due to the early squandering of men and equipment.

Most likely the latter.

• Even if Germany Throws away roughly 120 IPCs on UK for a G3 capture I would still say it would be worth it. The Axis immediately get a net gain of ~60 IPCs from plunder. Add in the ~60 IPC of UK planes/lad units lost and you are probably even. Even if the US (or maybe even USSR  :lol:) Takes it back in 1-2 turns. Plus since the IC downgrades, UK loses ~20 IPCs more. This also stops it from breaking the game the other way since it will be hard for Germany to fortify it very strong with just a minor IC.

• If you want an extra player i dont mind playing Anzac or Italy.

• @Dany:

I dont mind at all. I have never played an internet game tho. How does it work?

SgtBlitz suggests there is a die roller program we can use at this site.  If not, then there are many die rollers we can choose from on-line.  We can pick one we all can use.  Basically, we should all trade e-mails at some point when we are ready so the die roll reports come in to everyone.  When a player makes his move, he can do it as a report to this thread.  When he is ready to roll, he can specify what he is rolling for and have the on-line die roller send the die roll report to everyone’s e-mail.  When a decision must be made by the non-phasing player…ie…scramble decisions from an island airbase, then the phasing player must inform the non-phasing player when the time comes before any die is rolled.  We can do this in other ways too, I’m sure…so if anyone has ideas, please respond.

SgtBlitz…I think one of us should play Germany and the other Japan/Italy.  Do you have a preference?

The Players:

miamibeach(Axis)
    Dany(USSR/China)
    Panzerjager(UK/ANZAC)
    SgtBlitz(Axis)
    Calvinhobbesliker(US/France)

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m