• At the start of the war Iceland was a free state with the King of Denmark acting as head of state. Shortly after the Dutch fell in May 1940, (right around the games start time), the UK invaded Iceland (with virtually no resistance) to keep the Germans from doing the same. So does this mean that Iceland will start off as Dutch, like DEI, and UK will noncombat in to take control, or will it start out as UK from the get go.

Control of Iceland was then transferred to the US in July of 1941 (before US entered the war), so will there be a special rule to allow the US to stage on Iceland before it gives a DOW, as it did in the war. Iceland should come w/AB and NB.  Larry said that the US would not be able to fly over to the UK w/o a layover in Iceland. I think you could probably use Canada as well, but again US can’t have units on allied soil before its at war.

**Edit, my mistake had the Dutch/Danes mix up. Sorry for the confusion.

• Probably pro-allies neutral?

• From good ol’ Wikipedia:

“After the German occupation of Denmark on 9 April 1940, Althingi (Parliament) declared that the Icelandic Government should assume the Danish king’s duties and take over implementation of foreign affairs and other matters previously handled by Denmark at Iceland’s request. A month later, British Armed Forces occupied Iceland, violating Icelandic neutrality.”

As the game’s historical starting date is June '40 (post-Dunkirk), I figure it’ll start out as a UK territory. Whatever the case, I think it’s safe to say that the Germans will have more pressing things to worry about than taking Iceland off of the Allies. It’ll be a stopping-over place for US planes, with the chance to scramble to defend convoys against Axis naval units, and that’s about it.

So I think there’ll be an air base there for sure, but I don’t think there’ll be any naval base. Nor do I think that there’ll be a special rule to ‘transfer’ it to the US. Remember Larry’s maxim of simplicity in game design. That probably means we won’t be seeing any Danish roundels.  :wink:

• Why would it have a Dutch roundel if it was owned by Denmark?

• I thought the Dutch were from Denmark. Where are the Dutch from?

• @idk_iam_swiss:

I thought the Dutch were from Denmark. Where are the Dutch from?

WOW  :lol:. You know, that probably would have been a good thing to google before posting your cluelessness to the world. The dutch are from the netherlands.

• @The:

@idk_iam_swiss:

WOW  :lol:. You know, that probably would have been a good thing to google before posting your cluelessness to the world. The dutch are from the netherlands.

Actually, all posts above mine seem to imply that Denmark=Dutch

• Just to clear things up. The Dutch are from Netherlands. The Danish are from Denmark.

You be nice Mr. Fire Knight.

• They don’t call them “Dutch East Indies” for nothing  :lol: “Danish East Indies” sounds pretty odd  :mrgreen:

• OK I F’d up, I though something wasn’t right when I posted, just couldn’t put my finger on it. :oops:

• The Danish East Indies……has a nice ring to it.

• @Brain:

Just to clear things up. The Dutch are from Netherlands. The Danish are from Denmark.

You be nice Mr. Fire Knight.

Will do  :-D

• How about the Dutch Vikings and the Danish bankers.

• @The:

@idk_iam_swiss:

You know, you probably should have sensed sarc––

oh forget it the Dutch are from Poland

Polish East Indies anyone?

• @Tralis:

Probably pro-allies neutral?

Iceland don’t have a military

• In bizarro land they are a mighty force.

• @UN:

@The:

@idk_iam_swiss:

You know, you probably should have sensed sarc––

oh forget it the Dutch are from Poland

North-Poland to be exact  :-D

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m