• I’ve read a lot of posts in which people are arguing that Japan will lose Carolinas if she doesn’t defend it heavily. In my opinion, this is false.

Carolinas are really important. As Japan, you don’t really need it. But you really need to avoid USA to have it. Because if they do, you’ll have to defend too many places against a fleet in a great strategic and defensive position.

But you could defend yourself against a lot of american attacks with a few units. 1 inf and 2 fighters could help you keep this a long time. USA couldn’t attack you with its air force from Hawaï (not even the bombers) and a full AC cannot reach it and attack it in the same turn. So, to beat you, he’ll have to send 2-3 full transports, which are not easy to get, or to lose 2 turns with an AC (1 moving to the objective, another one attacking the islands). And as Carolinas are reachable from Japan, Philippines and Malaya, a single AC is more or less a sitting duck for the japanese navy. Of course the entire american fleet could go to the Carolinas, but if you can move so freely, you anyway probably are winning the game.

Correct me if I’m wrong, but if I’m not, just stop to defend these islands with so much stuff when you could keep it with almost nothing.

• Problem #1 : If the US player builds at least 1 transport each turn, you will need more than that to hold Carolina.

Problem #2 : If USA gets Carolina (say with 3-4 transport and still have 2-3 full), he is in range of the money island next turn. Anzac can easily put some planes on Carolina to increase its defense against a Japanese counterattack

• problem #3 bombers from Hawaii can hit you they just have to land on New Britain

• Basile is referring to the game we played where I was USA and he was Japan. He indeed kept Carolina all the time with only 1 inf and 2 fighter as I was too preoccupied at leading a war in the Japanese seas. It didn’t work pretty as planned and the Allies conceded the game. I can see Carolina as a key position because it opens up a lot of option to the player who has it

• Problem #4:  The Carolinas do not exist in this game and will likely exist in Europe 1940 within the territory Eastern United States and will start under American control.  Thus, there is no need for Japan to defend the Carolinas in Pacific 1940.

• Bam! Intrawebz patrol snatches up another offender! Thank you Dakgoalie38 for policing the internet.

• Because you do not know there are islands called Carolinas in Pacific Ocean doesn’t mean they do not exist.

@Omega:
    I think it is still hard to get the island. You need far more to get it that it is needed to defend it.

Will you ever build one transport with USA before being at war? Will you ever build one on the first turn? If you don’t, as you’ll probably send your Hawaian transport back to San Francisco on turn 1, you’ll be ready to strike the islands with 3 transports (which are what you need to be sure to beat 1 inf and 2 fighters) on turn 4. During all this time, Japan could hold this most strategically important position with almost nothing, relying on your logistical problems.

And an american player, bored of doing nothing put piling up planes and boats and troops, may well be too impatient and go after Japan rather than Carolinas. Comme tu l’as fait, mon bon Robert. Bien que ça n’ait pas été planifié ainsi.

Bombers could come, it is true. They could even land on New Guinea. But is it really safe to land on any of these islands?

• Technically, they’re called the “Caroline Islands,” NOT the Carolinas, which may have been the point of the previous poster.  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Caroline_Islands

Though to contribute to this discussion… the ease of defending the Carolines rests, I think, on how much damage Japan deals to the US fleet once they open up hostilities.  In one game I played, Japan barely touched the USN when they attacked on the third turn, so I (as the US) invaded the Carolines with 2 infantry, 1 artillery, 1 tank, and support shots from my cruiser and battleship.  Japan had 1 infantry and 2 fighters on the Carolines (the recommended defense force BasileII mentioned).  Japan opted not to scramble the fighters, and the US took the Carolines, only taking a single infantry as a casualty.  Granted, this might have been more due to luck than to any strategic considerations, but to my mind, it calls into question how effectively that small force could hold on to those islands, particularly in the face of a dedicated US push (and a mostly-intact USN stationed at Hawaii).

My assessment may change, however, once I’ve gotten some more play experience with the game.  I will readily admit it may be too early for me to judge (the aforementioned game was only my fourth, and the Japan player was playing Japan for the first time, as well as pushing heavily to Alaska and Australia, leaving the central Pacific more or less open).

• The game I’m playing now (I’m allies), Jap vacated the Car Is and took his entire fleet towards Asian coast and DEI (was kinda strange). Jap waited til 3rd turn to attack. 3rd round US was able to move into Car Is with its entire force. Then next turn I planned on bringing in my air units. J4 Jap got board w/Asian land battle, it left enough to take out China. UK is backed up but holding out ok (w/help from Anz ftrs). Jap put his entire fleet (a lot of boats) & air force (15 planes) on Phil which he took J3. I had no choice but to retreat to Wake w/fleet & air (where I built a NB for mobility). I really don’t have enough to attack Jap its self (its def pretty good) + I can’t just leave the central Pacific. I’m not sure if he’s going after a fairly weak Aus, or retuning to the Car Is. If he does either he will lose the cover of his air force (scramble) and I might stand a chance if I attack his navy only. Even if I get the chance at an even fight and we lose both navies, he will still have that freak-n air force. The good news is I was able to take out most of his transports when he went for the DEI, he only has 2 tpts w/fleet so an Aus invasion won’t be to easy.

• I see the Caroline Islands, Phillipines, and Hawaii as being the backbone to asserting your naval superiority over the Pacifc.  The more of these you control, the better able you are at countering any combat moves against you.  As for another viewpoint on the situation, putting an airbase and naval base on any island makes it a strategic position to hold onto.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m