December 17, 2017, 04:09:43 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Help support TripleA software development. Search me
  Articles  
   Home   Help Login Register AACalc  
Pages: 1 2 »
  Print  
Author Topic: China too weak  (Read 2462 times)
mohare6
A&A.org Infantry

View Profile
« on: December 29, 2009, 06:53:54 pm »

Don't know about any of you guys but, I got my copy of AAP40 and Ive only played one game, but China seems much too weak. I played as Japan and never once had to send any additional units to my china front, not counting the units from Manchuria, and was able to easily take all of china in a few turns. I thought that the Chinese were supposed to be a major thorn in the Japanese side in the game but china was a pushover in my game. It seems like the chinese were much more a force in the old pacific. Just my two cents. What have your experiences with china in the new game been like
RogertheShrubber
A&A.org Artillery

I arrange, design, and sell shrubberies

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2009, 07:09:26 pm »

Think of the China territories as a Chess board.  I constantly move and reposition my strongpoints with China.  Early on I try to hold on to the Burma road territories as long as possible, but after a few turns I retreat from those areas.  I think alot of players early on here have clung to the Szcheswan territory and tried to fortify that since the Tiger fighter originates there and its the beginning of the Burma road.  The ability to place units on any territory even if its newly accuired is very usefull.  Retake Yunnan in round one, then place 4 inf there.  This ability is very annoying for the Japan player.  My strategy usually is to try to hold on to Yunnan and Szechwan if I can, but then retreat into the interior territories and draw the Japanese all the way to the edge and northwest corner of the map.   
EvilGardenGnome
A&A.org Mechanized Infantry

Vae victis!

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2009, 07:19:46 pm »

I've typically used the Chinese as rear-defence for the British and as a threat to Japanese areas.

If I see the Japanese leave space open in China, I drop my troops there. It forces my opponent to draw off some forces from the British or give up a few IPCs and face more of the Chinese whack-a-mole attacks.
Butcher
A&A.org Fighter

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2009, 08:33:19 pm »

China is plenty strong enough to serve it's purpose. It can have infantry pop up anywhere, so Japan must cover every front. Also, combining their infantry and Flying Tigers with British units in Yunnan creates a powerful defensive stack.
thenorthman
A&A.org Mechanized Infantry

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2009, 08:48:08 pm »

China is plenty strong enough to serve it's purpose. It can have infantry pop up anywhere, so Japan must cover every front. Also, combining their infantry and Flying Tigers with British units in Yunnan creates a powerful defensive stack.

So do the infantry have the ability to pop up where Japan took over a territory but do not have a troop garrisoned there?

Sean
Butcher
A&A.org Fighter

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2009, 08:50:25 pm »

Sorry if the wording was unclear, I meant any territory China controls.
Tavenier
A&A.org Tank

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 30, 2009, 12:18:36 am »

I have played 6 games so far and in one of them China was completely conquered.
I always leave the fighter behind (of course) and place one or two new inf with it, to prevent a strafing attack. Admittedly, if the British fall, then China is in real trouble, with no allies to retake the BUrma road.
I never seen China being able to build art by the way.
miragehunter
A&A.org Artillery

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 30, 2009, 04:03:26 am »

I've only played two games so far.  And China is weak.  But not overly to weak.  I don't think they could hold their own.  But as long as UK is in the fight.  Then they are a viable fight force (especially when you keep the Burma road open).  If China does well the first 2 or 3 rounds then Japan has a problem because they'll have US breathing down neck.
RJL518
A&A.org Tank

Military operations NEVER go according to plan!

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 30, 2009, 08:45:06 am »

I think it depends who is playing China and what strategy they are using...China can be a major pebble in Japan's shoe if played right...I have played China twice...once i got crushed and the 2nd time i gave Japan so much trouble that he had to build an IC in Shanghai to deal with me and it cost him the game in the Pacific....
Uncle_Joe
A&A.org Artillery

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 30, 2009, 08:51:54 am »

I think China is a trade off. Japan has the capacity to crush China with little trouble, but in order to do so she has to forgo hitting the rest of the Allies early in the game with her full power. On the other hand, if Japan wants to prevent the Brits from making all that extra money in the DEI, then China will likely be a bigger pain in the neck as Brit forces will be able to fight the Japanese simultaneously.
oztea
A&A.org Destroyer

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 30, 2009, 01:54:18 pm »

Here is the problem....what japan has that starts on mainland asia, in contact with what is china, is sufficent to strangle china, each turn, if you crawl south-west with your infantry and artillery, and china trys to hold the road (logical strategy) then you just choke them. they lose 3 territores a turn, and so long as britain doesnt declare war early, then you just roll over china

as UK you NEED to get china an AA gun, negating the japanese advatage which is:
Japan can win any one fight on the mainland by throwing 10 or so planes in with its land forces.

UK 1 I build an AA gun now, and send one to burma, ready to move it into china when war starts.

Soviet forces on the border with japan could change alot of the mechanics of the china battle. The ��� player wont empty korea and manchuria for long, EVEN IF USSR cant attack them untill a condition is met somewhere, just because it feels ackward to leave border territories empty, with 4 or so infantry and who knows what else on the other side.
RogertheShrubber
A&A.org Artillery

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 30, 2009, 03:22:43 pm »

The AA gun is critical.  I also buy an AA move it to China, and place the second AA in Burma.  The Burma AA makes it tough for any SBR on India, meaning you get three sets of AA roles if they conduct SBR on the mainland.  My oponnent the other day recognized this and tried to set up shop in Sumatra to SBR. 
BadSpeller
A&A.org Destroyer

The Giant Squid: Mini-Expansion

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 30, 2009, 03:52:10 pm »

The AA gun is critical.  I also buy an AA move it to China, and place the second AA in Burma.  The Burma AA makes it tough for any SBR on India, meaning you get three sets of AA roles if they conduct SBR on the mainland.  My oponnent the other day recognized this and tried to set up shop in Sumatra to SBR. 

AAP40Rulebook>page25>Antiaircraft Guns>paragraph2>
"Air Defense:  An antiaircraft gun can only fire at an air unit when that unit attacks the territory containing that antiaircraft gun.  It does not contribute to the defense of industrial complexes, airbase, or naval bases.  These facilities are considered to have their own built-in antiaircraft defense system."

Only 1 die for each strategic bomber.
Gargantua
A&A.org Heavy Bomber

AA.org's Villain

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 30, 2009, 04:00:13 pm »

China can win but only through counter-attack, you can't beat Japan by blocking thier path with units on defence.

Instead, let them take ground for FREE during thier move, and then counter thier infantry 1 at a time through counter-attacks.  This severely limits the amount of troops japan can keep on the ground, and in turn, restricts the amount of aircraft they can use to support them (Because Japan is not likely to suicide fgts and tac bmb's into plain chinese infantry)

This has been an effective method, each time I've used it.  It helps the allied effort, by forcing japan to commit more and more troops.

In short - Play hide and seek with Japanese Aircraft.
RogertheShrubber
A&A.org Artillery

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 30, 2009, 07:35:24 pm »

AAP40Rulebook>page25>Antiaircraft Guns>paragraph2>
"Air Defense:  An antiaircraft gun can only fire at an air unit when that unit attacks the territory containing that antiaircraft gun.  It does not contribute to the defense of industrial complexes, airbase, or naval bases.  These facilities are considered to have their own built-in antiaircraft defense system."

Only 1 die for each strategic bomber.
Sorry I still play a lot of classic and AAE, and we carry over that rule to the games in my play group.  My bad.
Pages: 1 2 »
  Print  

Jump to:  

2017 Support Drive

Read about this support drive.
Support Level
Forum Username
Note: payee will appear as Livid Labs, LLC.
Buy Axis & Allies
  • Axis & Allies 1942 [Amazon]
  • A&A Pacific 1940 [Amazon]
  • A&A Europe 1940 [FMG]
  • [eBay]
  • [eBay]
  • A&A D-Day [Amazon]
  • A&A Battle of the Bulge [Amazon]
  • [eBay]
  • [eBay]
  • WWII Themed Combat Dice [FMG]

Axis and Allies.org Official Gold Sponsor: Historical Board Gaming