• Let me start by saying HI. I am new to this board but not new to the game. I have been playing since I was nine years old and loving the game ever since. My best friend growing up and I would play every weekend ( I know like we didn’t have anything else to do). However, ater about five years of intense playing, we learned that the entire game seems to be dependent on the first round. If the first round goes towards the Axis then, the Axis usually win and vice a versa for the Allies. Has anyone else noticed this? And if so what are you comments?

Joe

• Hm, haven´t really noticed that. The first round always seems to be played a certain way and the outcome always seems pretty predictable.

If the first round determined the outcome of the whole game, and the allies win about 90% of the games, then the allies should “win” the first round in 90% of the cases. That doesn´t seem to happen to me.

• I have considered what you have said and thoguht it to be interesting. However, part of my initial posting may be due to playing the same opponent over and over again. However, I have never experienced the Allies winning 90% of the time. There are some extremely clever tricks the Axis can pull out of the hat. I hate to bring recent commentary but if the Axis takes on the strategy of SHOCK AND AWE the Allies can be devasted mentally.

• Really? I would like to hear how you shock your opponent. As, I´m sure, would many others.

• i’m agreeing w/ Morton200 on his points:

1. How do you “shock and awe” your opponant? some nasty straffing business? While i find the odd devestating battle somewhat troubling, i’ve never been shocked or awed in a battle (although this one game with Mr. Ghoul and several with Darthmaximus had me puzzled).
    2. I think that the opening MOVES can have a large impact on the future of the game, and i agree with Don that so do the purchases, however unless you overwhelm even the odds, it is difficult to determine a game’s outcome sometimes until after the 10th round. I think you have just been playing the same opponant to the point where you know each other’s moves and strat’s too well.
      You’re welcome to start/join an online Play By Email Game (PBEM) if you’d like a change.

• The idea of shock and awe in the game of Axis and Allies, it exactly that, an idea. It is more of a poker game face than it is a real set of movements.

To start Germany should purchase two fighters, and the rest infantry. Using her existing air power to wipe out the entire UK navy. As well as sweeping through Africa ( as everyone I am sure knows how). Finally, Germany needs take some USSR territory (does not matter which). At the end of the turn Germany should be collecting near 40!!! IPCs. This comes as a serious blow to any Allied commander. Think about it, the UK is waterless, the USSR is staring down at, at least 4 to 5 fighters, numerous tanks and tons of infantry. Africa is in the bag until the Allied powers can decide how to pump enough resources into her. Therefore, it seems that Germany is truly on her game.

Japan, should immediatly buy an Industrial complex for Manchuria, and one transport. Her combat, of course should include the Pearl Harbor attack, and China, as well as India ( I will not go into the specific movements) After the turn Japan should be collecting near 34 IPCs and knocking on Russia’s back door.

As you know the Allies are somewhat limited the first round, and this advantage of owning the seas and closing in one the IPC victory will put any moderate opponent on his/her knees with a somewhat shocked look on their faces.

• The look of shock would be from the Allied player wondering how spread out Japan just became on J1. That tactic is fine and dandy against the AI from the cdrom game, but I fear you would spend so much time trying to fortify your position after such a sweeping move on J1 you might be putting yourself too far in the hole.

I am much more of a build transports and pass on the Pearl Harbor to protect this fleet of transports guy myself, nothing better then by J3 pumping out 6-8 INF to Manchuria, then building a IC and starting up your ARM building. Just seems to have better odds this way but I do get your point of the Shock and Awe, I am just not a player that would panic from that, I might even get a little more bold and try to take Manchuria from you on R2, causing you even more delay in building up a solid land force and forcing you to focus all effort on taking that back depending upon the way the dice rolled in that battle. Just my two cents anyway.

• It sounds like to me that you are a defensive player (and please correct me if I am wrong)…and this might explain why you would not use the Pearl Harbor attack. I can agree that sometimes the attack does not go as planned. Keep in touch

JoePar22

• '19 Moderator

The only thing that shocks me in this game any more is when I get good dice. :P

• Been there; done that, but not as much as you, dzfish. Hey, I thought you were gonna b gonfer a while? NOT YET?

• '19 Moderator

I actualy am not sure exactly what is going on with that right now. I’m kind of hanging, I think the Army likes it that way. :-?

• The allies should win everyn game, if played well. The axis does not stand a chance. The axis can only win if the allies buy’s wrong.

I played axis almost flawless and still lost…

• if you buy 2 fighters with germany (especially first turn), then russia will smash you a bit.

• 2 fighters…. Lol… No infantry?

• He was refing to above. Save the IPCs to spend during G2 on inf to go with the trans for the Invasion of the UK. :o :roll: :lol:

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m