• We weren’t able to finish, but wanted to play anyway. Took about 45 minutes to set up and discuss rules changes. I was ANZAC (I was suckered into the idea of a new power). We had four players for a full game. Order was Japan, USA, China, UK, ANZAC.

Japan, which from my end looked difficult to play, started off by attacking 3 China territories and French Indo China. Thing is, they didn’t want to declare war immediately and awake the Western US Beast (IPC’s for West USA increase by 40, from 10 to 50 as soon as USA goes to war). Japan moved fleet and many planes within striking range of Australia, Phillipines, and Hawaii. Japan later took Alaska which was a good move to keep USA occupied with that, and not with helping Allies, and killing Japan. Japan had millions of planes. Built large navies, seemed like it would be their undoing, as they spent less IPC’s focused on Asia land campaign. Took most of China, declared war on Allies on turn 2 by taking Phillipines, Kwangtung, Borneo, and Celebes. Later in game built a Major IC in Kwangtung, looked scary for China.

America built what navy they could and soon began game of cat and mouse between USA fleet and Japan’s northern pacific fleet (larger than his south pacific fleet). USA also took Dutch New Guinea allowing ANZAC to collect one of their NO’s on their turn. Had to retake Alaska. Had small south pacific fleet that got dominated by horribad rolls against Japans south pacific fleet. (USA: 1 Battleship, 1 Cruis, 2 Dest, 1 sub versus JAP: 1 Battleship, 2 Carrier [each w/1 fig, 1tac], 1 Dest, 1 Sub) Later attacked major north pacific Jap navy in Japan sea zone, got owned in the face by a million planes. Took back Celebes later in game.

China was a thorn in Japs side the entire game. Early they were getting dominated, lost Burma Road on J1, never lost control of it again (6 IPC bonus). China took territories back, then would lose them, then take em back. Eventually crawled back to control almost what they started with. Should have been a number 1 priority for Japan.

Britian took Sumatra, Java, reinforced Burma, and purchased ground troops. Seems good move for Britian to play a land campaign in Asia. Turn 2 had Celebes as well and both bonuses, and were making money in the 30’s. This was powerful for Brits land campaign, able to send many tanks and inf into China when war started. Held Burma Road very well. Ended up retaking Kwangtung with Jap Major IC on it. (Japan probably would have retaken it if we finished since he had many land troops nearby to recap, but he lost 6 figs and 3 tacs when he lost Kwangtung). Britian lost they small fleet to Jap south pacific fleet in an attack that failed almost as bad as USA’s same attack on the same fleet. Lost their Dutch East Indies and Borneo to Japs, retook it about same time as Kwangtung. Took SIam and French Indo China early too.

Anzac makes destroyer, 2 carriers, sub in a few turns, finishes up the Jap south Pacific barely, since USA and UK failed miserably to do so. Lost alot in that fight and had to rebuild figs and subs, saved Carriers. Had New Guineas, Solomon, New Britian the entire game for bonus 5 ipc NO. Took Caroline Islands base later in game for 2nd NO. Retook Java late in game, highest made was 14 IPC on chart, 20 ipc in one turn only, after having 2/2 NO’s.

My thoughts:

Dice are crappy.
    Flimsy cardboard charts.
    No paper money.
    I liked the cardboard counters for IC’s and Naval/Air Bases.
    Liked the country containers just like in AA50, but they lacked dividers in the trays.
    The map is big and beautiful.
    Couldn’t figure out what Mongolia was for, or could do, or could suffer.
    Japan has too few Tactial Bomber pieces.
    Wish China had their own Artilery.
    Didn’t use Mech Infantry that much, and when it came down to it, would rather buy either Artilley or Tanks.
    Loved the Naval/Air bases and the movement bonus.
    Didn’t utilize convoy’s at all.
    Had no SBR’s.
    First few turns go really quick.
    We wished that the IPC’s from the Chinese territories Japan began the game with could go to whoever took them, not just straight to China. (Britian could have used them.)
    USA is a beast. Had some crappy rolls though.
    Japan burned bright and hot quickly, then faded away. Mistakes were made though.
    Britian is a beast for a few beginning turns if they get bonuses and Dutch East Indies. Looks very fun to play.
    China is weak but stubborn.
    ANZAC is weak, little navy, lots of figs, no money, and the 1 bonus NO only once the entire game is weak sauce.

I loved the game, and I have another scheduled on Saturday morning! Next up I’m probably playing as is Japan.

• Great to read your feedback :) Can’t wait to get the game myself :D

• Thanks for the feed back, very cool. I have mine set up and will play tomorrow night. Looking at set up I was thinking (if Japan) you have to go for Asia early, maybe push south and try to take out India.

Most people are saying to tiptoe around the US, so you don’t bring them into the war. Maybe even try to sucker UK/Anzac into attacking you first so you can fight them while still keeping the USA out.

I’m wondering if you should just nail the Philippines rd #1. Yea the US would get a $40 bonus(for two rds), but they should loose $42 worth of stuff there + 2IPC’s for the tt and 5IPC’s for there NO (for many rds), that’s $49+. You should have minimal causalities if you hit it hard and there is no AA gun. You can also start taking the $ islands rd #1. The bulk of you fleet will now be south to take the other money islands rd #2 (+ the NO bonus). You will also be in position to trap the UK fleet, and maybe crush it, all the while your still pushing through China in Asia, on your way to India. You may want to build a minor IC on the Asian coast.  When your at the Philippines they won’t know if your going south to Australia, or west to India. Keep them guessing. If you can take out the UK that closes your back door. It also permanently closes the Burma road, and will be easier to finish off China. The Anzac will be growing and the US will be a monster, but your income will also bee on the rise with tt gain & NO’s (65-70 I’m guessing). Of coarse you should start building fleet at home right away because the US will be coming. Make sure you can meet them with plenty of air power, and use your new ports (thanks UK) to hop around quicker.

• @bigopfer:

Britian is a beast for a few beginning turns if they get bonuses and Dutch East Indies. Looks very fun to play.

I loved the game, and I have another scheduled on Saturday morning! Next up I’m probably playing as is Japan.

This makes me a happy brit ^^ Chocks away chaps!

• We played the 1st couple/3 of turns: US evacuated the Philippines and moved the bulk of that force to Borneo, leaving behind only 1 inf. The Brits had taken Celebes and Dutch New Guinea, those moves denied those IPC’s to Japan early and now she has to work for them when the War really breaks out!

• Thanks for telling us how the game was! :-)  Can’t wait to try it out myself!

• I don’t even have the game, and you guys are already playing. Life is not fair. I know, no one ever told me life was fair.

• @Shakespeare:

We played the 1st couple/3 of turns: US evacuated the Philippines and moved the bulk of that force to Borneo, leaving behind only 1 inf. The Brits had taken Celebes and Dutch New Guinea, those moves denied those IPC’s to Japan early and now she has to work for them when the War really breaks out!

Yes USA in our game did that exact same thing only difference was that they took Dutch New Guinea instead of Borneo. But either way, I do think its important for ether UK or USA to get Dutch new guinea for ANZAC to get their bonus 5. I guess ANZAC could get it on their turn, but we felt like USA’s small force down in south pacific was more expendable since they would be making much more money.

Also, Wild Bill, Japan in our game bought only 2 tac bombers and 2 figs only once in the entire game, they had so many planes to start with it was ridiculous, so maybe they don’t need to waste money purchasing any until they lose the ones they start with? Of course, buying more wouldn’t hurt :)

• Yes, my son who regularly plays Japan in AA50 and the original AAPacific, said he was overwhelmed with all the airpower the Japanese have at the beginning of this game. He said he did not know how or where to begin employing all that airpower.

But what he did do early was to build 2 more carriers so by the 3rd turn he had 6 carriers. So he attacked Pearl Harbor with 5. They were each filled with a fighter and tac bomber!

He decimated a sizable USA fleet with a loss to him of 1 carrier and a cruiser and a destroyer and 2 fighters, but his amphibious landing failed!

• TripleA '12

I’m still waiting for a phone call from my local game store! I’m in UK and I believe it has been released today. Absolutely champing at the bit for this title. Will post again as soon as I’ve picked up my copy… :|

• Official Q&A

@bigopfer:

I do think its important for ether UK or USA to get Dutch new guinea for ANZAC to get their bonus 5. I guess ANZAC could get it on their turn, but we felt like USA’s small force down in south pacific was more expendable since they would be making much more money.

The US is not allowed to claim free Dutch territories.  Only the UK or ANZAC may do this.

• Do you think this game is better balanced than AAPacific?  Do both sides have a good chance of winning depending on how the game goes?

• @Lozmoid:

I’m still waiting for a phone call from my local game store! I’m in UK and I believe it has been released today. Absolutely champing at the bit for this title. Will post again as soon as I’ve picked up my copy… :|

where did you get it if you dont mind me asking.  im from UK had to import it.

• Oh boy!  :-(

Figured I would get a few things wrong!!

• @General:

@Lozmoid:

where did you get it if you dont mind me asking.  im from UK had to import it.

I too am curious about that. Also, what price are people paying? It seems to be pricier than Anniversary, even though it should be the same.

• I paid $67 u.s dollars

• Any thoughts of attacking sea zone 26, Pearl Harbor on J1 and taking over Hawaii? This would remove US from piling on Hawaii with airplanes on an airfield where they can scramble and fight in sea zone 26, gives Japan a +5 from NO and +1 from TT, US would no longer be one move away from Japan coming out of Hawaii with a naval base, and destroys the 2 infantry, fighter, tatical bomber, bomber, and cruiser (? can’t tell from the picture).

• From a first view, id say that if you attack Hawai, you commit yourself to Hawai, it’s so close to the US that you will have to move Most of your fleet there to defend it thus preventing you from mounting a real attack on ANZAC or India. But could work.

• @IMS:

I paid $67 u.s dollars

Are you in the US?

• Hawaii would be dicey.
    I was thinking maybe hit Phil J1 on your way to India. It would bring US in US1, but you can kill $42 worth of US units on Phil, get a NO bonus $5 (and US looses theirs) also set the stage to take the rest of the $ islands rd #2 (giving you NO bonuses and taking them away from the allies). You also push hard into Asia/China rd #! & #2. J3 destroy trapped UK fleet and 1-2 punch India. You’ll also be getting some NB along the way. With your back door closed now you can focus on a growing Anzac, and a monster USA.

You could skip hitting Phil on your way to India, but those air units will come back to haunt you!

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m