Why plane not on island can't scramble?

• I am wrong?
    Plane not on an island but on a territory next to a sea zone with an airport can’t scramble?
    Why?!!
    Thx all!

• The rationale is that it can scrable in a circle around the island, thus reaching into a majority of the seazone, so it can participate in combat.

However, a base on a coastline can only project in a 180 degree arc into the sea zone, not as much of a presence projected into the seazone.

now japan is the exception to this train of thought, but if you assume the island(s) are covered with well placed bases then there is an explanation

• Perhaps another reason for this would be the amount of coastline the fighter/tac bombers would need to cover. Most islands were small, an airbase would cover a good part of the island. But take the western US for instance, the aircraft would need to cover hundreds of miles of coastline to defend the adjacent sea zone.

• Official Q&A

These explanations are as good as any!  :-D

• I have always been uncomfortable with some of the island rules.  I don’t understand why a fighter can fly into a SZ and land on a carrier, but has to spend an extra movement point to land on an island.  I have always wanted to treat islands as unsinkable carriers.  In the opposite direction, why should any planes not be able to scramble from a carrier to defend an island.  A carrier is as good as an airbase to me.  Actually, I think a carrier would be better for scrambling.

But, rules are rules.

• Ok, that was a question that I had as well, so only islands can get the most benefit out of airbases, such as the scramble ability. Good to know.

• carrier rule is a bit of a joke.  my fleet @ pearl goes to attack japan, it can make it thanks to the navy base there, but for some reason my planes have to fly the whole way from hawaii, not sit on the carrier’s deck until one SZ out…so you can’t use them for an attack on the mainland…lame.

• Can fighters scramble from japan?

• Yes. All territories surrounded by one sea zone and with an airbase can have their fighters scramble.

• on a related note, I certanly hope the UK is one territory in Europe 1940. So they can scramble to protect it just as japan does

eventhough japan is really 4 islands blah blah blah.

Anyone notice the game doesnt have ANY sea zones containing mutiple island territories……strange to me
    Europe has to I think (Malta & Sicily)

• @MaherC:

carrier rule is a bit of a joke.  my fleet @ pearl goes to attack japan, it can make it thanks to the navy base there, but for some reason my planes have to fly the whole way from hawaii, not sit on the carrier’s deck until one SZ out…so you can’t use them for an attack on the mainland…lame.

Remember that combat movement all happens simultaneously, so that is the reasoning behind why planes have to take off from a carrier before it can move. And landing happens on the non-combat phase, at least that is the only thing I can think of as to why you have to do it that way.

• on a related note, I certanly hope the UK is one territory in Europe 1940. So they can scramble to protect it just as japan does

That would mean that Britain could only touch one sea zone (unless they want to make an exception rule) and would almost completely rule out any possibility of a German naval attack or Sea Lion attack.

It would probably make it too easy to build up and invasion force to clobber Germany since the US can just stack up planes in England and they can defend the entire Brit fleet as well.

Not sure I’d like that…

• '19 '18 '17 '16 '15 '14 '13 '10

@Uncle_Joe:

on a related note, I certanly hope the UK is one territory in Europe 1940. So they can scramble to protect it just as japan does

That would mean that Britain could only touch one sea zone (unless they want to make an exception rule) and would almost completely rule out any possibility of a German naval attack or Sea Lion attack.

It would probably make it too easy to build up and invasion force to clobber Germany since the US can just stack up planes in England and they can defend the entire Brit fleet as well.

Not sure I’d like that…

I would have to agree.

Sean

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m