• i hear everybody talking of 'allies/axis can’t win in '41, and NO’s/tech ruines game

but does anybody play with victory cities?
    if yes, can you share your experiences?

• '10

In the games I’ve been involved in resignations come before achieving VC requirements. Personally, I like NOs. It would suck to be Italy in a non NO game. I suspect tech goes 50/50. Some people make the arguement that less skilled players shy away from tech but I don’t know if that’s true. Tech is certainly cool when you have it. As for me I think China could have been handled better. I would have liked more sea zones w/naval and air bases…I guess I’ll have to wait for the new Pacific. As for which side is favored I’m not sure…perhaps slight edge to axis but allied victory is certainly possible in capable hands

• '18 '17 '16 '15 '13 '11 '10

We are currently playing with 13 VC to claim victory.
    With tech and NO.
    Must be decided after US moved 10th round.

The score so far is;
    Allies…4
    Axis…3
    Draw…1  (advantage allies).

• @Battlingmaxo:

In the games I’ve been involved in resignations come before achieving VC requirements.

Victory cities are irrelevant in AA50.  If your opponent has thirteen cites it’s game over.  You lose.  Period.  Whether you acknowledge this as a victory condition or not there is simply no coming back from such extensive decimation.

• @zooooma:

@Battlingmaxo:

In the games I’ve been involved in resignations come before achieving VC requirements.

Victory cities are irrelevant in AA50.  If your opponent has thirteen cites it’s game over.  You lose.  Period.  Whether you acknowledge this as a victory condition or not there is simply no coming back from such extensive decimation.

And the instructions call 13 “projection” and 15 “surrender with honor”.  LOL I think these are a bit off, to say the least!  15 should be “you are going to be destroyed very soon, and you must like playing A&A a lot to play this long” and 13 is more like “surrender with honor”. 
    Well, at least the VC’s are in place, so we can use them to our liking.  It’s just that the numbers picked in the instructions are kind of laughable, as the above posters have basically said.

• With a 13 Victory City game, technically the Axis don’t even have to capture a capital city. I like this idea, it means Japan doesn’t actually have to attack Russia.

A 15 VC game is pointless, this requires the Axis to capture 2 capitals. The game is pretty much over once one capital city falls and you hold your own.

The game should’ve had a 13, 14, and 15 VC option, not 13, 15, 17.

• @Rammstein:

With a 13 Victory City game, technically the Axis don’t even have to capture a capital city. I like this idea, it means Japan doesn’t actually have to attack Russia.

A 15 VC game is pointless, this requires the Axis to capture 2 capitals. The game is pretty much over once one capital city falls and you hold your own.

12-13 VC’s sounds like fun, but is it with or without NO’s?
    cause with, i think axis win almost 100%

• @Rammstein:

Or eleven, twelve, and thirteen.  Thirteen is game over regardless, so anything higher is redundant.

• Agreed.  It would be interesting to play a VC game sometime.

• I think VC should take on more of a role in the game other then what they do now. They should allow certain advantages. Like you can deploy 1 inf w/o IC. They could make IC airbase and ports cheaper maybe because of infrastructure. They could also represent a type of blockhouse rule were they get a def bonus of some kind. Something like that would give them more value in the game. They would have importance even if you don’t play with VC conditions.

• They could be like a territory within a terrirory worth additional IPC’s

• Yea could be treated like an NO. Add up your VC get like 1 ipc for each. That way you would also track how many you have.

• We have played full 6 player games with NOs, techs and VCs every game, both 41 and 42 set-ups and both sides have managed to win in 41 and 42, so it can be done. We have a group that is a little older, has been playing A&A since the early days and we like to think we are fairly experienced. we usaully play to 13 VC as this is a long enough game and usually takes 10 hours to play.

All of our games have been won with VC, and Capitals barely are ever taken, only if you play to 15 VC; at 13 the Allies do not need a Capital if they get all the rest, and even the Axis can do it without taking US or UK, but must take either Canada or Moscow. Usually the Axis win when Russia falls. Usually the Allies win when either Japan is reigned in and outta Asia, or when Germany and Italy are overwhelmed and reduced.

I actually really like the NOs, the VCs, and the Techs. The techs have not been a deciding factor in our games as it still comes down to the best strategies and of course the dice have to be kind. 8-)

• I had forgotten about that.  We usually play until one side concedes.  We’ll have to remember this next time we play.

• If either side has 13 or more VCs and the other hasn’t conceded yet you are only still playing to kill time.

• @zooooma:

If either side has 13 or more VCs and the other hasn’t conceded yet you are only still playing to kill time.

Sometimes it’s fun to reap the fruits of your labors!  :lol:

• @gamerman01:

@zooooma:

If either side has 13 or more VCs and the other hasn’t conceded yet you are only still playing to kill time.

Sometimes it’s fun to reap the fruits of your labors!   :lol:

Actually you are correct because the game starts to really get fun when you have all this money to play with and you can buy whatever you want, and that does not usually happen until you are on the verge of winning or have already won with the 13 VCs. :-D

• I’ve certainly finished games (maybe not A&A) that were almost over yet completely forgone.

A&A can take a long time to finish.  I once played the Gamemaster edition against an opponent who insisted the game wasn’t over till I occupied both Germany and Japan.  I had a factory in the Soviet far East building Russian transports by the end of it.  It was fun, I admit.

@Axis Roll - I think you are being funny.  I find the game most fun when I’m under some pressure but still have a good fighting chance.  But sometimes these games are the best when you’re brand new.  Then you can buy whatever you want because you haven’t yet learned that some purchases are stupid!

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m