• So… There are so many versions of AA that i don’t know whats going on.  Going through these forums it seems there there is a new pacific and Europe out that can be combined.  That sounds great.

Are these the versions I need to buy to combine into one massively big game?
    http://www.hobbytown.com/Products/GamesDefault.aspx?ProdID=WOC41388
    http://www.hobbytown.com/Products/GamesDefault.aspx?ProdID=WOC41313

• there are new versio, of europe and pacific, and those new versions can be combined :)

• Yes I figured it out… now.  I wish i knew this b4 I bought AA1940 version.  I’ll be buying pacific today.  I see now that Europe is not out yet that’s where I got confused.  Man this is awesome.

• @FearlessLeader:

Yes I figured it out… now.  I wish i knew this b4 I bought AA1940 version.  I’ll be buying pacific today.  I see now that Europe is not out yet that’s where I got confused.   Man this is awesome.

It is. But don’t read about it online. You’ll get your hopes way up with all of the new features that they are adding, and then you’ll see all of the bad reviews, complaining about how they f’d up on making the game with pieces, rulebook, and board errors, and then about how (some people think) the game is slanted. Definitely buy it. But don’t go crazy.

• So just to be clear on this…

“1st edition” was a cardboard cutout game, really small and cheap.
    “2nd edition” was the Milton Bradley version that we all know and love/hate/love2hate.
    Axis & Allies Europe introduced artillery/destroyers/custom pieces for each nation.
    Axis & Allies Pacific was interesting but WAY slanted towards Japan. (these two are not combinable in any sense)
    Axis & Allies D-Day was a valiant first attempt at a tactical A&A.
    Axis & Allies Battle of the Bulge was a much better attempt, but was really a hex game.
    Axis & Allies “Revised” was a major update to the 2nd edition - really fun.  Introduced Victory Cities.
    Axis & Allies Guadalcanal was really simply Bulge with sea units.
    Axis & Allies Miniatures was a customizable minis game that cost alot of cash to get into. (I would know)
    Axis & Allies War at Sea was sea unit minis.
    Axis & Allies 50th Anniversary Edition introduced Italy and a ton of new rules (basically 2nd edition on crack).
    Axis & Allies 1942 was simply “Revised” with “50th” rules.
    Axis & Allies Pacific 1940 is the new one - alot of fun.  Introduced Tactical Bombers, Major/Minor Factories, and 2-hit Carriers.
    Axis & Allies Europe 1940 is the one we’re all eagerly awaiting.  (will be combinable with Pacific 1940 to make what I call the Ultimate Edition).

Did I leave any out?

• Official Q&A

@robbie358:

“1st edition” was a cardboard cutout game, really small and cheap.

This was the Nova Games version, published in 1981.  Calling it “1st edition” is a misnomer, because …

@robbie358:

“2nd edition” was the Milton Bradley version that we all know and love/hate/love2hate.

There were three editions of the Milton Bradley version.  1st Edition was published in 1984, and 2nd Edition was published in 1986.  The 3rd Edition rules were included in the 1997 CD-ROM game.  The only thing that changed between these editions were the rules themselves.  The physical components remained the same.

Most people refer to the Milton Bradley version as “2nd Edition” because this the most popular edition of the game.  Whether this is because people didn’t like the changes in the 3rd Edition rules or just didn’t know about them for the most part, I don’t know.

@robbie358:

Axis & Allies Guadalcanal was really simply Bulge with sea units.

This is not really true.  Guadalcanal’s game system is similar to Bulge’s, but there are some key differences.

• Thank You for clarifying.  I guess I had the 86 version of Milton Bradly that got me hooked. Great game.  The new 1940AA is great as well.  The problem I had was with the small board space.  Now hearing about this 1940 Pacific/Europe Union is simply amazing.  I sure hope they get it right I’ll be playing/buying both for sure.  It seems this Pacific version of the game is like $70 bucks everywhere I look was that the original price or is this game just inflated cause I’m late in buying a copy?

Thanks guys this forum has enlightened me so much about this game.  Great stuff.

• 70-80$ is about what everyone is paying.

• TripleA

@Krieghund:

There were three editions of the Milton Bradley version.  1st Edition was published in 1984, and 2nd Edition was published in 1986.  The 3rd Edition rules were included in the 1997 CD-ROM game.  The only thing that changed between these editions were the rules themselves.  The physical components remained the same.

Most people refer to the Milton Bradley version as “2nd Edition” because this the most popular edition of the game.  Whether this is because people didn’t like the changes in the 3rd Edition rules or just didn’t know about them for the most part, I don’t know.

hi krieghund,

i have one of the milton bradley editions. i am curious to know the 3 different sets of rules. are the 3 rulesets available online. if not can you give me a synopsis of the rule changes.

• @The:

70-80$ is about what everyone is paying.

OK seems like i’m not getting ripped then. Thanks.

• hi krieghund,

i have one of the milton bradley editions. i am curious to know the 3 different sets of rules. are the 3 rulesets available online. if not can you give me a synopsis of the rule changes.

http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=ah/downloads

Here ya go this has d/l’s to a bunch of pdf’s.  If i were you i would use the 1940AA rules or revised + add custom units (destroyers,cruisers. artillery ).  Then depending on what you do end up doing i would get  tech from AA50 or Tech from Revised.  I nurf the tech from AA50 a bit.  Like paratroopers.

• Official Q&A

@allweneedislove:

hi krieghund,

1st Edition can be found here, and 2nd Edition can be found here.  I’m not sure where to find 3rd Edition anymore, but a synopsis of the changes can be found here.

• TripleA

@Krieghund:

@allweneedislove:

hi krieghund,

1st Edition can be found here, and 2nd Edition can be found here.  I’m not sure where to find 3rd Edition anymore, but a synopsis of the changes can be found here.

thanks krieghund, your help and response time are amazing

• OH YEAH!
    I did leave out something.  Besides all of the computer incarnations of the board game (“third edition”, Iron Blitz, and TripleA) there is also a RTS called Axis & Allies that never quite worked right on my PC for some reason.  You can get it for like $10 on amazon or ebay.  I’ll have to check it out again and let you know.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m