Japan Takes Western United States on Turn 4

• This was a blind game (Two game boards with the boxes in between, kind of like Battleship)

Turn 1: Sent everything as close to US as possible.  US saw my fleet with recon, then deployed bulk of it’s fleet south to keep my third carrier from linking up.  Strategy was to build transports each turn and send them to us in waves.  Small force with planes kept in China to take territory, most units in Manchuria sent to Korea for transport.

Turn 2: Attack. Took Alaska and Canada with second wave.  US had almost no fleet, which was bad, since I had allocated all fighters for the fleet battle and none for the land invasion.  Invasion failed.  Southern portion of fleet ran into bulk of US navy and had to retreat.  Later hunted down and destroyed with ships and air power.  China on defensive, UK and ANZAC taking territories.

Turn 3: Second wave comes in via Canada and sea.  But was forced to retreat into Canada.  Non bombarding ships fan out to search for remainder of US fleet.  UK, China, and Anzac collecting huge number of IPCs and taking lots of territories in China.  Could have taken Manchuria, but fear of my air force prevented them from being to ambitious.  I fly my entire air force into Alaska.  This was a mistake, since it should have been sent to Canada to protect my ground forces.  US counter attack into Canada resulted in heavy casualties on both sides.  US retreated for fear of loosing, but could have destroyed my entire ground force, winning the game.  Foolishly, I had no more troops shipping across, and was instead preparing for a renewed assault in China.

Turn 4:  Final attack.  Expected to come across huge stack of infantry, but found tanks to my delight.  US wiped out in first round, and 55 IPCs for me.  Allies surrender.

Very close game.  Barely held off allies on both ends.  Logistics won it for me.

• Afterthought:  While I do admit that I was the most skilled of all the players, I don’t think my victory was unduly won.

While blind play was a huge factor, I feel this hindered me more than the Allies, as several critical mistakes and misfortunes almost lost the game for me.  UK and Anzac played perfectly, yet I think China should have been more aggressive.  US played brilliantly, but made bad purchases.  Still, I feel more infantry would have simply increased my plane casualties in the final battle, and not lost me the game.

Also several house rules allowed UK and Anzac to take all of East indies and New Guinnie on turn 1, giving them a huge IPC bonus in the beginning.

While the other three Allies could have been much more agressive, it only would have lost them their small fleets to my airforce.  Yes, they could have taken Manchuria on turn 3, but I didn’t care.

I should also note that Japan itself was never at risk, as I always had a sizable force there.

Overall, I feel it was Japan’s inherent qualities that won the game for me.  It has a huge force that is placed well for quick deployment.

The Allies, even with a lot of IPCs, cannot logistically get enough units into play to really force Japan on the defensive.

A daring player that is willing to commit his entire force can take Western US by turn 4.

• @Upside-down_Turtle:

Afterthought:  While I do admit that I was the most skilled of all the players, I don’t think my victory was unduly won.

While blind play was a huge factor, I feel this hindered me more than the Allies, as several critical mistakes and misfortunes almost lost the game for me.  UK and Anzac played perfectly, yet I think China should have been more aggressive.  US played brilliantly, but made bad purchases.  Still, I feel more infantry would have simply increased my plane casualties in the final battle, and not lost me the game.

Also several house rules allowed UK and Anzac to take all of East indies and New Guinnie on turn 1, giving them a huge IPC bonus in the beginning.

While the other three Allies could have been much more agressive, it only would have lost them their small fleets to my airforce.  Yes, they could have taken Manchuria on turn 3, but I didn’t care.

I should also note that Japan itself was never at risk, as I always had a sizable force there.

Overall, I feel it was Japan’s inherent qualities that won the game for me.  It has a huge force that is placed well for quick deployment.

The Allies, even with a lot of IPCs, cannot logistically get enough units into play to really force Japan on the defensive.

A daring player that is willing to commit his entire force can take Western US by turn 4.

Let’s say Japan captures Hwaii and all of North America. They get 8 for Japan, 6 for Hawaii, 5 for Alaska, Mexico, and BC, and 10 for WUS, giving them 29 ipcs. Meanwhile, the UK has taken the DEI, which adds 16 ipc’s to their total. They have retaken Hong Kong, adding 5, so the UK is making 37 ipc’s a turn at leat. ANZAC is making 15 with its NO, and with UK’s help China should be making around 20(with burma road open). Even with the US’a fall, the allies are outproducing Japan. Japan’s navy is on the other side of the board, unable to interfere.

• Yup, but I still got the 55 IPC prize for knocking out US, which means I can place a ton of units next turn in two major ICs on either side of the map.  1 turn of consolidation, then it’s a massive wall of Japanese ships moving south across the board.

Was the game ended early?  Yes, but there were several factors:

1. Time limit.  Club starts at 5:30 and no new turns after 10:30, making games last about 4-5 turns.  While this may be very short for Axis and Allies standards, the skill level of the guys at this club is such that games are decided that quickly.

2. Psychology.  Western US is never supposed to fall.

3. Victory conditions.  Allies have to actually take Japan, which, frankly, wasn’t going to happen, not with my stack of infantry when all they have is a few transports.  All I needed was 4 more victory cities, which could be picked off easily.  I don’t even need to take Sydney or Calcutta.

• @Upside-down_Turtle:

Yup, but I still got the 55 IPC prize for knocking out US, which means I can place a ton of units next turn in two major ICs on either side of the map.  1 turn of consolidation, then it’s a massive wall of Japanese ships moving south across the board.

1. Time limit.  Club starts at 5:30 and no new turns after 10:30, making games last about 4-5 turns.  While this may be very short for Axis and Allies standards, the skill level of the guys at this club is such that games are decided that quickly.

3. Victory conditions.  Allies have to actually take Japan, which, frankly, wasn’t going to happen, not with my stack of infantry when all they have is a few transports.  All I needed was 4 more victory cities, which could be picked off easily.  I don’t even need to take Sydney or Calcutta.

Was it this club thing that said “West US can’t fall,” or in general?

• @Upside-down_Turtle:

Yup, but I still got the 55 IPC prize for knocking out US, which means I can place a ton of units next turn in two major ICs on either side of the map.  1 turn of consolidation, then it’s a massive wall of Japanese ships moving south across the board.

You think you can take Hong Kong, Shanghai, and Philippines with the Massive British fleet??? If the allies have a greater economy and you have less forces, you’re going to lose, even with the 55 ipc boost.

• You only get 10 IPC’s because the extra 40 is a US National Objective, which you can’t collect as Japan.

• @McMan:

You only get 10 IPC’s because the extra 40 is a US National Objective, which you can’t collect as Japan.

I think he means the income you get for taking the capital.

• Actually, UK, had tons of ground troops.

Yes, they should have gone more navy.

Still, with 80 some IPCs, I drop 5 fully loaded carriers on J5

• @Upside-down_Turtle:

Actually, UK, had tons of ground troops.

I assume you already had planes for them?

• @Upside-down_Turtle:

Why don’t we play a game on the forums to test your strategy?

• @calvinhobbesliker:

@Upside-down_Turtle:

Well to make sure he actually knows how to play he could vs me!

• @Dylan:

@calvinhobbesliker:

@Upside-down_Turtle:

Why do you think he wouldn’t know how to play?

• @calvinhobbesliker:

@Dylan:

@calvinhobbesliker:

@Upside-down_Turtle:

Why do you think he wouldn’t know how to play?

no i just no most people here won’t want to vs me.

• Thanks for the offer, guys.

I have 3 copies of P40, but haven’t opened them because I plan to resell them.

Whenever I play, it’s at my local A&A Club with the boards there.  Otherwise, I’d love to play a game.

Since I can’t actually play you, or at least don’t think it worth to open a whole board for it, I’ll simply concede that you guys are the better players in exchange for my cop-out.

I almost lost that game, too.  Since you guys know what’s coming, I’ll probably get pwned anyway.

• @Upside-down_Turtle:

Thanks for the offer, guys.

Whenever I play, it’s at my local A&A Club with the boards there.  Otherwise, I’d love to play a game.

Since I can’t actually play you, or at least don’t think it worth to open a whole board for it, I’ll simply concede that you guys are the better players in exchange for my cop-out.

I almost lost that game, too.  Since you guys know what’s coming, I’ll probably get pwned anyway.

You could play by forum by downloading ABattlemap

• @Upside-down_Turtle:

Three? I would keep one at least.

Also on this borad you can look at the starting setup pic, started by wild bill it has a blue backround. You could kind of take track, and like the other dude said you could get Abattlemap, but it is kind of a douche.

• @Dylan:

@Upside-down_Turtle:

Also on this borad you can look at the starting setup pic, started by wild bill it has a blue backround. You could kind of take track, and like the other dude said you could get Abattlemap, but it is kind of a douche.

What’s wrong with ABattlemap?

Also, could you answer my questions on your thread about your Napoleonic game?

• @calvinhobbesliker:

@Dylan:

@Upside-down_Turtle:

Okay, well theres nothing wrong with it, it just keeps on crashing and is trying to open on Adobe Reader.

• @Dylan:

@calvinhobbesliker:

@Dylan:

@Upside-down_Turtle:

Okay, well theres nothing wrong with it, it just keeps on crashing and is trying to open on Adobe Reader.

Umm… it’s not supposed to be opened with Adobe Reader.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m