• can’t UK just smash italian navy, rendering them almost out of the game?
    the AC from gibraltar, ships from egpyt, tac bomber, fighter…

• @Mysterious:

Italy goes first

UK goes first

• The problem is that Italy has really only one place to worry about, and that is the Med and Africa. The UK not only has to worry about the Atlantic, South Asia, Africa, the Med., they also have to protect against a German Sealion. Even if Italy loses her fleet in the first turn they will be able to rebuild and eventually take control of the Med.

• south asia is in global
    africa and the med are quite the same
    i still don’t believe a sealion to be possible, or atleast 1 tac bomb and carrier won’t make the difference between defeat and victory of sealionn, while it can be in africa
    (and round 3 US comes in force, so italy won’t have much with only 1 transport)

• On turn 1 the UK naval forces in the med amount to 1 Cruiser, 1 Destroyer and a Carrier with 1 Tac Bomber.  It’s suicide to send that against 2 Cruisers, a BB and a Destroyer.  Using the Alexandria fighter in a naval assault is also bad- Alexandria is already weak and you need all the support you can get.  A better strategy would be to move the CV and destroyer into sea zone 96 and force Italy to engage you.  That also blocks an supporting BB shot on any amphibious assault by Italy on Alexandria.

• @ll:

On turn 1 the UK naval forces in the med amount to 1 Cruiser, 1 Destroyer and a Carrier with 1 Tac Bomber.  It’s suicide to send that against 2 Cruisers, a BB and a Destroyer.  Using the Alexandria fighter in a naval assault is also bad- Alexandria is already weak and you need all the support you can get.  A better strategy would be to move the CV and destroyer into sea zone 96 and force Italy to engage you.  That also blocks an supporting BB shot on any amphibious assault by Italy on Alexandria.

He meant attacking the part with 1 cruiser 1 battleship in a Taranto raid

• Even doing that is incredibly risky.  The British forces aren’t exactly even in a Taranto battle.  Chances are the Italians will lose the Cruiser and be able to repair the BB next turn- not a good trade off to losing a Cruiser and Destroyer and possibly a Tac Bomber.  I still say its better to concentrate everything near the Suez Canal and make a stand till the US can enter Morocco/Algeria.  If anything, use the small French fleet to damage the Italians just to force them to think what to buy.    There’s a good shot Italy will jump to 16-17 IPCs after her 1st turn. (South France, Bulgaria, Kenya, Tunisia and maybe Sudan)  Lets assume her 1st purchases (with 10 IPCs) is a just a Transport.  On turn 2, you’re talking either 2 fighters, or even a Destroyer+Cruiser or even subs.  It really makes any potential UK naval win into a Pyrrhic Victory.

• Yea he was talking about just sz 95 (Italian bb,cr, tpt). UK goes before Italy, so you can hit them before they merge their fleet or build an AB for protection (if you can scramble w/two islands in one sz). UK brings cr, dd, tac, you can also get a ftr in from Alex, or England. You don’t have to take the carrier in if you don’t want to, it could go to sz 93 to meet up w/French to land surviving planes (or fly over one from England non comb to sz 93). It would still be risky for UK, but Italy will have a hard time if it loses the backbone for its fleet plus the tpt.

Edit:
    Italy would have to deliver 4 hits w/only two units (min 2 rds), UK needs 3 hits w/4 units (could be over in 1 rd) and both get to roll a 4.  I know the chances for the battle going two rds is high. Then you place your carrier w/French (sz 93). If you win the orig battle their counter attack shouldn’t hurt you to much (they would only have 4 units to counter attack sz 93). You keep ships in the med (Italian NO), and if they counter attack you sz 93, then their probably exposing a lone tpt reinforcing Africa. If you are real ballsy you could even bring in Egypt transport to take Sard, or Sicily.

• @WILD:

Yea he was talking about just sz 95 (Italian bb,cr, tpt). UK goes before Italy, so you can hit them before they merge their fleet or build an AB for protection (if you can scramble w/two islands in one sz). UK brings cr, dd, tac, you can also get a ftr in from Alex, or England. You don’t have to take the carrier in if you don’t want to, it could go to sz 93 to meet up w/French to land surviving planes (or fly over one from England non comb). It would still be risky for UK, but Italy will have a hard time if it loses the backbone for its fleet plus the tpt.

I think Z95 is more than 5 spaces from England. Also, they may be dead after G1

• @calvinhobbesliker:

No you fly over France from London (or use the Alex ftr). You have to bring in the carrier in non combat if your London ftr survives, unless you take it as a casualty. I haven’t really looked at the German set-up, is a sea lion possible G1?

• @WILD:

@calvinhobbesliker:

No you fly over France from London (or use the Alex ftr). You have to bring in the carrier in non combat if your London ftr survives, unless you take it as a casualty. I haven’t really looked at the German set-up, is a sea lion possible G1?

I meant using 7 planes on West Ger to attack England. The land units can take Paris with a 95% chance

• Yea I can see Germany just trying to clear off the RAF w/just one inf on England (and AA gun) good call. If they do that though they wouldn’t be taking out as much of The Royal Navy though.

Edit: W Germ has 2 ftrs and 3 tacs, but there are others that can make it to London. The ftr on Holl, and the Germ Bmr making it 7 planes like you said.

• @WILD:

@calvinhobbesliker:

Theoretically yes, but its tough.  Germany needs to clear the CA from SZ112 and then either the DD & BB in SZ110 or the CA/BB combo in SZ111.  The more I look at it, a Scotland landing would be the best bet for a Sea Lion.  Soctland itself is empty, and attacking SZ111 means there’s no ASW to block your wolf pack from sinking the fleet there.  Use the Luftwaffe to take out the RAF, then all the Brits have is that lone infantry in London to deal with a Sea Lion landing up north…

• @ll:

@WILD:

@calvinhobbesliker:

Theoretically yes, but its tough.  Germany needs to clear the CA from SZ112 and then either the DD & BB in SZ110 or the CA/BB combo in SZ111.  The more I look at it, a Scotland landing would be the best bet for a Sea Lion.  Soctland itself is empty, and attacking SZ111 means there’s no ASW to block your wolf pack from sinking the fleet there.  Use the Luftwaffe to take out the RAF, then all the Brits have is that lone infantry in London to deal with a Sea Lion landing up north…

G1 can’t land since there are blocks. By G2, there may be 10-11 inf in London. Remember that there is a French inf there too. Also, if Germany goes for Sealion, I won’t attack the It fleet

• There is also a French CA in sz112 to accompany the UK CA. I agree with Calvin, with the blockers you can’t get do a G1 Sea Lion, and UK will be ready G2 if/when you clear the path.

• @calvinhobbesliker:

@ll:

@WILD:

@calvinhobbesliker:

G1 can’t land since there are blocks. By G2, there may be 10-11 inf in London. Remember that there is a French inf there too. Also, if Germany goes for Sealion, I won’t attack the It fleet

Actually there is a chance for a G1 landing if you’re brave.  There UK& French CAs in SZ112 and a UK CA/BB in SZ111.  The German fleet (1 CA + BB) can deal with the SZ112 Cruiser.  The SZ111 fleet is trickier- you’ve got a Sub in SZs 124 and 118 and I’d add the Bomber in Germany and possibly the fighter in Norway.  Those should be able to get rid of the UK fleet, leaving the way open for your lone transport from SZ 113 carrying 2 Infantry to hit Scotland.  It’s a risk… but if it pays off… you seriously endanger UK.

• Umm, you can’t do that. The transport can’t go through the DD/French CC and it can’t wait until combat is over to move and do another combat

• Dammit… now I feel like an ass… my group never abided by the combat moves all at once rule… we did them one by one, it made the game a bit more dynamic.

• @ll:

Dammit… now I feel like an a**… my group never abided by the combat moves all at once rule… we did them one by one, it made the game a bit more dynamic.

Cheater cheater pumpkin eater  :evil:

• @Almano:

@Mysterious:

Italy goes first

UK goes first

OK, I know for a fact this is already somewhere on the forums, as I have seen it before, but I’ve completely forgotten. What’s the turn order?

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m