• I was thinking, in 1940, The Soviet union and Nazis Germany were technically neutral to each other. It gave the Russian half of Eastern Europe while Germany got the other half and Finland.
      So how would this be represented in game, would it be like the Japanese-Russian Non-aggression pact, where if Germany invades Russia, then Russia gains either a boost of manpower (extra infantry), or could it be like the US neutrality, where it gets a boost of IPC???
      I wouldn’t mind this, for it could allow Russia to -gasp- invade the Middle East for itself. The US,UK, France, and the other allied powers weren’t’ friendly with the USSR until it became apparent the Russia was getting steamrolled by the Germans. I think this could provide the ultimate answer for ‘what if Hitler never ordered the invasion of the Soviet Union?’.

• '10

Per Larry Harris

it is important to point out that Russia cannot attack a Euro Axis until its turn 4. This is not to say that it can’t be at war with the Euro Axis before that moment. That depends on whether or not they are attacked by them.

Objective from Global game:
    Germany – 5 IPCs representing trade of wheat and oil from the Soviet Union. This bonus ends in the event of war between the two powers.

• Here is a 1940 war poster when Germany and Russia were still working together:

• @Panzer4life:

I was thinking, in 1940, The Soviet union and Nazis Germany were technically neutral to each other. It gave the Russian half of Eastern Europe while Germany got the other half and Finland.

Not quite so actually, the pact did NOT give Finland to Germany, it was among those countries that were supposed to fall under Soviet reign. However, the Soviet Union failed to conquer the country (the Winter War was fought between the two parties in late 1939-early 1940) and Finland was forced to cede the eastern parts of the country in the peace settlement. Unlike e.g. Norway, the country wasn’t occupied by Germany. Finland was drawn into an another war against the Soviet Union once Germany launched Barbarossa. The Finns fought alongside Germany hoping to retain the land it had lost in 1940.
        IMO this is the reason Finland should(and probably will?) start the game as a pro-axis neutral, since it wasn’t officially allied with Germany in 1940.

• I too think Finland could start as a Pro axis neutral. I know that Russia can’t attack a Euro axis power until rd #4, unless provoked. Will Russia be able to invade pro axis /pro allied neutrals from the beginning. Finland could be 2 tt, or Germany could simply miss moving in. Will Russia have the opportunity to invade if Germany doesn’t. There will probably be other pro something neutrals in eastern Europe with in range of Russia as well. So will Russia be able to take them? Germany goes before them, so it would most likely gobble them up first, but it doesn’t have to.

Edit, had some thoughts about US-Brazil (pro allied neutral). Talked myself out of it, as US shouldn’t be able to get control of Brazil (or move units in) until after US is at war. Brazil didn’t give them access until 1942.

• I believe that Larry has stated that the game starts with Finland already belonging to Germany, for simplicity’s sake. Don’t have time to go hunting for the quote today, but I think it’s on his site somewhere.

Honour and fame to the dedicated reader who digs through the archives and substantiates this claim!

• But my point is what does the Soviet union do in the meanwhile. Can it attack anyone, and can Germany not go to war with the Soviet Union? This is what i was aiming at.

• @Panzer4life:

But my point is what does the Soviet union do in the meanwhile. Can it attack anyone, and can Germany not go to war with the Soviet Union? This is what i was aiming at.

After 4 rounds Russia is at war arent they?

• @Panzer4life:

But my point is what does the Soviet union do in the meanwhile. Can it attack anyone, and can Germany not go to war with the Soviet Union? This is what i was aiming at.

Build up it’s defenses for the inevitalbe German onslaught.

• Liaison TripleA '11 '10

Will USSR HAVE to declare war on rd 4? Or can they continue to be neutral if Germany is?

And do they have thier own conditions for victory?

• @Gargantua:

Will USSR HAVE to declare war on rd 4? Or can they continue to be neutral if Germany is?

Page 3 of the fact sheet, reply #43 states that Russia cannot attack until its turn four,it could only attack a Euro Axis if it was attacked first before turn 4.

• @Krupp:

@Gargantua:

Page 3 of the fact sheet, reply #43 states that Russia cannot attack until its turn four,it could only attack a Euro Axis if it was attacked first before turn 4.

I guess that doesn’t answer the question.

• @Brain:

@Krupp:

@Gargantua:

I guess that doesn’t answer the question.

It would imply that Russia doesn’t have to, at least the way it is currently stated.  However, considering that would leave an entire Nation with essentially nothing to do, I doubt that will happen; whether it is a specific game mechanic or just the player’s choice…

• Most of the players will be engaging in Sitzkreig. While Germany has its BLitzkrieg. The big guys (USA, Russia) Will be sitting around for a couple of turns while the Axis Picks one front to wage war in.

• The USSR will probably be busily gobbling the neutral countries of the Baltic states, just like they actually did in 1940. There’ll be lots for them to do there, and in the Middle East, while gearing up to defend against Germany.

• @Make_It_Round:

The USSR will probably be busily gobbling up neutral countries in the Balkans, just like they actually did in 1940. There’ll be lots for them to do there, and in the Middle East, while gearing up to defend against Germany.

So there are going to be some added neutral territories between Russia and Germany that they can grab before the ultimate confrontation?

• @Brain:

@Make_It_Round:

The USSR will probably be busily gobbling up neutral countries in the Balkans, just like they actually did in 1940. There’ll be lots for them to do there, and in the Middle East, while gearing up to defend against Germany.

So there are going to be some added neutral territories between Russia and Germany that they can grab before the ultimate confrontation?

So is this insinuating that powers that are not yet at war (neutral, but their alliance has already been determined like US/Russia) will be able to enter pro to their side neutrals, and bring them on board before they them selves are on board? I though this might be the case as well, but after thinking about it now it sounds unlikely. IDK maybe Russia will have this special ability. Would this mean that US would be able to enter Brazil (if it starts off pro ally). Brazil should start off pro allied neutral, it didn’t enter the war until Jan 1942, after the US did. In Pac 40 the US wasn’t allowed to go into any tt that wasn’t US owned, I would think they would keep it the same way. That being said there was no pro something neutrals in Pac.

• The US is a special case, in that it’s neutral and not allowed to go to war. The UK, ANZAC and Japan are neutral and allowed to go to war. If every nation that was neutral couldn’t go to war then WW2 couldn’t have happened… wouldn’t make such a great WW2 game, really.

But yeah, the USSR in 1940 was eating up the ‘buffer zone’ between itself and Germany (this is a part of the reason that Germany struck as soon as it did against the USSR). Check it:

“July 23, 1940 - Soviets take Lithuania, Latvia and Estonia.”

A communist movement was also being supported by the USSR in Yugoslavia, which prompted a German invasion there a year later.

• It will be interesting to see how this issue gets handled or not handled in the new game.

• The rule is the USSR can’t make a combat move against an axis power unless attacked, or its turn 4.

Finland, Romania, Hungary, Iran, and Bulgaria are Axis Neutrals

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m