• I like to use actual pieces to represent the units, which is easy since the map is so large. However, I’ve had to use chips in a few cases:
    1. Stack of Japanese planes in Kwangsi or French Indochina or somewhere else
    2. Stacks of Japanese tanks
    3. Stacks of American bombers

When have you used chips in P40?

• Almost everytime I have more then 1 unit of the same in a territory. :roll:

• pretty much for anything except for fleets (and even for them if it gets too crowded).

• Depends on the situation…

China I’ll never use chips because I know it’s easier to simply reuse the corpses of their dead infantry like some immortal ghost army.

Navy normally never because there is a psychological effect to using all real pieces for navy.  Normally it can persuade Germany or Japan to not attack it the bigger it looks.  Psychological warfare FTW.

90% of chips goes to ground forces or bombers (Since having more than 1 model of bomber on a tt gets really cramped).  Fighters/Tacs I’ve found can be individually set down unless you’re Japan and have 5-9 in a territory >.>

• @TheCaptain:

Depends on the situation…

China I’ll never use chips because I know it’s easier to simply reuse the corpses of their dead infantry like some immortal ghost army.

Navy normally never because there is a psychological effect to using all real pieces for navy.  Normally it can persuade Germany or Japan to not attack it the bigger it looks.  Psychological warfare FTW.

90% of chips goes to ground forces or bombers (Since having more than 1 model of bomber on a tt gets really cramped).  Fighters/Tacs I’ve found can be individually set down unless you’re Japan and have 5-9 in a territory >.>

This is for Pacific 1940, and I chose it for this specific game since all the territories are large.

• I use chips any time I don’t think I’ll need to move units separately (infantry, tanks). I’ll use them for planes some of the time and almost never for ships.

• Customizer

@D_Runyon:

I use chips any time I don’t think I’ll need to move units separately (infantry, tanks). I’ll use them for planes some of the time and almost never for ships.

Exactly the same here.

• One problem I have seen is that you can’t really use chips for carriers, battleships and transports.  You need to keep track of carriers individually for the planes on board.  You need to be able to assign hits to battleships.  You need to keep track of the cargo on the transports.  For ships, you are only left with stacks of subs or destroyers since a stack of cruisers would not happen often.

Also, because I move my planes around all over the place, I try and leave them on the board and not chipped.  Unfortunately I need the chips because I often run out of planes.  I don’t want that comment to reinvigorate the ‘debate’ about the number of pieces shipped with the game by Wizards.

• My group always uses chips for the land base units and I personally love to use the Task Force markers to hold my naval units.  I get tired of moving all those little Japanese ships all over the pacific one by one.  :wink:

• Mainly use the plastic chips with Infantry.  If there are more than 2-3 Art/Arm then I’ll use plastic chips for them too.

If I’m playing AA42 then I’ll have to use plastic chips for everything due to space.

• Customizer

I always use chips whenever I have more than 1 of that unit type in a space.

I also use blue chips for airbases and black chips for naval bases - easier to see on the board.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m