• '18 '17 '16 '15 Customizer

My question regards aircraft survival after naval battles. Specifically, how far surviving defenders may move to land.

If the defender wins the engagement and all attackers are destroyed, and the defender has no carriers left… the planes must find a friendly spot to land. I believe the rulebook says they may move 1 space to find a friendly territory or carrier. Does this mean that (if they are initially in an SZ without a friendly island) they may move to an adjacent SZ and then land on a friendly island there, or a friendly territory bordering that SZ? Because they are technically moving only ONE space, although it is actually 2 movements.

Or can the defending planes only make ONE movement? For example, US attacks Japanese fleet in Philippines. US controls the island. US fleet destroyed, Jap fleet destroyed. Japs have 2 fighters left. Are they now lost because they cannot land by making only ONE movement?

Or are they able to move out of the Philippine SZ and then land in, say, China or Kwangtung (I do not have a map in front of me… whichever boarders the SZ adjacent to the Philippine one)? Or may they move out of the Philippine SZ and land on a friendly island, in an adjacent SZ?

Thanks - - - LHoff

• Official Q&A

All land territories with names and sea zones with numbers are spaces.  An island is a separate space - it’s not part of the sea zone surrounding it.  As a result, moving to an island in an adjacent sea zone would be moving two spaces, and therefore illegal.  The bottom line is that the planes are only allowed to cross one border when attempting to find a place to land.

• '18 '17 '16 '15 Customizer

@Krieghund:

All land territories with names and sea zones with numbers are spaces.  An island is a separate space - it’s not part of the sea zone surrounding it.  As a result, moving to an island in an adjacent sea zone would be moving two spaces, and therefore illegal.  The bottom line is that the planes are only allowed to cross one border when attempting to find a place to land.

That is how I would have interpreted it. However, it leaves defending aircraft very little chance of surviving after a battle. Which I guess doesn’t matter to me. I just wanted to know the truth, because we have had numerous arguments pertaining to this. Some getting quite heated.

Thanks Krieg.

As a side note… if the attacker were to win the battle, but all his ships were destroyed… his planes may use whatever movement they have remaining to find a friendly base/carrier. Correct? And if they do not have movement left they are destroyed?

• Official Q&A

That’s correct.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m