I was truely inspired by the tales of “super transports” in one of the other topics and thought we should honor all those who have gone above and beyond the call of duty.

I had a UK infantry fight off 2 German tanks and 1 Inf in South Africa then proceed to walk his way to Egypt and where he was ambushed by a bomber and one man. But he did not give up without a fight, he was able to hit the German Inf on return fire and although he gave his life up, the Germans never set foot in Africa again. (Sorry, I’ve got to go I have a tear in my eye…)

• A battle can go so many ways and really affect the outcome of the game (like your’s with Africa). On Japan’s T1 they hit Pearl Harbor, with 3 ftrs, 1 Trans, 1 Sub, 2 BB, 1 Carrier, 1 bomber against 1 sub, 1 AC, 2 ftrs. Though USA lost this battle, I manage to sink everything the Japanese had except for 2 BBs. On the following turn, I turned full furry on Japan and built nothing but navy. Without it’s Navy (I counterattacked Pearl Harbor pretty and only lost one transport! :smile:) and most of its airforce gone, Japan was helpless as I used USA’s superior IPC advantage to bring the war to Japan’s homefront. Needless to say, my Pearl Harbor defenders deserve the MoH for their sacrifice.

If I were a younger man, I would write a history of human stupidity; and I would lie down on my back with my history for a pillow; and I would make a statue of myself, lying on my back, grinning horribly, thumbing my nose at You Know Who. - Bokonon

[ This Message was edited by: TG Moses VI on 2002-06-03 19:21 ]

• The UK had a lone commando with air support that cost me the game on Turn 2 just last night!

OK, at the beginning of Germany-2 I had 2I and 1A in Egypt, and a T next to SE. He had hit my battleship on UK1 and landed the Indian Fighter and his Bomber in Syria-Iraq, with 1 lone infantry. He didn’t bring 2I from India to protect them, so I am thinking “sweet - scratch two UK airplanes!”

I didn’t want to take a chance with Africa so I hit Syria with everything - 4I, 1A, and a Fighter from EE. To make a long story short he killed everything but my fighter without losing a thing! Then on his turn he killed my transport and fighter with the troops that shouldn’t have been alive, again without losing a thing.

At the end of UK2 I had no navy and Africa was empty except for that lone UK Commando in Egypt!

Needless to say, I had to buy all infantry with Germany the rest of the game and lost about 6 turns later… after the game I got on the odds calculator - I had a 97% chance of winning that battle, and should have had 2I/1A/1F remaining!

“A clever military leader will succeed in many cases in choosing defensive positions of such an offensive nature from the strategic point of view that the enemy is compelled to attack us in them.” - Moltke

[ This Message was edited by: Ansbach on 2002-06-04 09:51 ]

• Ouch Now that’s what I call a doubly-whammy. I had I share of heartbreaking defeats, most of them coming over the “Skies of Leningrad (Karelia).” The story is the same every time, Russia splits his forces between Japan and Germany, given the perfect opportunity to smash through the Eastern Front. Of so I thought! The problem is that my planes keep getting shot down! This one time, I attacked with 4 ftrs, 1 bomber, 5 ARM, 15 inf. I lost 3 ftrs and 1 bomber all due to AA gun fire! I ended up winning the particular battle (Actung Panzer!), but a swift invasion fleet by USA doomed all hopes of victory. Needless to say, whatever Russian was manning those AA batteries definitely deserves a Red Star (their Medal of Honor)

I have to second that “ouch”. I’ve had my share of catastophic battles in the Pacific as Japan and I also found that sometimes German troops just arn’t ment to be in Africa. But here is one for the Axis…The almost unsinkable sub…
    On G1 I took my sub off the coast of WE and sunk the US transport, then the UK sent its bomber after me and missed, then the US sent a bomber and fighter after me and missed (thinking they’d take me out the US bought 3 transports). So on G2, for the heck of it I sent my sub on a suicide mission to take out as many transports as I could and after about 10 rds of dice rolling or so I sunk all three US transports. The allies now extremely pissed off sent another UK bomber after the sub only to miss, but finally the sub crews luck ran out as 2 US ftrs and 1 bomber sunk her off the shore of E.US. But the damage was done.

• Haha, the Iron Cross Sub has happened to me a number of times :smile:

Usually I might have 1 (or 2 if I’m REALLY lucky) subs after Germany’s T1. Since they served their purpose (wrecking UK’s fleet) I send them on suicide runs since there’s really no other use. Usually those subs will get sunk by fighters or bombers on subsequent turns, but there have been a few times where I had 1 sub ruin USA’s entire transport navy. And if that isn’t rare enough, there are maybe a lucky 2 or 3 U-Boats (out of almost a hundred Axis and Allies games I played) that actually made it back to port and survived the war. I call that and Iron Cross w/ Swords and Diamonds.

Hahaha, I like that. Don’t think I’ve ever had one of the initial subs make it back to port though. Well it’s something to shoot for.

• Well they just don’t give the Iron Cross to anybody :smile:

But I remember this one time my U-Boat had sent several Allied ships to their watery grave in the North Atlantic while evading constant air attacks. However, the rest of the German fleet was nonexistant. So the little U-Boat that could was finally saved by the Japanese Navy which also made their way in the Mediterranean. Good times :smile:

• I remeber this one time when it was USA turn 2 and i send a transport to the japenese island. Well they won. THe wierd thing is that one transport (alone) took all the japenese’s islands in the following turns. I just surpise that Japen (the computer) never attack me or anything? Strange!!!

• I remeber this one time when it was USA turn 2 and i send a transport to the japenese island. Well they won. THe wierd thing is that one transport (alone) took all the japenese’s islands in the following turns. I just surpise that Japen (the computer) never attack me or anything? Strange!!!

• Yeah, dumb computer. ;( Unfortunately, the only Award the Computer Deserves is the Wounded Medal Badge. I once saw the USA AI sit around and buy nothing but tanks and inf in EUSA with NO transports! And another time, the computer bought bombers with RUSSIA! Geezz… the intelligence of Hitler.

• Moses, Adolf Hitler was actually with Germany, not Russia. What, do you think that the US and UK was allies with Hitler?

• I think you may have misunderstood him, anonymous…heh heh, I’m pretty sure TG knows that Hitler was the dictator of Germany, not Russia.

• '19 Moderator

I’m pretty sure he was comparing the computer’s strategy with Hitler’s “millitary genious” :wink:

“Always mystify confuse and confound the enemy” Gen. Thomas J Jackson
    D-Backs- 39W 22L

Red

[ This Message was edited by: dezrtfish on 2002-06-10 12:49 ]

• Yeah, that’s what I meant. Sorry about any confusion. But Hitler was a major help and tactical genius… for the ALLIES! His idea of battle was to basically fight to the last man. Sounds good but when written on paper the Germans obviously needed to retreat after the Russian Winter Counteroffensive (not to mention Africa) to reestablish German lines.

• i have to give the Red Banner to 2 Russian inf. that held on to manturia for two turns after repelling coninuess Japanese attacks were the odds were al least 2:1 each time. they were lost to an over welming force on turn 3. but it gave USA the time it needed to build a fleet that japan could not counter in time.

• My hat is off to an entire legion of do gooders. I remember this one time where the Axis were on the verge of losing the game as the Allies had boxed Germany within the confines of Italy and the homeland. Since Japan couldn’t make the breakthrough to Russia in time, the surrounding territories were now heavily stacked. As a last sign of desperation what was left of the German Citizen Army (about 40 inf, 5 ARM, 2 ftrs) went on a crusade to recapture as many territories as possible before bellying over. What was strange was that the German infantry kept on winning battle after battle (even against superior forces) with relative minor losses! Though German couldn’t defend it’s own home borders after they had taken Karelia (this crack army was that good!) and were down to a withered force of less than 4 ARM and 2 ftrs, it freed up enough time for the Japanese to take Moscow! I say Iron crosses for everybody!

• On 2002-06-10 15:43, TG Moses VI wrote:
    Yeah, that’s what I meant. Sorry about any confusion. But Hitler was a major help and tactical genius… for the ALLIES! His idea of battle was to basically fight to the last man. Sounds good but when written on paper the Germans obviously needed to retreat after the Russian Winter Counteroffensive (not to mention Africa) to reestablish German lines.

If Hitler didn’t shuffle army group center around so much ( moving north to help attack Leningrad, no, Lets go south and help the battle in the Crimea, no, wait, lets go back to the center) and just went for Moscow, Germany would have (IMHO) done much better on the Eastern front.

Also, If Hitler let 6th Army try to break out of Stalingrad, things might have been easy to manage at that stage of the war.

• Yes, we also have to keep in mind that the invasion of Russia never would’ve happened if not for Hitlers orders. He should’ve defeated the British first and was properly before thrusting into the USSR.

We can never forget these two important concepts - “Never start a land war in asia and Never make a bet with a Sicilian when death is involved.” - The Princess Bride

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m