• I’m a little perplexed by something, and since this community is always so vibrant and filled to brim with information, I’ll post it here.

As the title suggest, its about Mongolia. During the war, it was under a communist government and kept close ties with the Soviet Union, giving raw supplies and raising troops. The country remained neutral until August 1945, when it joined in the invasion of Manchuria.

My point, shouldn’t the territories that can produce troops, or the various states themselves be pro-Allied, or rather pro-Soviet?

I’m still kind of shaky on how neutral producing countries actually work, so perhaps this thread can give some clarity.

• For the purposes of game balance, some neutrals may not be aligned precisely as they were historically.

Larry has always insisted that how the game plays out is more important to him than historical accuracy.

• True. I can understand, and I’m not complaining about it.

However, can you pose any theoretical consequences to the aforementioned? I am now curious to how it might have played out.

• In a perfect world, we should have a pro-soviet Mongolia with one impassable territory (Gobi desert) and included in the Japan-USSR non-agression pact, with China and USSR not allied and without ilogical and potentially game-breaking ACME walls everywhere. We should have also a India able of hold

But Larry thinks that a moderate bunch of soviet troops is going to stop the old JTDTM. So we lack the much needed non-agression pact and we have those all unneeded merry ACME walls popping for all Asia. And last news with India split income means that probably India will not hold much (unless West India has at least 2 IPCs value, I have a small hope of this being true). Asia still doesn’t get the proper treatment that deserves, as always as been

We received some useless and potentially confusing canadian markers instead  :-P The good news is that with such huge map there is a lot of room for house rules, because we are going to need them  :-)

• From what i understand, income from west India can’t be used in India. Europe income on the europe side and pacific on the pacific side. Blunt, inaccurate, and probably took about 10 seconds of time to create but that’s how it’s going to be (at least until I house-rule it.)

• Which means its up to the Soviets to slow down Japan. If done right, this could be an interesting balancing act: keep Japan threatened and tied down giving the Pacific Allies a chance to recover before the Germans attack forcing the Soviets to turn their focus back to Europe.

In a way, it was a mistake not to include them in Pacific to help slow down Japan. On the other hand, they would be hamstrung like the UK, with two income sources that must  (inexplicably) be kept separate.

• Per Larry the Soviets are starting with a total of 18 infantry in the pacific map, which is nothing to scoff at. It’ll be a big deterrent for attack and will force Japan to leave troops behind in Manchuria to defend. If you don’t think Pacific is well balanced now I’m sure it will be in global.

• Stupid Mongolians ain’t gonna take down my chitty wall!

• @The:

From what i understand, income from west India can’t be used in India. Europe income on the europe side and pacific on the pacific side. Blunt, inaccurate, and probably took about 10 seconds of time to create but that’s how it’s going to be (at least until I house-rule it.)

Not, that’s not the point, even if is totally illogical that West India money cannot be spent on East India IC and that West Canada money cannot be spent on Canada IC  :| The point is that, if West India (or even Persia) has a value of at least 2, UK can buy a minor IC there UK1 and support India

If West India and Persia have a value lesser than 2, then I agree with you and many of us will houserule it to make the split Canada-Uk instead of that wacky India-UK

• @bennyboyg:

Per Larry the Soviets are starting with a total of 18 infantry in the pacific map, which is nothing to scoff at.

Meh, just more stuff for the Japanese to obliterate on J1.

Are there any ACME invisible walls keeping those infantry out of Manchuria? Any tanks and aircraft to go along with that fodder? Maybe a paltry Far Eastern Fleet to prove a minor distraction?

BTW where did you hear/read this?

• @Autarch:

Maybe a paltry Far Eastern Fleet to prove a minor distraction?

That would be sweet to make some use of those nice soviet bb and cruiser pieces  :lol:

• @Autarch:

@bennyboyg:

Per Larry the Soviets are starting with a total of 18 infantry in the pacific map, which is nothing to scoff at.

Its gonna take a dedicated force to deal with the 18 inf in the Pacific.  If Japan attacks Russia it will detract from forces going to India or China, giving them enough breathing room to hold out longer.  Trust me- it will be balanced.
    The real question is whether Russia will send its units west to the German front or hold them above Manchuria’s head- or split them even!!  18 infantry come in handy either way… :roll:

• Half of them could be at central Siberia, where is difficult reach both to german or japanese fronts

My guess is that Japan will have to deal with 10 soviet units as much early (J1 and J2)

• @Funcioneta:

Half of them could be at central Siberia, where is difficult reach both to german or japanese fronts

This game need a railway rule.

• @questioneer:

@Autarch:

@bennyboyg:

Its gonna take a dedicated force to deal with the 18 inf in the Pacific.  If Japan attacks Russia it will detract from forces going to India or China, giving them enough breathing room to hold out longer.  Trust me- it will be balanced.
    The real question is whether Russia will send its units west to the German front or hold them above Manchuria’s head- or split them even!!  18 infantry come in handy either way… :roll:

If they are divided up between 9 territories maybe not so much. There already is a dedicated force in Manchuria and a bucketload of planes that don’t get used on J1 to attack the Soviets. As things stand now, I don’t think this alone is going to delay Japanese execution enough to make a difference.

@questioneer:

Trust me- it will be balanced.

I’ve maintained for some time now that it is apparent that Europe is going to be required to balance this game. Not that combining the games will create the balance because at that point, Pacific is no longer its own game. I’m interested in seeing what the makeup and distribution of the Soviet Far Eastern forces are and what forces are available to the UK in the Mediterranean and Egypt/Middle East and to the US in EUSA. Perhaps these can be introduced into Pacific to restore some balance.

@Yoper:

@The:

From what i understand, income from west India can’t be used in India. Europe income on the europe side and pacific on the pacific side. Blunt, inaccurate, and probably took about 10 seconds of time to create but that’s how it’s going to be (at least until I house-rule it.)

I and my playtesting group suggested that an adjustment be made in the Global rules such that the British Columbia IPC be shifted to the European UK economy and that the West India IPCs be shifted to the UK India economy.

In doing so, the units in West India would be under the UK India players’ control and any territory they take would then contribute to that economy.

Larry didn’t choose to go that way at the time and as far as I know it hasn’t changed.

I can understand this for the sake of simplicity, but I’m curious if your group observed the same balance issues as the rest of the community.

• @Yoper:

I and my playtesting group suggested that an adjustment be made in the Global rules such that the British Columbia IPC be shifted to the European UK economy and that the West India IPCs be shifted to the UK India economy.

In doing so, the units in West India would be under the UK India players’ control and any territory they take would then contribute to that economy.

Well, at least seems that a West India territory is confirmed, not? Then, at least there is a hope that its value is 2 or more and we can buy a much needed minor IC at West India UK1

Really I hope that this game will be not so awfully broken as AA50 is. China and India are critical points where testing proccess had a mayor game-breaking failure in AA50, so you will understand if I’m very very sceptical about this odd India/UK split

Other stuff to taking into account is if setup on Pacific board for Global is going to be similar than AAP40, because, even if allies can afford lose China in AAP40, I doubt much that they can afford it in Global. China will need much more troops for Global or Japan must have much less (specially less aircraft), at least in mainland Asia

• @robbie358:

Stupid Mongolians ain’t gonna take down my chitty wall!

LOL

• I don’t think the play testers thought much about Mongolia. The only time I can think of invading it is in a fight between Japan and the USSR when one of them want to open up the front a little bit for.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m