• Sorry if this is already made clear elsewhere, but does UK/ANZAC ever become “At war” with Japan if neither of them attack each other?  As far as I’ve seen, the rules only state that the US enters the war automatically on the third turn… so if there has been no aggression between UK/ANZAC and Japan up to this point, are UK/ANZAC still not subject to convoy damage on their third turn?

Also, is it possible to declare war on a power without combat against that power in a given turn, in order to inflict damage on their convoys during their turn?

• Customizer

I think they didn’t mention it because it’s irrelevant.  If the US is in the war, what is the benefit of UK/ANZAC being peaceful?  The only reason Japan doesn’t attack them off the bat is to keep the US out of the war.  The same is true of UK/ANZAC attacks.  The only reason UK doesn’t jump right in to support China is so they aren’t getting bludgeoned by Japan without drawing the US into the war.

If I’m reading your second question right, yes, attacking convoys is an act of war.

• Official Q&A

@Stoney229:

Sorry if this is already made clear elsewhere, but does UK/ANZAC ever become “At war” with Japan if neither of them attack each other?  As far as I’ve seen, the rules only state that the US enters the war automatically on the third turn… so if there has been no aggression between UK/ANZAC and Japan up to this point, are UK/ANZAC still not subject to convoy damage on their third turn?

UK and ANZAC never go to war automatically (unless Japan declares war on them).

@Stoney229:

Also, is it possible to declare war on a power without combat against that power in a given turn, in order to inflict damage on their convoys during their turn?

Yes, you can declare war on your turn without attacking anything, provided you’re allowed to declare war.

• @Krieghund:

@Stoney229:

Yes, you can declare war on your turn without attacking anything, provided you’re allowed to declare war.

That doesn’t make much sense, why in the world would the UK declare war on Japan w/o triggering one of the many auto war mechanic’s.

In the above example Say UK/Anz are not at war w/Jap. On UK’s turn they more into a Jap convoy zone (could even be Jap occupied). As the UK you don’t have to tell your intentions at this time correct? (Or did I miss something in the Errata). You don’t declare a convoy attack until Japans collect income phase. Its up to Japan to either attack you (bringing US into the war) or leave you be hoping you attack the convoy so the US doesn’t come in.

There’s no reason I can think of why UK would tip its hand on its turn. It would get absolutely no benefit, and Japan would be free to do anything it want to, except of course directly attack the US. I guess that if you wanted you could by rule give a Dec Of War for no reason, but it would be pretty silly IMO.

• Official Q&A

Yes, you missed something in the errata.  You must be at war to make a convoy raid.  The intent was that declaring war is an action you take on your own turn, rather than on someone else’s.

• @Krieghund:

Yes, you missed something in the errata.  You must be at war to make a convoy raid.  The intent was that declaring war is an action you take on your own turn, rather than on someone else’s.

But is declaring war an action you can make without doing anything else? (UK Player - Purchase units, move nothing, declare war on Japan, place units???)

I only remember reading about the other actions that resulted in a state of war. Like UK moving units into China, etc.

• Official Q&A

Yes.

• @Krieghund:

Yes.

Take it, this declaration is effective before your movement, no matter when you make it. No non-combat moving past another powers ships or into the same sea zone, then declaring war at the very end of your turn.

I’m liking the idea of a rule that a power must declare war before its combat move phase, or it doesn’t get to make combat moves against another power or end its turn at war with that power, except the US auto declare, of course.

• Official Q&A

Yes, you must do it at the beginning of the Combat Move phase.

• @Krieghund:

Yes, you missed something in the errata.  You must be at war to make a convoy raid.  The intent was that declaring war is an action you take on your own turn, rather than on someone else’s.

OK, seems after every game we play we find out we may have done something wrong. I might put it away for awhile to let things sort out.

• @Krieghund:

Yes, you must do it at the beginning of the Combat Move phase.

So my understanding is “Declaring War” is a separate step in the turn sequence done before Combat Move, since it is not necessarily done in combination with any combat move but applies to all combat moves.  If the is true, this distinction would also keep a player from being able to decide whether or not to declare war (for the sake of convoy raids) after he/she sees the outcome of his combats with other powers (e.g. having retreated into convoy zone of a power with which one is not yet at war).  I’m guessing this is all true?  Thanks for your answers Krieg!

PS- speaking of declaring war as it’s own step in the turn sequence reminds me of an episode of The Office (American) when Michael steps out into the office and shouts “I declare… BANKRUPTCY!”  :-D

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m