Malta and scrambling to defend the sea zone

• If italy moves units into the sea zone around Malta, does it have to attack the island for the fighters to scramble?  Or can Malta scramble just by the mere presence of the navy there.  And when is this attack initiated.  For example… If Italy moves sea units through the sea zone, does the scramble stop the naval movement and initiate a battle?

• You cant scrable to stop them from going through, but you can scramble if they plan to stay in the sea zone with malta.

• cool thanks

• Meaning that if a combat is conducted in that sea zone (naval battle or amphibious assault), you can scramble the planes to either help in said naval battle or to attack the ships involved in the amphibious assault.  Whenever there is an amphibious assault any naval battles in the sea zone from which the assault is launched MUST be completed before the amphibious assault is conducted by rule, so yes, the planes would fight the ships before the land units landed.

• What if there isnt an attack though, say if italy wants to ferry troops through the malta sea zone to reinforce africa.  Can I scramble to stop them?

• @General:

What if there isnt an attack though, say if italy wants to ferry troops through the malta sea zone to reinforce africa.  Can I scramble to stop them?

No. BTW, in case you don’t know, you need to build an airbase on Malta for it to scramble

• Non-Combat movement is not subject to scramble, though of course, they will still end up in the same sea zone for you to attack them during the UK turn, though you won’t be able to use them for anything else on your turn, obviously, like you would if you were able to scramble them.

• @General:

What if there isnt an attack though, say if italy wants to ferry troops through the malta sea zone to reinforce africa.  Can I scramble to stop them?

If its a non combat move (reinforce) then there is no scramble in that situation. If Italy was attacking the N African coast (Lib/Tob) then the UK (or its allies) could scramble its air from Malta to try and take out the invasion force, or at least stop bombardment.

• @calvinhobbesliker:

@General:

What if there isnt an attack though, say if italy wants to ferry troops through the malta sea zone to reinforce africa.  Can I scramble to stop them?

No. BTW, in case you don’t know, you need to build an airbase on Malta for it to scramble

SHhhh!!! Don’t tell the Duche!!!

• I was under the assumtion that if you have an AB on Malta, you can scramble fighters to attack any enemy vessels entering or moving thru the seazone?

• The rules for scrambling specifically state that you may only scramble if combat is occurs in the sea zone surrounding the island with the air base.  This combat may be either a straight naval battle if defending naval units exist in the sea zone or just an amphibious attack launched from the sea zone if there are no existing defending naval units.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m