• Ok, so I’ve got this crazy idea, well two part idea really.

Part 1:
    Take the AAP40 map and sandwich it with a sheet of Lexan on the top.
    The idea is we rarely have time to sit and play an entire game (for whatever reason are games are almost always seriously drawn out), so when we call it for a night we can use dry erase markers to write down what was where (I have kids, so leaving the board out isn’t an option)

Part 2:
    Less likely to work, but put a magentic sheet behind the board, still with the thin lexan on top.  Then adhere small magnets to the miniatures so I can mount the board on a wall.  The only issues I see is getting strong enough magnets to hold, but not too strong that it’s an issue getting the miniatures pulled off the board without breaking the magnet off.  Several of the units, IE subs, don’t have a lot of space to glue a magnet to.  I could also put magnets on the chips so stacking is possible and put a pair on top of the carriers so aircraft can be held.

Thoughts?

• Sponsor '17 TripleA '11 '10

I don’t think #2 would be worth it even if you did get it to work. I’ve tried this kind of thing in the past and learned that not only is it tough to find appropriate magnets, but magnets are rather expensive.

#1 seems as though it would work. But it would take quite a while to “pick-up and set-up” the game between sessions. Tough call.

I have a 1 year old and two cats and no extra room to put my setup game in, so I know your problem well. My solution has been this so far:

Put the game map on a big piece of foam-core board. Nice and thick so there is no moving. Cardboard works in a pinch. Then I leave it setup and move it under the couch between sessions. I have scoped out the top of the fridge before too, but the cats took that one out of the equation. If need be, put a couple pillows in front of the couch to protect it. Not ideal, but works for a couple days at a time.

• Me and my group just replace all chips with pieces and spread the units around a little then take a picture with some sort of digital camera. Later we just look at the pictures and set up. Everything we spread is purely to make it easier to see on a picture and this gas worked very well for us so far.

• I came across this at Boardgamegeek - it’s a mid-game recording sheet.  http://www.boardgamegeek.com/filepage/50674/aap40-mid-game-recording-sheet

You simply jot down the unit dispositions and other info and then you’re good to go after a few minutes of setup to continue your game.

Hope you find it useful.

• '19 '18 '17 '16 '15 '14 '13 '10

http://www.geekchichq.com/Co_Store/The_Showroom/The_Emissary/The_Emissary.html

Here is a god solution.  It can fill in as a kitchen table and you also have a game space that gets covered up so no movement is necessary of the board.

Sean

• @Spade632:

I came across this at Boardgamegeek - it’s a mid-game recording sheet.  http://www.boardgamegeek.com/filepage/50674/aap40-mid-game-recording-sheet

You simply jot down the unit dispositions and other info and then you’re good to go after a few minutes of setup to continue your game.

Hope you find it useful.

Alternatively, you could use ABattlemap to record your mid-game information.

• @Stoney229:

@Spade632:

I came across this at Boardgamegeek - it’s a mid-game recording sheet.  http://www.boardgamegeek.com/filepage/50674/aap40-mid-game-recording-sheet

Hope you find it useful.

Alternatively, you could use ABattlemap to record your mid-game information.

That’s what my group has done in the past when leaving the board up is impractical (i.e. not being able to get back to the game within a day or two).

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m