• AA50 brought the Battleship down to 20, a comfortable place that in that game I think is right. But AAP40 makes the BB strictly weaker but not any cheaper. The BB now has to go back to naval bases to repair rather than repairing on the spot, which can be a powerful shackle in a game where the one or two turns to go back to repair can make all the difference. The BB gets no new strength, other than convoy disruption, which is much better done by cheaper ships. As a result, I rarely see even the Americans buy them, much less other powers. Do you guys think BBs are underpowered or overcosted now? What’s a better price point for them?

• Well, the only conceivable place you could put them would be 18 IPCs if they are to come down in cost more, because I don’t think battleships are ever going to cost less than aircraft carriers in A&A, even if they are less useful in most applications.

• Now the 20 IPC Destroyer/Cruiser combo looks even more tempting, chance of 2 hits per round of combat, anti-sub and bombard @3, plus you can be in two different seazones at once for convoy disruption/sea route blocking. I think the days of the big battleship are over just like in the real war.

• It’s only worth it’s cost if it absorbs a hit and lives to fight and take free hits in several battles. So maybe one per fleet. But only if it’s like a permanent fleet (that only fights fleets smaller than it, not ones where it could potentially receive and give 100% casualties). So I think that it will receive a lot more use in Europe, where naval dominance will be easier to get and therefore make an absorber more useful. Thoughts?

• BBs look like purely defensive units now, soaking up hits on enemy’s turn to protect new builds at ICs, and repairing themselves at Naval Bases at beginning of their turn.

Picture: the Italians at Taranto and the US at Pearl Harbor.

• '22 '19 '18

Twenty IPC for a defensive unit seems like a waste of IPC to me, I would much rather buy 6 IPC subs to take bullets.  I like the change to the BB rule, I did not like that it could immediatly fix itself.  With the change it will be more important to have quick access to ports for repair.  It would be nice if you could just pass through a sea zone with a port and get repairs rather than having to start your turn at port.

• As of AA50 it is cheaper and better to buy 3 subs rather than 1 BB. The BB is only worth the purchase if it gets repaired at least once. AAP40 makes this a lot less likely.

• The only one who I would ever buy one with is Japan, the US don’t have enough and should buy like cress man said.

• Well, of course there are some situations where you might want to build a Battleship.

For example, imagine you need a navy but only have a minor IC in the area you need it–therefore few unit production slots–but lots of cash to blow on quality units.

A battleship’s a great choice for a build in that case.

• With air units getting a boost (tacs/ftr) those expensive sea units (BB) are looking like more of a luxury buy then before. Air power kills!!  4 or 5  2-hit ships in a large navy is tough to over come though, especially if they are def in an island sz w/AB. Its still pretty nice to be able to absorb those first 4-5 hits. I don’t expect to see as big of naval builds in Europe, as we do in the Pacific were almost every thing you do involves navy.

• So your saying the battleship was bullied and forced to kill, but was set free and decides to sit back and lose his incredible strengh, and now only fights for money and is only for rich bastards that can buy whatever they want

okay thats good  :-D

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m