• I’ve noticed that the way in which the global map is divided between A&A Pacific 1940 and Europe 1940 resembles the way in which the world was divided in the secret military agreement reached between Japan, Germany and Italy on 18 January 1942.  A translation of the text of the agreement is given in Appendix D of the book Reluctant Allies: German-Japanese Naval Relations in World War II (U.S. Naval Institute Press, 2001).  The section of the agreement concerning the division of zones of operations reads:

–-

The German and Italian armed forces, as well as the Japanese army and navy, will, within the framework of the zones allocated to them hereinafter, carry out the required operations.

1. Japan

a. The waters to the east of approximately 70 degrees east longitude up to the west coast of the American Continent, as well as the continents and islands located in these waters (Australia, Dutch East Indies, New Zealand, etc.).

b. The Continent of Asia, east of approximately 70 degrees east longitude.

2. Germany and Italy

a. The waters to the west of approximately 70 degrees east longitude up to the east coast of the American Continent, as well as the continents and island located in these waters (Africa, Iceland, etc.).

b. The Near East, the Middle East, and Europe west of approximately 70 degrees east longitude.

3. In the Indian Ocean, each side may carry out operations across the above-agreed boundary according to the situation.

In the A&A 1940 games, the division between the two sets of boards is located slightly to the west of Ceylon.  That works out to be about 80 degrees east longitude, which is a difference of 10 degrees from the line separating the two zones of operation described in the agreement.  (It’s interesting that the agreement defines Asia as being east of 70 degrees east longitude and Europe as being west of it.  A good part of the traditional dividing line between Europe and Asia is formed by the Urals, and they’re located at about 60 degrees east longitude, 10 degrees west of the line used in the agreement.)

• '18 '17 '16 '15 Customizer

Interesting, yes… but I don’t think the similarity between the A&A game and Axis pact you reference is intentional. By that I mean it was a total coincidence. Taking into account all of the other errors in Pacific and previous versions, there is no way that the designers paid that much attention to detail. I bet it just looked like a logical place to split the board for them.

• @LHoffman:

Interesting, yes… but I don’t think the similarity between the A&A game and Axis pact you reference is intentional. By that I mean it was a total coincidence. Taking into account all of the other errors in Pacific and previous versions, there is no way that the designers paid that much attention to detail. I bet it just looked like a logical place to split the board for them.

Yeah. I think they just split it where China ended, and that happened to be there.

Besides, 10 degrees is a large error.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m