• Now some of these make no sense from a game point of view, others from a realism point of view, but these are just mine.  This is not meant as a ‘fix’, just a what were they thinking type thing.

1. US transport at Pearl, alone.  Its just so sad to see the only hope the US has of doing anything before turn 3 die to a sub you can’t even scramble against.

2. two UK transports in SZ 37.  If nothing else, this is why a J1 DOW is so popular, not only is it a 14 IPC swing (34 if you count the BB) but it stops the UK from gaining 8 IPCs on the first turn, and 16 on the second.  Why are all the eggs in one basket?

3. UK fighter in Burma.  There is nothing it can reach the ones in India cannot, but it cannot hit the SZ near Java which is quite annoying.

4. 3 ANZAC figs in New Zealand.  I mean, was most of the ANZAC air force stationed there historically?  Just seems very odd.

Any ideas on why these units are there, other than to annoy me?  Is there a historical reason that someone knows?

• I’m with you, bugoo.  Many of those placements annoy me too.  Some day I will have to force myself to forgo the J1 attack just to see how it goes, but paralyzing the Allies by sinking every ship not stationed at California or India is too much to pass up.

I did look up naval positionings and strengths before seeing your post here, to see if the navy at Singapore is realistic.  Bottom line - it was hard to tell, because transports or transporting capacity was not listed since they are not warships.  Singapore did have a fair amount of various ships (cruisers, destroyers, and various small gunships), but the famous Prince of Wales battleship that the Japs sunk around Singapore was not even sent there until the fall of 1941, so I don’t know why there’s a battleship at Singapore in a 1940 setup.  Kinda makes me wonder about setup, like you.

• So you mean to tell me, the UK BB that dies turn 1, should be a cruiser at best on the board? lol that is wonderful, just wonderful.

• @bugoo:

Now some of these make no sense from a game point of view, others from a realism point of view, but these are just mine.  This is not meant as a ‘fix’, just a what were they thinking type thing.

1. US transport at Pearl, alone.  Its just so sad to see the only hope the US has of doing anything before turn 3 die to a sub you can’t even scramble against.

2. two UK transports in SZ 37.  If nothing else, this is why a J1 DOW is so popular, not only is it a 14 IPC swing (34 if you count the BB) but it stops the UK from gaining 8 IPCs on the first turn, and 16 on the second.  Why are all the eggs in one basket?

3. UK fighter in Burma.  There is nothing it can reach the ones in India cannot, but it cannot hit the SZ near Java which is quite annoying.

4. 3 ANZAC figs in New Zealand.  I mean, was most of the ANZAC air force stationed there historically?  Just seems very odd.

Any ideas on why these units are there, other than to annoy me?  Is there a historical reason that someone knows?

1. It is just one transport
    2. Oh well!
    3. Fly it over to India!
    4. That one I kind of agree.

• 1. That one always bugged me too.
    2.yea that also seemed silly to me because you would think (common sense) that the main transport fleet of a power would right next to the capitol.
    3. Yea that seemed silly to me as well by my guess
    would be that maybe the placement is historical in nature?
    4.  Those has always bugged me even in the first game I played. They were completely out if place to attack were they would be needed.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m