Changes to gameplay when Europe40 arrives

• I noticed while playing pacific that when you add the europe board to it, a few things will change, some dramaticly

1. No more emptying of Japan’s northern front
    The Manchuria/Korea border with the Soviet Union will likely not be able to be emptied, assuming the non-agression treaty can be broken by either side, although this might come with penalites, its bad to leave less than two units in each of these territories “just in case” the Soviets creep across the border.

2. No more India lynchpin
    In the global game, India will not be the UK’s capital, London will. So if Japan captures it, they dont get the UK’s IPC stash. Likewise, India will never be collecting 0 IPCs, in Pacific 40 if you reduce UK to just india, and blocade it, you have given them a death sentence, but in the combined game the UK can still supply the India IC with IPCs

3. No more door mat China
    Assuming the USSR can move units into china to represent chinese communists, a few well placed infantry (3-5) there could really slow japan down, turining China into more of a tar-pit than a door mat.

In the combined game japan really gets some more to deal with, an India that cant be starved of IPCs, and a northern front that isnt devoid of units on turn 3. Seeing as japan has the edge now, they might be more of a paper tiger in the global game, playing a little more defense than they are now.

• I know…i expected a few things like this will happen …but it will work out in the end for the better

• This is really going to depend on how the rules for Global work. Some people have been bandying-about the idea of USA having to split its funds between the European and Pacific theatres. This could also be the case for the UK. If so, maybe you’ll have ‘regional capitals’, with India being the likely candidate.

It’s early to say, but if it holds with the good ol’ rules it will definitely change the tactics a lot.

• There is no doubt that the combined game will be much different for Japan.  I expect there will be a new starting unit placement card for Japan, and clearly for everyone else.  In addition to the changes noted above, I suspect that while the USs total income will go up, it will not double.  The reduction of US income that is likely to be dedicated to this theatre will be offset by the threat Russia adds to Japan’s security.  The new KJF-KGF threads will be interesting.  And I wonder if Japan will have to consider the impact to Germany before bringing the US into the war?

• '19 '18 '17 '16 '15 '14 '13 '10

Well for one I do not think Russia would be sending troops into China.  I bet there would be a political situation that would prevent it.

Just like if forces land in Russia that are fighting against Japan.  They probably would be interned or something of the like.

It will be interesting though.

Sean

• This could also be the case for the UK. If so, maybe you’ll have ‘regional capitals’, with India being the likely candidate

I betchu a hotdog that will be the case.

• but again, this is supposed to be a stand alone game.  if you are saying japs are too powerful now but wait till the combined game….that’s great planning from WOTC.  First time buyers are going to be turned off to how unbalanced the game is (and the lack of quality and pieces) and will be less likely to buy Europe.

• We have only played a couple of games. In my brief experience the Manchurian’s are over kill in this game. They are not tied up vs Russia, so they only add to the earlier demise of China. The Chinese don’t get any help because of political situations (fear of war or weakening UK). I think that will change in the global game. Russia should be able to aid China w/o consequences (I hope). Russia may not have any def units (tanks /ftr) to send there early on, however an AA gun would come in handy (PS: China should get AA at set-up or at least be able to buy one IMO). Also Russia just being on the Jap boarder should keep those Manchurian’s tied up.

The other thing that will help the allies is that the British (India) ships will have more options, they won’t be trapped at the edge of the earth any more. The UK (India) won’t be forced into a last stand that they can’t win either. I think the India IC may be converted to a minor, unless UK gets 2 capitals and India is left as its own power (can’t see that happening). The Aussie IC was already reduced to a minor. I think money will be tied to these British Commonwealth minor IC’s (regional spending), and you may have to turn over a certain amount if you lose them, but the Brits will continue unless England is knock out. Under this theory I wonder if the 2 British minors would be able to continue if England falls, that would be awesome.

• what about Canadians?  They have a roundel on the two territories in Pacific.

• Obvious, the Dutch will also appear on the global board with it’s historical strong, huge navy. I guess three battleships, 2 carriers and 15 subs  :-D

• Customizer

also remember, that AAE will release with a axis that are powerful enough to win 50% of the time WITHOUT the japanese

so this means, perhaps, that in the combined game a japan that attacks russia big time may just make it an axis win all the time combined game

• Unless there is a huge penalty in attacking russia
    or a huge force on the border

Japan attacking russia big time would be bad……basicly the pacific allies get ALL their bonuses alot easier, ANZAC can cover for UK there, and UK can funnel its spare cash to the European front, D-Day happens alot sooner…

I just dont want to play revised all over again on a bigger board

• @KH:

Obvious, the Dutch will also appear on the global board with it’s historical strong, huge navy. I guess three battleships, 2 carriers and 15 subs  :-D

I don’t see the Dutch having a navy at all. This game starts with the the low countries all ready in Germany’s control. AA40P shows this by leaving them totally unprotected w/no navy.

@spectre_04:

what about Canadians?  They have a roundel on the two territories in Pacific.

I could see a minor IC in Quebec. Giving them a Hudson Bay sz (shelter) w/access to the N Atlantic. That would at least show the importance of Canada in the war.

• wrap your mind around this, i doubt this is how the global game will work, but its a neat concept

UK player controls ANZAC….these units have a seperate turn, and cant share IPCs
    now get this…Canada also goes during ANZACs turn, and uses ANZAC units to represent canadians (since these units wont find themselves in the same theatres very often, they can represent two differnet countries) Canada has a minor IC, collects its own IPCs (from canadian roundels) maybe about 8 total a turn.

It would be a neat way to represent canada, they did as much as, if not MORE than ANZAC during the war
    also keeping Canadian IPCs seperate from UK IPCs would mean germany could more effectivley convoy raid the sea zones around the UK

• @Veqryn:

also remember, that AAE will release with a axis that are powerful enough to win 50% of the time WITHOUT the japanese

so this means, perhaps, that in the combined game a japan that attacks russia big time may just make it an axis win all the time combined game

I would say they’ll sufficiently support the Soviet East with the global rules. Remember, there’s a number of Soviet territories that don’t have coverage in AAP40.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m