• Now that the world game is coming out what will happen to AA50, like will much less people play it, do you think?

• Well, AA50 takes less time and is less complicated, so it still may be used if nit enough time is available for Global.

• I agree… I love AA.  I don’t own AA50, but I’m afraid these rules might have gotten too complicated for me.  And 9 turns will take a lot.  I like that AA is more complicated than Risk, for instance.  Once you play AA you can’t play Risk again.  But I think that AAG will be so complicated and long that the other games will provide a good change of pace.  And they might be necessary starter kits for new AA playesr.  AA50 sounds like the classic, and will stay that way.

• G stands for Global?

• If by classic you mean something that costs more than 3 college textbooks? sure?

• Yes, G stands for global.

And yes, classic is usually interpret to imply a quality, and quality is more expensive.  That’s also why I don’t own AA50, only AA Revised.

• '18 '17 '16 '15 Customizer

@idk_iam_swiss:

If by classic you mean something that costs more than 3 college textbooks? sure?

I think it is a classic, and will remain so. Especially since I now view it as a “smaller” game. Where as it once was huge looking. And it is the smaller, more robust games which generally become the “classics”. I think AA50 was pretty well done overall. The massive box makes it perfect.

Fortunately, I got AA50 before it cost as much as even 1 college text book. $80.00 sounds like a huge amount of money for a board game, but it also sounds like a great deal based on what AA50 is going for now.

How much is it going for these days? Anyone… Anyone… (Bueller…Bueller…)

• On Amazon, the lowest one is $619.
    Someone on Amazon is selling for $1,199.98
    A one with a damaged box is $81.45

• out of stock on damaged box, (for like 2 years now!)

• @reloader-1:

out of stock on damaged box, (for like 2 years now!)

Yeah. What do they mean by damaged box? 2 different companies were selling them at exactly the same price.

Anyway, you have to pay over $600, which is 6-7 college textbooks

• Official Q&A

@brettstarr4:

But I think that AAG will be so complicated and long that the other games will provide a good change of pace.

@Dylan:

G stands for Global?

@brettstarr4:

Yes, G stands for global.

Actually, “AAG” is the commonly accepted abbreviation for A&A Guadalcancal.  “AA40” is the proper abbreviation for the combined 1940 game.

• Official Q&A

A&A Guadalcanal 1940?  What a boring game that would be!  :lol:

Seriously, why is the “G” necessary?  We don’t call Revised, 1942 or Anniversary “global” games.  Global games are the standard.  Exceptions only need to be called out for games of more narrow scope.

@Krieghund:

A&A Guadalcanal 1940?  What a boring game that would be!   :lol:

Seriously, why is the “G” necessary?  We don’t call Revised, 1942 or Anniversary “global” games.  Global games are the standard.  Exceptions only need to be called out for games of more narrow scope.

Krieg,

The only reason, and I think it is a good point, that it should be AA G40 is because Global 40 is technically not its own game. … at least that is what I have been lead to believe. As in, that was why a subforum for it has not been created here. Global 40 will not (at this stage) be sold as a boxed deal (both Pacific and Europe)… so it is not viewed as a separate item in the Avalon Hill catalog. Even though it will effectively be a different game (hence, differernt rule book) from all other games … it does not get marketed as its own game. It is always referenced as the combination of P40 and E40. So, in my opinion, the abbreviated designation ought to be AAG40… in order to differentiate more. And to show that it is a combination of 2 of the smaller theater games. I mean, there are a number of starting dates for AA games; there’s AA42, AAP40, AAE40 and with Anniversary Ed. you’ve got 41 setup and 42 setup…

Personally, the addition of the ‘G’ is helpful. Maybe not necessary, but it serves to define the game.

• @calvinhobbesliker:

Well, AA50 takes less time and is less complicated, so it still may be used if nit enough time is available for Global.

Just as AA42 will continue to be bought and played.  I don’t see everyone dropping the “smaller” games just because a newer global game is around.

Personally I got AA50 when it came out (as a christmas gift from my wife) and will continue to play it … especially since I went through all that trouble to build myself a 3d terrain game board and custom table for it!  ;)

But, I will play AA40 as well … if someone else wants to put together a game and invite me as I won’t likely be buying it (at this point … or maybe I’ll make a new 3d terrain game board and custom table!!!)

• Official Q&A

At the risk of taking this thread further off-topic, and with apologies to Dylan:

@LHoffman:

Krieg,

The only reason, and I think it is a good point, that it should be AA G40 is because Global 40 is technically not its own game. … at least that is what I have been lead to believe. As in, that was why a subforum for it has not been created here. Global 40 will not (at this stage) be sold as a boxed deal (both Pacific and Europe)… so it is not viewed as a separate item in the Avalon Hill catalog. Even though it will effectively be a different game (hence, differernt rule book) from all other games … it does not get marketed as its own game. It is always referenced as the combination of P40 and E40. So, in my opinion, the abbreviated designation ought to be AAG40… in order to differentiate more. And to show that it is a combination of 2 of the smaller theater games. I mean, there are a number of starting dates for AA games; there’s AA42, AAP40, AAE40 and with Anniversary Ed. you’ve got 41 setup and 42 setup…

Personally, the addition of the ‘G’ is helpful. Maybe not necessary, but it serves to define the game.

I can certainly see the value of defining the game in one’s perception.  However, just because the game is sold in two parts doesn’t make it “not its own game”.  It will have different rules (political ones, anyway), a different set-up, and different strategies from the individual games.  It will be far more than the sum of its parts.  Also, its official title in the Rulebook is “Axis & Allies 1940”.

To address the original topic, less people will play AA50 after AAE40 comes out, as some will move on to the new game and not look back.  However, I feel that AA50 will continue to be played, as it will continue to have a niche to fill.  There will be some people who will still prefer it, just as some people still prefer Revised or Classic.  That’s just the nature of things.

Okay, well put. If the game is to be called Axis & Allies 1940, then I see the reasoning. I do see it as its own game, as I think most other people will. My point was based on the information I had which lead me to believe that it was being treated not as its own game. AA40 is fine. I mean, I don’t care all that much. Thanks for the clarification.

And as for the role of AA50 in the future… It won’t die. I won’t play it as much, for sure, but that is mostly due to my personal preference and group play dynamics. I most often play in large groups for extended periods. So AA40 will be ideal for us. Some people don’t have that, so they will want a smaller scale… if I can call AA50 a small scale.

• '10

Its happened with me already. I sold my AA50 and look forward to AA40. I can stll play AA50 as I have ILs large map on my game bench under plexiglass. Printed out the rules and setup cards and have lots of AA plastic units. I painted some classic pieces to use for my Italians. Will have Italian units with AAE1940 when it comes out. More from FMG if they ever get them listed for sale.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m