• '20 '18 '17 '15

Sure, Japan taking America is the longshot, but I believe it has more of a chance then people think it does. I’m just hashing out a new idea here, so please don’t kill me.

There are several things that work in Japans favor when trying for a J4 sacking of America.  Japan moves in for the strike on Turn 3 but doesn’t attack, stopping at SZ9.

1.  People usually don’t expect it.  The best defense against an amphibious assault is to have more units then your opponent can bring with trannies.  If America is not expecting it, they won’t spend their first couple of rounds on all tanks or infantry, but instead on carriers or subs.

2.  You never give America the added wartime economy until it’s too late to help them.

3.  The delayed attack allows Japan to bring extra transports.

The total attacking force I have come up with is
    8 Infantry
    6 Artillery
    2 Tanks
    3 Fighters
    3 Tac Bombers

The resistance comes down to what America buys in their 3 rounds of purchasing at 17 IPCs, and how they move their existing forces.  The strategy hinges on if America sees it coming.  The less they spend on ground units, the better.

Turn 1
    Japan feints away from America.  Take the Caroline fleet and combine it with the Japanese fleet around Formosa (SZ20).  It looks as if Japan is consolidating for a push against India. 
    Japan buys 3 Transports.

At this point the US player would not suspect an assault, and most likely build up its navy or airforce.

Turn 2
    Japan moves its consolidated fleet back to Japan and buys 2 more transports (for a total of 8), and artillery and a tank to fill them up.

The hope is that the US still believes the fleet is going towards Hawaii or south to the Philippines or Caroline Islands and continues with its naval build.  Seeing the combined Japanese navy may frighten America into buildings carriers or destroyers instead of infantry.

Turn 3, the whole fleet moves out to SZ 9.  It’s just one space from America, so no blocking destroyer movement will stop next turn’s assault.  If America has moved enough away towards Hawaii or purchased mostly navy, no single turn buy will swing the assault to their favor.

If America still has their entire starting airforce (except for the Philippines) within 1 turn of America, then an all infantry buy will bring them up to about a 50/50 chance of survival.  Not good odds, but perhaps fun to try.

If America buys all Fighters and uses the Hawaiian Fighters and carrier planes to land on America, they still have only a 44% chance of survival.  Buying infantry, however, really turns the tables.

I guess one plus would be the ability to break away into other strategies.  If you see an all land unit buy on turns 1 & 2, you can simply move south towards whatever you like.

If you see too many land units placed by Turn 3, you can take Alaska, British Columbia, possibly move south to take Hawaii or crush any American Navy.

It’s one of the lowest chances for success, but it sounds like fun!  A great move to try against a newb that won’t see it coming.

• US got 17 IPC the first turn, and 22 IPC the next turns because of NO Phillipineas.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m