• Hey everyone, I was wondering if you guys could give me some feedback about how to shorten A&AP1940 up a bit. I absolutely love the game as is, but practically speaking, it just takes too long, and I am looking to expand my play group some, so i need to shorten it up to draw in new players.

One idea i have is to require that Japan only need to capture 5 victory cities. Now I realize i will have to add a few more units to the board at the beginning of the game so that they simply cant win the game during their first turn. That is where i am needing some input. How many pieces should i add and where?

My goal here is to create a game where Japan basically has to win in 4-6 turns or it is over, b/c by then the allies should have the momentum. Maybe they develop the nuke or something, i dunno, but i am open to suggestions.

*Note: Moderators please do not move to house rules section

• '19 '18 '17 '16 '15 '14 '13 '10

@SSPanzer:

Hey everyone, I was wondering if you guys could give me some feedback about how to shorten A&AP1940 up a bit. I absolutely love the game as is, but practically speaking, it just takes too long, and I am looking to expand my play group some, so i need to shorten it up to draw in new players.

One idea i have is to require that Japan only need to capture 5 victory cities. Now I realize i will have to add a few more units to the board at the beginning of the game so that they simply cant win the game during their first turn. That is where i am needing some input. How many pieces should i add and where?

My goal here is to create a game where Japan basically has to win in 4-6 turns or it is over, b/c by then the allies should have the momentum. Maybe they develop the nuke or something, i dunno, but i am open to suggestions.

*Note: Moderators please do not move to house rules section

I personally do not have any direct ideas.  Have you thought about using the “mid-game tracking” sheet on BBG.

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/filepage/50674/aap40-mid-game-recording-sheet

I have not actually looked at it.  I have a Sultan game table so I can keep my game in “mid-game” indefinitely. Only sucks if you want to play with another person. (Might have to get a second copy for this reason and solve my tac bomber issue this way.)

Personally I would think it would be very hard to shorten it with out messing the game play.  After all in most of my games it has been up in the air on who is winning in the 4 - 6 turn your talking about shorting it to. Even 7 to 8 turns it might be hard to call it.

It might be easier to take away pieces from both sides rather than add to shorten it up.  You could always have a “timed” turn like in chess or some GM/DM in RPG’s so people are not spending 10 minutes deciding what they are going to do.

Beyond that hope you have fun and find some players who will stick it out playing it.  After all its only going to get longer when 1940 Europe comes out.  :-D

Sean

• here’s what we do……we start doing a percentage die roll if Japan has not taken at least 3 victory cities…becuz Japan starts with two VCs captured and this means that Japan hasnt gained any cities…and Japan’s income is less than ALL the Allies on the Chart…

Example:  Japan has 17…USA has 52…China has 20…UK has 23…ANZACs have 16…all National Objectives are included in the totals…

Japan=17
    Allies=111

Japan has 15% of the Allies income…at the start of Japan’s turn the Jap player rolls percentage dice…if he rolls in this case 15% percent or lower…he continues the fight…any higher…Japan surrenders and the game is over…

Japan also rolls if at any time Japan has only Tokyo or 1 victory city captured at ANY time during the game…prob happens when Japan doesnt do too well during the game…

of course this is an optional rule that me and my friends use…sometimes we play to the bitter end when we have the time but we prefer to use this rule to save Japan some time…

Now the same rule applies to the allies if Japan is higher than the Allies combined but has not conquered the six VCs needed…this has happend only once…in the games we have played…

ex: Japan 60…China 0…UK 6…Anzac 4…USA 50…including NO…

Allies roll and  Immediately surrender if the roll is higher than the percentage…when the USA has its turn…

and of course…we also look at the board…if Japan is surrounded and they have no control over anything…we kind of figure the game is done…

use common sense…if the game is no longer in doubt…start a new one…

This is just an idea that i came up with to shorten our games and it really works so far…im still working on some bugs in it…but we have played a lot more games becuz of this rule we have used.

• I want to make a 1942 starting setup for this reason. I can’t get anybody to ever place A&A with me so it is hard for me to come up with this and play test it, but maybe your group could.

• That could be a good idea. Of course if you want a shorter game then i suggest finding the original AAPacific. That game usually was over in 6-7 turns. I would say 2-3 hours if there were no breaks in the game.

• @SSPanzer:

Hey everyone, I was wondering if you guys could give me some feedback about how to shorten A&AP1940 up a bit.

Always attack on J1 and let us know the games turn out for each side. :-)

• @Hobbes:

@SSPanzer:

Hey everyone, I was wondering if you guys could give me some feedback about how to shorten A&AP1940 up a bit.

Oh so you must mean that the allies win every game then?

• @maverick_76:

@Hobbes:

@SSPanzer:

Oh so you must mean that the allies win every game then?

The way to find out if there’s a way or not for J to win on J1 is by trying it lots and I can only play next weekend. I’m just curious about the results.

• @SSPanzer:

Simple.
    Bring over a 12 pack instead of a 24.

• @allboxcars:

@SSPanzer:

Simple.
    Bring over a 12 pack instead of a 24.

I’d say the other way around: bring more of them… you’re more willing to take risks and not think too much  :-D

• besides the way i was doing it…there are many ways to shorten the game

how about trying to capture only 5 cities as Japan?

• That would make the game really easy for Japan. I mean if you are okay with Japan winning every single one of the games then by my guest.

• @maverick_76:

That would make the game really easy for Japan. I mean if you are okay with Japan winning every single one of the games then by my guest.

well…it will shorten the game wont it? :-D

• Yeah but it wouldn’t be any fun, don’t cut off your nose to spite your face, if you get what I mean.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m