• just got aap40 saturday.  i have been very excited to get and play it.  i have read all the posts here and mostly tried to ignore the negativity(sometimes people just btch to btch),  but after opening and inspecting, i got say i feel mostly disapointed with the game.  mind you i havent played yet, but it feels cheap.  the cardboard is not the nice laminated cardboard of aa50.  the mech inf look smooshed.  the dice are ugly but i can grow to like ugly if they roll well.  the board itself is ok, but still not the nice cardboard of aa50.  the boxes are a good idea but is a chinese box for 16inf really necessary?  i miss the cardboard covers to each box.  the battle box and casualty zone aren’t even connected, though i never use them, but still.  i dont know, i guess i am glad i only paid $68 instead of the $90 some people are paying.  i guess i was looking for more of an aa50 type product.  hopefully it plays well.  i now expect aae40 to be the same type of product, cuz really how could it be of better quality when sitting next this cheaper crap on the same table come next fall?  guess i could always incorporate some of the aa50 game to this one but i dont think i should have to.  i can understand the no paper money thing, but all in all…sadly disapointed.  thanks for reading and putting up with my rant.  i hope it plays better than it looks and feels.  maybe it just another of those great ideas put together shoddily.  oh well.

• Liaison TripleA '11 '10

People never seem to say the same thing about $75 video games, that in 16 play hours you’ve beaten, and 2 years later are worth nothing, and have NO replayability.

Give your head a shake, you’ve purchased a lifetime Hierloom your grandkids will play, for less than dinner and a movie with no promise of sex.

• lol, nice way to look at it.  thanks gar

• video games are $60 and if i hate it in the first week, I can return it and get $30 in trade.

I have to agree with the “cheap feel” to the game.  the board is a mess that won’t stay together with pieces falling between or easily bumped.  if they’d included plastic clips like you put on papers to turn in, then maybe i’d feel better about that.   Lack of units, cardboard, all generally bad for $90.

• the separation between the two boards can be dealt with, AA50 came in 3 pieces, but some heavy duty gorilla tape can fix that.  i do not recomend it though, just keep pieces away from the fault lines.  :-D

• Sure the cardboard pieces and the map aren’t as nice as the stuff that was in AA50, and not anywhere near the quality of the stuff in Guadalcanal, but the sheer quality of gameplay trumps minor aesthetic issues. I think it’s shaping up to be one of the best A&A’s that has been produced thus far in terms of complexity, detail, balance and over all fun. It is a truly amazing game. Just because the components aren’t as ‘nice,’ it doesn’t mean the game is a disappointment. I’d play this game and be happy if it had the same material quality as that old Milton Bradley Axis & Allies.

Keep in mind that these games we love are expensive to make and produce, and that they aren’t exactly a mainstream product… I’m continually impressed with the quality of these games with that perspective in mind. So, stop whining and enjoy the game for what it is and have some appreciation for what Larry and his crew have done for us. If you’re unhappy with a few things, take some ownership of your possessions and fix it yourself.

• I agree. But some things would not be expensive to include. You don’t need to redesign money, factories or AA guns. That would only have cost some plastic and paper and ink.

• I do miss the paper money and plastic pieces for ICs etc, but I can probably live with that.  What I don’t like is not having enough mini’s to play with.  I like to know I won’t run out of ships or planes.  I never mind chipping land units, but I hate using the chips to represent the sea and air units.

• Face it, the only thing good about this game is the concept.

• Sponsor '17 TripleA '11 '10

@Brain:

Face it, the only thing good about this game is the concept.

Don’t you think that’s a bit harsh? I for one am thankful that we have any new A&A games after 25 years and there is a company out there willing to produce them for us. I agree with many of WOTC’s short comings, but I’m happy they picked up the A&A ball when other companies decided to give up.

So here’s a RARE hat’s off to WOTC. :-)

• @Variable:

@Brain:

Face it, the only thing good about this game is the concept.

Don’t you think that’s a bit harsh? I for one am thankful that we have any new A&A games after 25 years and there is a company out there willing to produce them for us. I agree with many of WOTC’s short comings, but I’m happy they picked up the A&A ball when other companies decided to give up.

So here’s a RARE hat’s off to WOTC. :-)

Picked up the ball and fumbled.

• Liaison TripleA '11 '10

LOL! If only Larry threw an Interception to Imperious Leader or FMG! :P

• @Gargantua:

LOL! If only Larry threw an Interception to Imperious Leader or FMG! :P

Just throw the ball to anyone who is not wearing a WOTC Chimps jersey.

• @Admiral:

I think it’s shaping up to be one of the best A&A’s that has been produced thus far in terms of complexity, detail, balance and over all fun. It is a truly amazing game

This game is FAR from balanced, it is should not even be considered unbalanced, it is BROKEN.  Don’t agree?  Setup the game.  Now, replace every tac bomber that isn’t on a carrier with a tank.  Then look at the board.  Would you consider this game balanced at the start?  The INSANE amount of air power the Japanese get to start the game is ridiculous.  Attack J1, by J2 you are taking the DEI.  Game over.  Every time.  This game was designed for 12 yr olds who like to buy copious amounts of units and take it slow for some huge battle involving 32 CV’s.  Wait, they didn’t give you enough for that, use chips OR MY FAVORITE FROM THE RULEBOOK, PIECES OF PAPER!  Really.  You are telling me to write on pieces of paper.  I could have done that on my own and gone to KINKOS to print off a scan of the map, DL’d the rulebook, and saved $70.  THANKS WOTC!  You boned me yet again.

• It’s more like Lizards of the Coast since they only think with the reptile brain which always wants to eat (make money).

• More satisfied customers?

• Oh, I am enjoying the game and looking forward to the Europe remake.  I have to agree with the major complaints though, no money??? I mean its fine for many of us that have every other AA game, we can just cannibalize them.  But if you didn’t own a previous edition you would have no play money, and honestly, I am an artists and not the best at math, so actually holding the money really helps me!!  Also its fun to take away when you capture a capital, like booty, rape and pillage and so on.

• how about the fact that the IPC tracking goes to 48.  That’s fun.  Esp when US/JAP are earning more than that by turn 4 even if you take it slow as Japan.  Right, they gave us the wrong piece of cardboard, I know.  That’s good qual control.  Why am I going to buy Europe?  How broken and cheap will that game be?  They aren’t winning me over with Cust Service either.  Want me and others happy?  Send me double the units, the correct cards, and some plastic AA guns.  Hell, just reprint AA50, put it out for $90 and I’ll be ok with this abortion of a game, provided the quality of a 50 reprint doesn’t mirror this one!

• Yeah, 50 was really good, except for the limited run, I really wish I had bought 2 or 3 of them.

• @spectre_04:

Yeah, 50 was really good, except for the limited run, I really wish I had bought 2 or 3 of them.

Yeah, you and everyone else.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m