• Was looking over the new info about europe and was wondering how everyone thought it would effect global.  There are a few big changes that will make a huge impact IMHO.

1)  Russia can nab Korea on turn 1 with 2-3 INF, not a big deal, but will slow Japan down in northern china.  Combined with a possible funnel of russian units into china it may be possible to stall Japan in china for once!  Also, on turn 2 there will still be a stack of around 13-14 russian inf that can hit Korea or Manchuria.

1. Extra sea zones near India means it might be possible to hide blockers!  This would be a great way to slow down/stop India crush.  There may also be a few more UK naval units down there but I cannot tell and they may be needed against Italy.

2. Possible Minor UK IC in other half of India.  I think this will be a common build on turn 1 not just to help hold India but also to help fight off Italy.  And while 3 more ground units a turn isn’t a big deal, it would allow the possibility of a decent sized UK fleet in the pacific that can be used in the med as well later on.

3. Can opener!  UK and ANZAC can do a can opener for the US.  This is huge, as a stack of US subs can become a real danger to Japan, defending SZ 6 will be more difficult, etc.

4. UK liberation of Chinese.  With UK going before China, Burma road will be much more interesting.  On turn 1, for example, I can see sending the UK burma inf, along with all planes for one turn in Yunnan, which just on turn 1 ends with China having extra infantry.

5. US can now surge Pacific with all its money on turn 1, 2, etc to gain advantage, then just play keep up if they want.  This will allow the US to get a decent Pacific fleet in action.  While going all pacific will hurt the Europe front, it will not be difficult to use the India IC to face off with Italy.  I can see why the incomes have to be seperate or the US/UK would just surge one theater.

• @bugoo:

1. UK liberation of Chinese.  With UK going before China, Burma road will be much more interesting.  On turn 1, for example, I can see sending the UK burma inf, along with all planes for one turn in Yunnan, which just on turn 1 ends with China having extra infantry.

Unless the political rules from Pac are still in effect. This move would bring just UK and ANZAC into war with Japan, without any American help!  :cry:

• @bugoo:

1)  Russia can nab Korea on turn 1 with 2-3 INF, not a big deal, but will slow Japan down in northern china.  Combined with a possible funnel of russian units into china it may be possible to stall Japan in china for once!  Also, on turn 2 there will still be a stack of around 13-14 russian inf that can hit Korea or Manchuria.

I don’t see that happening, at least not on turn one.

From what I’ve heard, these infantry will be scattered, and will take time mobilize to even strike at Manchuria. This will more than likely telegraph Soviet intentions to the Japanese, they’ll be able to prepare for the upcoming onslaught, especially since they don’t have to move those strategically fortified units to deal with China Proper for quite awhile.

Other methods, such as a Japanese minor IC build on Manchuria during J1 may discourage Soviet designs.

• @McMan: I was assuming a J1 war dec, else yeah that’d be foolish.

@JayVon: Russia starts with 6 inf in each Amur, Sakha, and Buryatia, and goes before Japan.  They can use inf from Amur to take Korea, then stack Amur with whats left.

• @bugoo:

@McMan: I was assuming a J1 war dec, else yeah that’d be foolish.

@JayVon: Russia starts with 6 inf in each Amur, Sakha, and Buryatia, and goes before Japan.  They can use inf from Amur to take Korea, then stack Amur with whats left.

Oh crap!

Sorry, bugoo. I forgot that Amur does indeed connect to Korea. Kind of ignored that fact since the Russians units aren’t in the setup. Haha!

I still believe that since Japanese forces don’t need to move from Manchuria to deal with China, even with Soviet incursions into Korea, it can be retaken and with airpower the defending infantry in Amur can be overtaken.

I do agree with you that it can, and will stall the Japanese, and is a worthwhile strategy.

• Yeah, I can see the allies surging the Pacific half for the first 2 or 3 turns to contain Japan, then going all out against Germany/Italy, mainly Italy.

I just wish Russia had an AA gun over there.  Those will be the most valuable piece on land on that half of the board sadly.

• I agree, airpower on that side of the map will be essential, and anyway to effectively counter it would be nothing short of heaven sent.

• UK or ANZAC might be able to SBR an Airbase ahead of the US turn to prevent scrambling. (Assuming one of them saved IPC for the Bomber, purchase ahead of time, AND it was close enough).

• ooo didn’t think about that one, although if the AB is worth bombing that means it has alot of fighters on it, which means alot of interceptors so that will probably be a once every 10 games, but still huge when it happened.

• @bugoo:

… which means alot of interceptors …

Good point! That would be a big deterrent to try to SBR the airbase.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m