• Just got the game today. Very cool. I’m not really complaining but, does anyone else wish the game started Dec. 7th ‘41? Or had a 40’ and 41’ scenerio? It seems it would keep it simple for one thing. Not a lot of new rules about when how you go to war. The game is about war. Just cut out the first 3 rounds of the game and get to it. The games are long enough. I feel you lose historical flavor as well without the sneak attack of the Japanese. The surprise attacks was the main reason the Japanese had a silver of a chance in WWII. There whole philosophy was based around it. In the original AAP this was captured nicely with the defend on 1 rule for the surprise attack. Now we have this artifical the U.S. and U.K. just automatically go to war if not attacked. Just like the real war in AAP 41’ you wanted revenge for those easy attacks.

• now i’ve seen set-up i’m starting to like a full-scale 1940 attack
    phillipines has bomber, british navy can be taken out easily, kwantung too
    US gets +40, i know, but:
    phillipines are gone: -7
    kwantung: - 8 for UK

any responses?

• maybe round 2 might be better.  get everything into position.  we will see

• @jeffdestroyer:

maybe round 2 might be better.  get everything into position.  we will see

Probably the only way to accomplish the “surprise” attack is to start immediately, but the extra 100 ipcs for the US could really sting.

I know it’s not in keeping with the way the game is played, but probably the only way to actually make a surprise attack for Japan even sort of work would be to have used some sort of fleet marker to hide the strength of Japanese naval power at the start of the game.  The allies would have recon to tell them the general area of unit movement (marker), but Japan would have the advantage disguising strength so that when the attack started the allies would either be weakly defended in some locations and strongly in others (but based on incomplete knowledge of japanese strength), or else spread evenly.  Even then that’s not much of a surprise once you’re familiar with the starting strength.

• Larry said something to the point that the US would be strongly encouraged to have a fleet at Pearl? I don’t see it. Why wouldn’t you just pull back and build. I think you lose too much of the histroical flavor with the 1940 start of the game. For me I want to destroy the US fleet at Pearl and try to conquer the rest in time before the US regroups and destroys Japan. You know like WWII.

• @Admiral_Thrawn:

Larry said something to the point that the US would be strongly encouraged to have a fleet at Pearl? I don’t see it. Why wouldn’t you just pull back and build. I think you lose too much of the histroical flavor with the 1940 start of the game. For me I want to destroy the US fleet at Pearl and try to conquer the rest in time before the US regroups and destroys Japan. You know like WWII.

Assuming Japan engages the UK on turn 1 or 2, if the US has a strong enough fleet at Pearl you will force Japan to keep honest with some ships and defense on Japan and Korea.  If the US chooses to keep pulled back then Japan is free to expand south without worrying about a single 3 space transport move from the port in Pearl.

Obviously if Japan is simply maneuvering and hasn’t engaged the US up to US3 then the US has less reason to stay on Hawaii, unless to protect against naval bombardment.

• Not just that, hawawii is a victory city.  If, big if but still if, the Japs can setup to take either India or Australia VC and has a free shot at pearl, its game over man.  Remember, they only need 6 out of 8 to win.  I could see japan setup to hit India hard with starting units, and hit Pearl with purchased units all on turn 3 for a quick win.  Also, Pearl is the perfect place for the US to strike out from as it is within range of nearly everything.  And lastly, Jap units hitting the US at Pearl are not hitting UK/ANZAC, which is also a big deal.  Its all a balancing act.

• ya they realy should have made a 41 scenraio not force us to make one

• '19

what?!?

If you want a 41 scenario get anniversary.

Nobody is forcing anyone to make a 41 scenario the game is called Pacific 1940 and it is supposed to be a potential setup similar to that of the 1940’s and then the point of the game is we decide how history progresses.

• played four games japan has won every time

• @idk_iam_swiss:

played four games japan has won every time

Can you briefly describe the different strategies Japan took in your four games and how the Allies reacted?

• Yeah I’m surprised that Japan has won every game, please do tell us. And i-rock, good luck finding a cheap copy of Anniversary ed. The cheapest I have ever seen it was for $200. I don’t care if the game makes me poop gold after I get done playing it, $200 for one game is ridiculous.

• Buy AA42
    Buy AA40 Pacific

Have nice store print out beautiful pdf map from IL

play game, ANZAC=Italy

or wait for a reprint

• @Admiral_Thrawn:

Just got the game today. Very cool. I’m not really complaining but, does anyone else wish the game started Dec. 7th ‘41? Or had a 40’ and 41’ scenerio? It seems it would keep it simple for one thing. Not a lot of new rules about when how you go to war. The game is about war. Just cut out the first 3 rounds of the game and get to it. The games are long enough. I feel you lose historical flavor as well without the sneak attack of the Japanese. The surprise attacks was the main reason the Japanese had a silver of a chance in WWII. There whole philosophy was based around it. In the original AAP this was captured nicely with the defend on 1 rule for the surprise attack. Now we have this artifical the U.S. and U.K. just automatically go to war if not attacked. Just like the real war in AAP 41’ you wanted revenge for those easy attacks.

Don’t count out the Brits (probably never ANZAC though) attacking Japan first! In our last game Japan had Yunan on J1. China reinforced and sat in Szechwan, so on J2 Japan reinforced Yunan with even more units, and some planes (not all). In all Japan had I think 4 inf, 2 art, 1 tank, 1 mech inf, 4 figs in Yunan, and the BRITS rolled up in there to save an early conquest of China on UK2. They blew Japan out of the water actually with I think, 6 inf, 1 art, 2 tanks, 1 mech inf, 4 figs and a tac bomber. The Brits ruined Japan! It was an exciting move, and big for the allies!

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m