• So this situation had the possibility to come up in the game we were playing today:

The US controls Midway (with an Airbase) and has 2 Fighters present. There is a US sub present in the Midway sea zone as well.

Japan attacks the sea zone with 2 Fighters of her own and a DD in an attempt to kill the US sub. The US player ‘scrambles’ the Fighters into the sea zone to defend the sub.

The Japanese player hits once with a Fighter and the US player picks the sub for a casualty.

Ok, now for the question:

The US player fires back and scores one hit with a Fighter and one hit with the Sub.

In what order does the Japanese player have to take the hits? Can he apply the US Fighter ‘hit’ to his DD and then ignore the Sub’s hit (since the remaining planes cannot be hit by subs)? I can see the argument there because nothing says he cant apply the Fighter’s hit first which would leave no valid target for the Sub’s hit.

I would hope that the hits have to be applied so as to satisfy as many as possible, but I can see the ‘grey area’ in the rules concerning something like this.

Any official thoughts on this?

Thanks in advance!

• We always let the player pick a casualty immediatly, before the second die is rolled. And the attacker needs to throw for the lowest units first. So first the sub (1) , so it needs to be the DD and then the fighters (4).

• Official Q&A

Since Japan has a destroyer, the US fires with the fighters and sub at the same time.  Since all units are rolled for before casualties are selected, the Japan player must assign both hits at the same time.  The only way that both hits can be assigned is if Japan takes the sub hit on its destroyer, so it must do so.

• Ok, great. Thanks for the answer!

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m