• Has anyone found airbases to be very useful? I find naval vases to be really useful, but not airbases. It seems to me that the extra movement bonus for aircraft rarely makes much difference, and that scrambling is not very useful unless you have tons of fighters. It seems to me that aircraft carriers are a much more useful investment, acting like mobile airbases. Please share your opinions and strategies regarding airbases

• Airbase give a fleet a superiority over the attacker on the defense. This is why Hawaii and Carolina Islands are usually hard to get. If a superior fleet will face economical disadvantage in trading boats for fighter

• I think airbases are very useful.  Having an extra movement point is huge.  Plus the ability to land on islands.  Also they give you the scramble ability.  So yes airbases are very important.

• @miragehunter:

Plus the ability to land on islands.

Um…  you can always “land” on an island.

• '19 '18 '17 '16 '15 '14 '13 '10

I think they are very useful as well.  Easier to get aircraft from US mainland to Asia quicker.

Plus it is great to be able to position your naval fleet to take advantage of these bases for defensive purposes.  Not limited to just two a/c for each airbase so cost effectiveness compared to an aircraft carrier goes up with that.

Sean

• ABs are great for commute routes from island to island, factory to front etc, and for DEFENDING islands and the navy off its shore. So use ABs if you want to defend a fleet in its position, but for a moving fleet carriers are a great for shore bombard and holding newly captured SZ.

In short, AB for defense, AC for attack. Both have their point and its 1 or the other.

• airbases can be very usefull on defense…when i Japan one game… i purchased one for Java and used it to harass the ANZACs…it worked moderately well…

• I think an airbase on land should be a bit cheaper. The biggest advantage is the scrambling ability. But you are not allowed to scramble from land territories. So the usefulness is halved. So maybe airbases on land should cost 8?

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m