• Does the NW Madagascar SZ border to South Africa?

• sadly i do not believe so.

• yeah it does that’s how you can move the german fleet from the east med and take south africa and madagascar

• Inxduc is correct.

• Inxduk is only partly correct, 1 transport cannot drop off 2 infantry into 2 different territories during combat. You could take Madagascar and during non-combat, drop off the second into South Africa after your other land forces capture it.

EDIT: Actually, I think I was partially wrong with this statement. I do believe if a transport drops off 1 INF during combat then it’s turn is OVER and it can’t drop off the second INF during non-combat.

BB

• One thing of interest for me: Can a trannie drop of into two different territories during NC-move?

• Yes it can.

Here is another interesting point of contention. On page 21 of the rule book for phase 6, Non-Combat Movement. For Naval movement it states "Naval units can be moved into any friendly sea zone, occupied or unoccupied. They CANNOT be moved into enemy-occupied sea zones. Empty transports or transports loaded with cargo can be moved to friendly coastal territories to either load or unload.
    Does this imply you cannot move into a territory then bridge?

• From the rulebook:

ONCE A TRANSPORT UNLOADS, HOWEVER, ITS MOVE IS OVER!

Thus, if the two territories are adjacent to the same SZ, it is legal to unload into two territories during non-combat.

• @BigBlocky:

Empty transports or transports loaded with cargo can be moved to friendly coastal territories to either load or unload.
    Does this imply you cannot move into a territory then bridge?

Looks like they can’t move and then bridge.
    One of the rules to remember or make clear that “house rules” are used before the game starts.

• To be sure, it has a HUGE impact on the Japanese not being able to swap transports between Japan and Burma every round. As well the brits might not want to swap between the british home waters and african waters if it means 1 round of no bridging. Interesting indeed…

BB

• i play by the cd rules, so in that case…
    that really sucks though about not being able to load and unload after a move… So i can’t move to west med with the bb and empty transport, and in noncombat (transport lives) move a man from algeria to france?? noooooo

• Well, the rules sure implies this. However, I have yet to do any research at other A&A websites. I’ve always done bridging during non-combat, however, I always expected to lose a transport and a fighter when attacking the german baltic fleet if he rolls snakeyes for his transport and sub. It looks like I have been playing wrong for 20 years. Live and learn, tis the reason I sought out a place like this.

BB

• @BigBlocky:

To be sure, it has a HUGE impact on the Japanese not being able to swap transports between Japan and Burma every round. As well the brits might not want to swap between the british home waters and african waters if it means 1 round of no bridging. Interesting indeed…

At least, the Japanese can bridge without moving their trannies to other territories.
    Another interesting point: AFAIR the US strategy calls for shuffling units from Canada to Europe. This as well needs another turn to work (and another bunch of transports for a constant flow of troops).
    This -at least one- “saved” turn could allow germany to be a small bit more aggressive in russia.

• Although the rules say load OR unload, I don´t think this is to be taken litterally. It is written this way because an empty tr has to load something and a full tr has to unload something. Phrasing it like this: “Empty tr. … to either load, unload or load and unload.” would be very confusing indeed, but more accurate. Unless they actually mean that bridging shouldn´t be possible after moving … :cry:
    Besides, the tr move isn´t over until it has unloaded. Although that rule was probably written to signify that a tr can´t MOVE after it has unloaded.

I don´t see how the litteral interpretation of the rule hurts USA. Please explain, F-alk.

• Well, assuming you cannot load/unload and move in the same turn …
    Usually, the US have some transports in the Atlantic (North Sea), build infantry in the US, which on the next turn moves to Canada, from where it is shipped to Norway and unloaded the following turn. The trannies stay on these coasts, next turn move back gather more Inf, return, unload etc.: a constant flow of soldiers from the US to Eruope
    If you can’t load, move and unload in one turn, this cycle still can work, but needs more resources (a second bunch of trannies). This means you either start with not a flow of soldiers but a trickle, or you have a “pulsed” flow every second turn.
    Of course, the first pack of soldiers will arrive one turn later than “usual”, as it has to spend one turn on board the trannies.
    With the trannies it would be one bunch stands at canadian coasts and has loaded its Inf the last turn, the other stands near Norway and is empty. These bunches exchange their positions and load/unload.

One thing that came to my mind…
    You can load troops onto a tranny during Combat Move, so, as long as your tranny starts next to those troops, it effectively can load (in CM), move and unload (in NCM). Not that it changes a lot (not of the scenarios discussed so far at least), you “just” need to double up the number of trannies to do the same work like “usual”.

• It’s messy but F_alk is right. However, if say norway was in enemy hands, the US for a combat move must move the transports to Canada and back to unload and attack. This is legal as it is defined in the combat phase. However, if the units don’t attack, then it’s NOT a combat move in theory and so the naval units ought not to have moved as they were not required to move in support of combat. So during non-combat, the wording says they can move and load or unload. Here in fact we are moving, loading and moving again, even that is not explicitly stated as being legal, though not explicitly stated as illegal as well. In any event if the transports can move after loading again then they can’t unload as it is worded as load OR unload and F_alk’s scenario must come into play.

Ah thinks we need to do some internet research on this one….

BB

• I must be particularly dense today …. but I still don´t get it.

Page 16, section2: “A tr. can pick up cargo, move i or 2 sea zones, and unload the cargo all in the same move. The cargo can be picked up before, during or after the tr moves. For example, a tr could pick up i inf (oh , let´s just say from UK), move 1 zone (into eastern Canada SZ) and pick up another inf (from E Canada), move into another zone (back to UK waters) and unload both infantry (in Norway) all in the same move.” I´ve added the parantheses myself.

• @morten200:

I must be particularly dense today …. but I still don´t get it.

Page 16, section2: …

covers Combat Moverment.

If you look at page 21, you will find the sequence already quoted by BB.

So, as far as i see it:
    You can move and load/unload your transport as you wish during Combat move. You cannot load and unload during Noncombat move.
    But, as far as i see, transports are an exception to the “usual” combat move rules, as they can move even into friendly sea zones during combat move (as they might have to unload for an amphibious assault).
    This means, you can pick up, move, pick up, move again as a Combat Move, and unload during Noncombat Move.
    Actually, the Battleship must be able to do non-combat moves during combat moves as well, otherwise the following rule does not make sense:
    Battleship’s assisting fire for an amphibious assault, unless you have a big fleet and keep one or more out of the naval battle.

• Oh ……

But this should then even things out for the Axis, right? I mean, it will take the US a lot longer than otherwise to load an impressive army into Norway.

• Well, from what I have read on the internet, there is a grey area. You can load infantry during combat movement although you never intend to use them in combat.

BB

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m