What to do with those Russian fighters? How about this??

• I was just playing a game, and it always seems as if those russian fighters spend lots of time sitting on the ground in karelia. I understand they are there for defense, but in the first couple of turns, anyone who attacks karelia is going to lose anyway…… Do those extra 2 fighters really make that much difference early on??? I think depending on what japan does, they can be put to some real use in R2 in asia. Maybe its not a big deal to you really good players, but for a noob like me, it seems like its a decent attempt to really put the axis back a whole turn or two in asia.

The game i was playing was rr, 3rd ed. And this grew out of an attempt to defend yakut. I took all the available inf and the one tank that could make it to yakut on R1 (still leaving one guy in soviet far east). I think you can get like 6 inf and 1 armor there. I also flew one fighter there. (This may even be more effective if you use two.) That was enough to dissuade J from taking it on J1. But those fighters are needed in karelia? Well, the brits can fly their two fighters there on UK 1 anyway, and i don’t think you are out that much in the end from the allies POV.

Now, on J1, japan did the old Pearl harbor thing and had its carrier there. And just like any good jap player, they bought 2 transports and the rest inf. So they had three transports on japan sz.

So, on R2, i sent my ONE russian fighter from yakut, against the three transports. Now, the odds were not in my favor, but if you use TWO fighters, it might even be better. I gambled bigtime and got lucky and took out all three transports with the one fighter. But if you use two, you could concievably do it in two rounds of throwing dice. And if you lose both fighters while taking out all three transports, its an ipc wash, 24/24. BUT, more importantly, if you wipe out japan’s ability to ferry troops to the mainland (when they’ve already bought their J1 transports with that very goal in mind), then you can really hold off the pressure on russia from the east. And that might be enough to give the allies time to get control of africa.

And, as an added bonus, if nothing else, if after the first time you attack those transports, you still have airplanes available in yakut (i’m thinking you can even possibly buy a couple from the us or uk and base them there if you can continue to hold yakut), you will force Japan to keep its carrier and maybe even his battleship, in the jap sz. Or make him buy some subs or something. Whatever happens, if those transports go down on R2, japan is really behind the 8 ball.

• Sounds interesting, but the odds don’t impress me. Certainly not with one fighter, and I’d probably still be scared with two.

Moving all those men plus the lack of planes might make Karelia a bit too tempting early on……shrugs

It would make taking Finland/Ukraine that much more difficult, (and costly, material wise) and i’m not sure the loss there would compensate, even if you slow Japan down a turn - but we can let the experts debate that. =)

Neat plan though, I wonder if there would be a way to do a concerted effort with English/American/Russian planes early on, and try and blow Japan out of the water alltogether…

If Japan does Pearl and China, you could have 2 Russian planes, 3 English fighters and a Bomber (is that right? maybe only one English fighter could make it) attack before J2, all three English fighters before J3, for sure…

That would definately take out the transports, and if all goes well, perhaps
    the rest of the fleet on it’s return… =p

Of course, the Germans would be happy, but maybe the Americans could hold them off fer a bit.

If it would work, it would sure make the India IC more appealing…

Discuss!

• The thought just occured to me -

If Russia and England started flying all their planes east towards the Japanese fleet, I think most people would not do Pearl - a lot of people don’t do it anyway - so the plan basically fails at the get go. If the person is silly enough to do it, then you don’t really need a plan to beat him anyway…… =p

• The only men i moved were those already east of moscow……And that one tank is already out there on the eastern edge to start with…

Really, the only thing that weren’t in karelia that would normally be on R2, are the fighters.

Oh, i know the one fighter v 3 transport was a huge gamble. But the way i had been playing the last few days (getting shellacked by the axis at every turn) i figured, I’m going to lose anyway, so wtf. That’s why with 2, it is a bit better odds.

• I’ve been playing alot lately (last couple of weeks - maybe a game a day or so online), all but one game as the allies.

And i haven’t encountered ANYONE who didn’t pearl harbor me… And usually, the pearl harbor completely decimates the uspacfleet, with seemingly little in the way of casualties on the jap side…

• If they don’t do pearl, GREAT. Another carrier, bs, transport, plane and sub to go over and protect the shuck.

• cute idea, but i agree that it makes taking Fin more difficult. Also if you are trading dead zones, then it gets much trickier to take Fin AND trade Ukr/Cau.

• Interesting idea, worth trying at least. You probably want to buy 3 Tanks 3 Inf on Russian T1 if you do this though. Going to need the offense.

• If you take a shot at it let us know the results…
    though one game might not give us a good taste…
    that’s what logistics are for :wink: .

• I have also used the two figthers in Russia to destroy the German transport near Egypt. Doing this causes Germany to forfeit transporting any new units into Africa. This gives the UK a great jump start and allows the US to get into the action (Operation Torch for you history buffs). I hope this helps.
    JoePar22

• Possible in some cases, but not if Germany takes both AES and Sy/Ir.

Germany might enjoy chewing off 2 ftrs in Sy/Ir, even if 2 inf & 1 ftr attach from Ind with the UK bmr(from UK.)

Anybody seen this? I haven’t, but then I haven’t played hundreds of games or for many years as some others here.

• I still believe that using Russia’s fighters to destroy the German Battleship and transport in Southern Italy is the best start in keepin Germany off of the water. It is difficult enough for the UK to deal with the German Air Force when trying to build up sea units, however if Germany is completely off of the water then the UK can use the tatic of buying a carrier and one transport for their sea space. This of course must be followed by the USA complimenting the carrier with two fighters. Afterwards not even four fighters and a bomber from Germany will attempt to keep the UK off of the water. The risk of losing four fighters for Germany is too great.

Therefore, it seems natural, to me, to use the fighters to start the movement to keep Germany off of the water and out of Africa. Let me know what you think.

JoePar22

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m