• since, convoy attacks seem to only happen in the sea territories bordering the region that the IPCs are coming from, how are convoy rules going to work in the Europian Theater, where in the mid and late war periods most convoy attacks occured in the central North Atlantic, which would not border any land territories?

• Perhaps they’ll put several convoys off the UK coast, off the Canadian coast, the USA coast, the North African coast as well as off of Greenland and Iceland.  Who knows maybe the Atlantic wont be huge (although I’m hoping it takes 2 moves for fighters to make it to the UK).  I’m hoping there will be convoys against the Italians/Germans in the Mediterranean, or something to give the inevitably placed fighter at Malta to do.

• @mike:

Perhaps they’ll put several convoys off the UK coast, off the Canadian coast, the USA coast, the North African coast as well as off of Greenland and Iceland.

But then their will be no subs wating in th central north atlantic which is where u-boats mainly struck after 1941

• We have not yet seen the Europe map, so this is a quite premature issue to start discussing. Who know, WOTC may even get bankrupt before summer 2010, and then we will never even see this map. So what I try to say is, do you want cheese with your whine ?

• Ah yes cheese and wine go together like Aldertag goes with Razor.

• Customizer

The crucial question is this: can allied ships hop across the Atlantic in one turn?

Everything that happens in this theatre depends on this mechanic, for example it determines absolutely where Germany stations it’s U-Boats, or indeed if it’s worth building them at all.

• Maybe this will encourage some German naval builds now. Which will certainly add a nice touch imo. Always wanted to see those Kriegdmarine pieces used more often. :-P

• My guess is : Spain will be at 3 moves from the US and the first german occupied zone at 4, this way, if the allies invade neutral spain they will have a 1 turn landing platform from the US.

• @Flashman:

The crucial question is this: can allied ships hop across the Atlantic in one turn?

Everything that happens in this theatre depends on this mechanic, for example it determines absolutely where Germany stations it’s U-Boats, or indeed if it’s worth building them at all.

With this new navalbases that means that the US and UK are going to have to be at least five see zone away from each other.

• @Flashman:

I always thought the US 1 turn hop across to England or Africa was kinda lame, although when you consider a turn is 4-6 months it is realistic some would argue. There will be more sea zones for sure, but the NB will give you that +1 bonus so 1 extra sz between them won’t make much difference.

**Larry did say however that a ftr could not leave the US and land in England, that it would have to use Iceland as a layover (or land on an A/C I guess). So if you figure a US ftr leaving an AB in E.US gets 5 moves, and can’t get to England, then there has to be at least 5 sz between them. So as a ship leaving from a port on E.US (3 moves) you would be one sz short of getting to the coast of England. So it should take 2 turns to get planes or boats from US to UK. This is a rather large change in the mechanics.

@Kilukru:

My guess is : Spain will be at 3 moves from the US and the first german occupied zone at 4, this way, if the allies invade neutral spain they will have a 1 turn landing platform from the US.

I agree that E.US w/AB & NB shouldl be 4 sz (3 moves by ship) from both Africa & Spain. You will be able to hop across in 1 turn by ship, and once you take the tt your planes will be able to hop across in one turn also. (This part is only speculation).

• Customizer

Ideally the set up should have “killing zone” in mid ocean beyond allied air cover.  The allied ships can get across in two turns through this, or three by a roundabout route via Iceland.

But this would be a game on a different scale, so consider a direct one-turn route which always runs through the same central sea zone; can the Germans realistically use this to sink the convoys, or are the subs always going to be blasted out of the water, especially if the Allies use carriers?

When considering the time factor; yes, it takes less than a “game turn” to cross the sea, but it also takes the enemy less time than this to react and hunt the convoys (which traditional A&A doesn’t allow), hence an artificially wide ocean is needed for a historical playout.

• I’m not sure there will convoy boxes in the mid or south Atlantic (maybe there should be). I would think they would be say off the coast of Brazil or Morocco. Honestly I’m not sure if Germany would even get the opportunity to stray that far in this game so it might not be a benefit to them. Japan might find itself in the South Atlantic though if the allies try some version of KGF. It would be great however to see some kinda fighting going on down there, convoy’s would be one way to attract it.

Although it will probably be a 1 turn shuck across for the US to get to Africa, I hope axis air power and subs will force some detours. I’m also glad to see (through Larry’s above mention post) that US to UK will be 2 turns at least by air or sea…

• The Atlantic will never be as large as the pacific on the game board, and that’s a shame. Id like to see a lot more early war naval clashes, like Bismark vs Hood sort of clashes.

• This is 1940 so Germany should get 1 BB to represent its capital ships at the time. It should also get at least one cruiser a DD or two and a bunch of subs. I wonder if any of the islands in the Danish straights or the Baltic sea will be in the game. Would be pretty cool to have an air base there so the Luftwaffe could protect your fleet, as by rule an AB can’t scramble unless its on an island. Maybe there will be a tech to address this.

• Denmark will probably have its own territory but it be too powerful and unrelaistic for their to be a Baltic island like Gotland on board which could protect the Kriegsmarine

• @Razor:

We have not yet seen the Europe map, so this is a quite premature issue to start discussing. Who know, WOTC may even get bankrupt before summer 2010, and then we will never even see this map. So what I try to say is, do you want cheese with your whine ?

Considering that all the copies of AA50 SOLD OUT, and WOTC STILL doesn’t realize how much of a gold mine the Axis and Allies franchise is, WOTC going bankrupt is definitely a plausible scenario.  Watch them hang onto the copyrights until the bitter end.

• Customizer

Denmark is interesting.  Is it a single land/sea/island territory, or a mainland peninsular plus an island group?  Is there a Kiel canal allowing sea movement from North sea to Baltic? Can enemy ships sail “through” hostile Denmark, or is it treated as having a canal similar to Panama or Egypt?

• In my house rules i have always treated denmark, the dardinelles, and gibraltar as “straights”

Similar to canals, except you only need to control one territory to control naval acess to the crossing of the adjacent sea zone line (Northwestern Europe, Turkey, and Gibralter respectively in AA50"

In europe i bet it will be one singular territory, however Id like to see a rule such as the one I just outlined, that land control of denmark exerts control over the sea around it

• Customizer

Yes, I expect it’ll be the same as in AAE, with the “Denmark Sea” territory completely distinct from the land area.

Denmark really should be one land/island/sea territory, but how do you handle ships parked in the zone; or do they sail straight through from NS to Baltic?

• NS to Baltic, just put the dividing line for the sea zones running through Denmark, only the side with control of Denmark may cross that line.

And have a multiple sea zone Baltic Sea.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m