Rules clarification: submarines, building airfields & home base action

• Hi! I have three questions that I believe I know the (logical) answer to, but would like to adress. These all came up during my latest game:

1: If a submarine damages a ship, does that ship go to the “damaged” zone on the home base card right away, or after all or some combat has been resolved? An example: If a submarine damages a Carrier, can you send in your air to finish the job or is the opportunity lost once “move and attack with subs” is over?
      If the ship retreats before fighters move, then a chance for a VP may be lost, but if the ship stays (say it’s a Cruiser), then it can partake in the following sea attack, which may not always be what the sub player wish.

2: If a ship is damaged and not repaired, it can still be attacked and destroyed on a roll of 1 or 2, right? Also, the home base card contains only one sea zone, correct? So all you have to do is fly in over the base card, and you’re in reach of the “damaged” zone?

3: If both players ship supplies to New Georgia in the same turn, who gets to build airfields if there is only one empty slot? We decided that the First Player gets to build, but I would like to have this confirmed.

Thanks in advance, and thanks for an excellent site!
    /
    Blitz

• @blitzgordon:

1: If a submarine damages a ship, does that ship go to the “damaged” zone on the home base card right away, or after all or some combat has been resolved? An example: If a submarine damages a Carrier, can you send in your air to finish the job or is the opportunity lost once “move and attack with subs” is over?
    If the ship retreats before fighters move, then a chance for a VP may be lost, but if the ship stays (say it’s a Cruiser), then it can partake in the following sea attack, which may not always be what the sub player wish.

If the ship has resilience it will go to the damaged area before the combat steps.

2: If a ship is damaged and not repaired, it can still be attacked and destroyed on a roll of 1 or 2, right? Also, the home base card contains only one sea zone, correct? So all you have to do is fly in over the base card, and you’re in reach of the “damaged” zone?

Base card is a sea zone and the island. Damaged zone is excluded. Ships in the damaged zone do not participate in combat.

3: If both players ship supplies to New Georgia in the same turn, who gets to build airfields if there is only one empty slot? We decided that the First Player gets to build, but I would like to have this confirmed.

First player gets to build.

• Oh, ok. So a ship in the “damaged” zone cannot be attacked? I figured I was real smart when I sent out a bomber to my opponents’ base card and bombed his unrepaired Carrier. But then I cannot do that?

• @blitzgordon:

Oh, ok. So a ship in the “damaged” zone cannot be attacked? I figured I was real smart when I sent out a bomber to my opponents’ base card and bombed his unrepaired Carrier. But then I cannot do that?

I checked the rulebook and the FAQ and it isn’t really in there. But the damaged zone is seperate from the sea zone and conceptually is supposed to represent moving to very rear areas with drydocks and so on. It also represents that battleships and carriers were very difficult to sink and often escaped to be repaired and fight again.

I play that you can’t attack ships in the damaged zone.

• Yeah, I see what you mean by the very rear and so. Still, I kinda like it that no place is safe. Last time we played, pretty much all aircrarft was viped out and the battle was all transports and infantry for the final rounds, no time to build Carriers. in that situation (agreed, a very specific one), carriers actually become more of a liability, and not repairing it can actually be better. By allowing that space to be bombed, japan can reach the US dock from New Georgia, and the US can reach japans dock from Santa Isabel. Possibly makes or a game with more options for the players. Still, it’s not in the rulebook and your way of looking at it is more in line with “reality”.

On the other hand, the rule about ships going directly to the damaged zone after being hit by subs and fighters not being able to finish the job, is less “real”.

• @blitzgordon:

On the other hand, the rule about ships going directly to the damaged zone after being hit by subs and fighters not being able to finish the job, is less “real”.

Well if the planes have a greater range than a ship’s guns, and planes damage your vessel would you still be around when the enemy ships moved into gun range? And would those enemy vessels be firing on your wounded ship retreating from the action or on the ships still in the fight?

• Granted…

• Official Q&A

The damaged area of the base card is not part of the sea zone.  Ships in it are temporarily out of play and cannot be attacked.

• I see. Good thing I’d have won the game even without that sunken carrier…

• @Krieghund:

The damaged area of the base card is not part of the sea zone.  Ships in it are temporarily out of play and cannot be attacked.

Is that IN the rulebook? Not doubting you, just wondering if I missed it in there.

• Official Q&A

No, it’s not specifically in the rules.  It’s just implied by the fact that the damaged area is on the back side of the card, away from the main sea zone area.  This is more pronounced on the Japanese card than on the American one.  Do you think this needs to be added to the FAQ?  This is the first time it’s ever come up.

• @Krieghund:

No, it’s not specifically in the rules.  It’s just implied by the fact that the damaged area is on the back side of the card, away from the main sea zone area.  This is more pronounced on the Japanese card than on the American one.  Do you think this needs to be added to the FAQ?  This is the first time it’s ever come up.

A specific update for this is probably not necessary but as part of a bigger FAQ update it probably wouldn’t hurt.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m