What should the US do with the Phillipines?

• Assuming there’s no overwhelming J1 attack that moots this question:

What should the US player do with their forces stranded in the Phillipines?

Here’s what I’ve been doing, call it the ‘Evacuation’ strategy:

(1) Bomber to Hawaii (can’t land on UK/ANZAC areas yet, but need to save the unit).
    (2) Fighter to Guam (distracts Japan with another target).
    (3) Infantry with Transport to Burma SZ (live to fight another day, on the mainland or DEI).
    (4) Destroyer to Malaya (stalls Japanese advance).

The idea is that dispersing your forces impels the Japanese player to split their unit stacks in pursuit, leaving them open to potential counterattacks. Thoughts? Other dominant strategies?

• I would leave the fighter and infantry in PI.
    Also leave the DD there.
    Evacuate Bomber to HI
    Move transport out of range.

In any case, always leave at least 1 infantry even if you evacuate everything else.
    Chinese and UK players will not be happy with you if Japan can take PI with 1 transport and 1 inf.

As you say, very much a moot point after J1 attack.

Kind of like asking what to do with the UK transports.

• As US I always leave the infantry, fighter and destroyer to make Japan send at least a few ships and a pair of transports. That way it sucks up some Japanese resources off of the vulnerable powers.

I’ve tried loading Philippines with as much as possible to put a rock between Japan and India in case of a J3 attack. I can get a couple of fighters, a tac and four infantry there by that time, which is a lot more annoying than it sounds due to the fact that the airforce can be in either battle: They have to put enough in the sea to take out a 2, a 3, and a pair of 4’s, as well as enough on land to take out 4 2’s, a 3, and 2 4’s. That’s three trans and some airforce on land, as well as a few ships and some airforce in the sea just for the one island, and he’ll still take some casualties.

• Assuming the Japanese don’t attack J1, One strat I tried was for the US to Move the Fleet to Wake, and I built a naval base there on US 1. If Guam is open on US1, move the fighter and troops there too. Now your forces at Wake are in range to counter attack or reinforce Guam, and the Aussies can fly up all four fighters on ANZAC 2 (actually, 1 can move up on ANZAC 1).

Guam is a key location for the Allies, specifcally the US, to attack Asia & lots of targets from.

Just something to consider. :-)

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m