• I know that they have no attack value but can they absorb a hit also. Me and my opponent have a disagreement between us.  I say they can absorb a hit while he says they cannot.

• Official Q&A

Yes, they can.  Two hits, actually.

• once the aircraft carrier takes a hit, it becomes damaged.  during this damaged state, planes can no longer land on them.

• So lets say the US player attacks the Japan seazone with carrier, battleship, fighter and tactical bomber from the attacking carrier and one tactical bomber from wake island.  US moved a carrier in range of landing one plane from the attacking carrier so he could make the attack with 3 planes on the Japan sea zone.  Japan had a carrier with fighter and tactical bomber and a battleship and scramble a tactical bomber to defend.  My question is can the attacking player “go for broke” and take the hits on his carrier first knowing he might lost everything in the attack, just to kill the Japanese force.  Can you take hits on the carrier and give 2 of those 3 planes or actually just 1 of those 3 planes no safe landing zone if you somehow won this engagement?

• Official Q&A

Yes.  You only need to provide possible potential landing spaces for attacking planes.  How you take your losses once you’re in combat is up to you.

• Thats what I thought where as my friend was trying to compare it to just attacking far off places with any number of planes and crashing them in the end everytime.  I knew that if you had a possible landing point at the start you could do this, just needed a clarification on it.

• Official Q&A

Remember, however, that if your planes survive the combat and there are still carriers that can pick them up, they must do so.  You can’t willingly let a plane crash if it’s still possible to save it.

• I understand you need to make an effort to save the planes if at all possible.  In the example I gave above, only 1 plane would have been screwed on not making it to another carrier if the US player were able to take 2 hits on his carrier, the problem would be avoided if the carrier was sunk, battleship was damaged and the 1 plane that couldn’t make it was taken as a casualty.  I just wanted to clarify that you could do the “going for broke” tactic.

• That’s what I used my carriers for when I made this attack. I was attacking the jap carrier group and I knew that I was basically going to lose every unit. So as I lost two airlplane I would then damage and take the carrier as a casualty. That away if I did have something survive it could land or I still had a carrier at least. That was the battle where my friend said that offensive carriers couldn’t take two hits.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m