• Djensen says:

“There are three types of neutrality: friendly, unfriendly, and strict.”

-and-
    (regarding attacking unfriendly neutrals)

“If the attack fails, the territory becomes allied with the side with which they are friendly. The territory must still be claimed by a friendly in the same manner as if it were a friendly neutral.”

What does this mean?

a) the attacked unfriendly neutral becomes friendly with the attacker’s side/it switched positions
    b) the attacked unfriendly neutral becomes nothing… it remains friendly/unfriendly with the same powers as before
    c) unfriendly neutrals are different from friendly neutrals, and only become friendly to any side once they are attacked by the other side.

If you have a guess/opinion, feel free to share.  If you have a confirmed answer, please link to the confirmation.

Thanks!

• Unfriendly Neutrals
    A power may only move into an unfriendly neutral territory to attack it so it is considered a combat movement. By moving into the territory the army is activated and and a battle ensues. In order to capture the unfriendly neutral territory, the army must be defeated. If the invader wins, their gain control of the territory, and their production goes up by the amount on the territory. If the attack fails, the territory becomes allied with the side with which they are friendly. The territory must still be claimed by a friendly in the same manner as if it were a friendly neutral.

I copied and pasted this from the A&A Euro 40 preview 3 on the main page, and it looks easy enough to me.

If Germany invades Turkey and fails then it becomes Pro-Allied allowing the Russians on their turn to march in and claim them.

• I think it means that it doesn’t change except that when it is claimed, only the troops that survived the attack are captured. This would be to stop 1 INF being left, then suddenly more troops are spawned from nowhere.

• @MrBlack103:

I think it means that it doesn’t change except that when it is claimed, only the troops that survived the attack are captured. This would be to stop 1 INF being left, then suddenly more troops are spawned from nowhere.

ah… this makes sense.  Thank you.

• Customizer

Still don’t understand this.  If the surviving Turks are now Allied who places the units?

If they are not placed then surely the territory reverts to neutrality, otherwise how do you keep track of it now being “Pro-Allied”?

• You place the Pro-Allied token on it to keep….track…oh wait…nevermind…let the confusion begin!!

• @Flashman:

Still don’t understand this.  If the surviving Turks are now Allied who places the units?

If they are not placed then surely the territory reverts to neutrality, otherwise how do you keep track of it now being “Pro-Allied”?

Good point.  maybe you have to lay them down… b/c they are sleeping until they get woken up by another ally  :-D :-D :-D :roll:

• There probably should have been a neutral unit for this circumstance (when you don’t defeat the neutral army) so you can track it until you actually claim it. I would think you only get to keep the surviving inf. I heard someone say they will use Chinese units for this, as most neutrals are on the Euro map. I would think it would be a rare case that you don’t finish the job, and in that case your enemy will most likely move in pretty quick. I’m glad they did not assign neutrals to a power, and left it up to the players to decide. I wouldn’t like it if say this country goes to UK if attacked etc…

@Stoney229:

maybe you have to lay them down… b/c they are sleeping until they get woken up by another ally  :-D :-D :-D :roll:

That’s actually not a bad idea

• Official Q&A

It doesn’t matter whose units you use, as long as they’re from the correct side.  While the formerly neutral territory is now allied with a side, its units can’t move until a friendly power moves land units into the territory (noncombat).  At that point, the territory will be claimed by that power, a control marker will be placed, and the units will be exchanged for the controlling power’s units (if necessary).  You will know if this hasn’t yet happened simply because the territory will not yet have a control marker.

• Ok I can see that is reasonable.

• Customizer

Thanks.

Can we assume, then, that the neutral infantry are a once only force and cannot be replaced when the power moves in to take control?

What happens if there is a “wipeout” in the battle and all units eliminated?

• Official Q&A

@Flashman:

Can we assume, then, that the neutral infantry are a once only force and cannot be replaced when the power moves in to take control?

Yes.

@Flashman:

What happens if there is a “wipeout” in the battle and all units eliminated?

The same thing, except there will be no units for the allied power to claim.  You could always place an upside down control marker to indicate the territory’s status.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m