• Just wanted to spur another discussion.  What do you guys think is a better sea defense strategy?  Lots of cheap units (subs and destroyers), expensive defense (battleships and carriers), or a balance (cruisers supported by a few destroyers and battleships).

• @pmelmike:

Just wanted to spur another discussion.  What do you guys think is a better sea defense strategy?  Lots of cheap units (subs and destroyers), expensive defense (battleships and carriers), or a balance (cruisers supported by a few destroyers and battleships).

Destroyers and loaded carriers, unless you’re depending on island scrambling for your airforce and buying subs maybe for a retaliatory offensive (and hardly ever if on the defensive).  I rarely build cruisers or battleships unless I’m planning to need bombardment, or I have a surplus of everything else.

• First build DDs and stack them at an island with a (fighter stacked) scrambling airfield.  Add some subs once you have the DDs and Figs.  When you need to make a surgical strike, you may considering using a stack of subs.  For more enduring power, add some carriers and a couple Tacs.  Sail off into the sunset and hunt.

• destroyers

• Combo of destroyers and subs.

Destroyers can block, and subs can threat and harass convoys.

• Balanced: a mix of all types, even those mediocre tactical bombers … one never knows when you are going to need them!

• don’t forget the +1 the tac give to Fig. Its a very powerful tool on offensive!

• You should have at least one DD in each fleet to defend against sub sneak attacks, but I think subs are the best buy because they can be used as “soak-offs” in fleet battles, and have the advantages of convoy disruption and possible sneak attacks.

• @Omega:

don’t forget the +1 the tac give to Fig. Its a very powerful tool on offensive!

No, it’s the tac receiving the +1. I still prefer a sure def of 4 than a maybe attack of 4. And figs are cheaper while bombers move more. Anyway, no harm having at least one tac just in case

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m