• '10

Will AA50 be relegated to a secondary/subservient/non-existent position when both the new AAE/AAP are available?

Maybe this should be a poll

• I was wondering this myself.  I think that AAE and AAp40 will both be huge games that will be the cornerstones for Axis and Allies for years to come.  But there in lies the problem.  Will they be as smooth and brilliant as AA50 or will they be cheap and slapdash like AA42.
    I think we can all agree that AA50 was a masterpiece, in terms of charts and boards and looks, and rules.  It was every player’s dream.  I think we are all expecting AAE40 and AAP40 to be of the same mold.  I am hoping they spend the time to make them like AAE.
    But a 6 foot combined board, multiple countries, great new units, and new rules sound outstanding.  I think once AAE comes out, very few people will play the games individually and play them as one super game.

• The real question is who will have time to play it FTF?

I have AA Classic, Revised, Europe, Pacific, 50, and now 1942 but our group usually has time for Revised now 1942.  We’ve played FTF one game of AA 50 41 and 42 scenario but it takes too long to setup and to play.

For AA50 we are now PBF as it’s easier for time but not for making moves as staring at a map program is not a fun thing to do.

So now AAP40 and AAE40 is coming out with bigger boards, assuming new rules, etc, etc, who will have time and space to play it FTF.

Classic was great for casual 5 player game because back then we didn’t know better and played on for fun.

I’m not sure if the game is endangered or the actual FTF games will be.  For our group it’s probably FTF games with AA50, AAE40 & AAP40.

• '10

@gnasape:

For AA50 we are now PBF as it’s easier for time but not for making moves as staring at a map program is not a fun thing to do.

It took me about 2 full turns in my first pbf game before I could plan on Battlemap….I had the board set up did my moves there and reconciled the battlemap. The other day I set up AAE to putz around…what a pain to set the board up.

I recommend a 2 monitor setup to pbf…so you wont have to collapse the map every time you want to type a move

• @Battlingmaxo:

@gnasape:

It took me about 2 full turns in my first pbf game before I could plan on Battlemap….I had the board set up did my moves there and reconciled the battlemap. The other day I set up AAE to putz around…what a pain to set the board up.

I recommend a 2 monitor setup to pbf…so you wont have to collapse the map every time you want to type a move

Agreed, I have the notepad open so I can type my moves and move the pieces at the same time but the map is only so big compared to the monitor. Unlike you I can’t setup my board or my cat will chew on the pieces and knock everything down!

• I’m just trying to imagine how big a monitor has to be (or what a resolution the monitor has to have) for a combined AAE/AAP map with ABattleMap.
    :-)

• @P@nther:

I’m just trying to imagine how big a monitor has to be (or what a resolution the monitor has to have) for a combined AAE/AAP map with ABattleMap.
    :-)

The monitor needs to be 30 inches by 70 inches. :-P  The monitor also needs to be a flat screen, so that it can be laid flat. :mrgreen:

• '10

@gnasape:

Agreed, I have the notepad open so I can type my moves and move the pieces at the same time but the map is only so big compared to the monitor. Unlike you I can’t setup my board or my cat will chew on the pieces and knock everything down!

The AA50 battlemap fits nicely on a 20 inch with 1600 x1200

• gnaseape I use Abattlemap to record the positions of the pieces for my face to face games for the same reason, the dreaded attack cat.

You can zoom in and out with battlemap but if I remember correctly the piece sizes stay the same. As Battlingmaxo said it really dose not take that long to adjust to. On this comp battlemap shows probably 3/4 or so of the board and that works to me as oppsoed to some of the other programs where all you can see at one time is Europe.

Since AA50 is slightly larger than the table I have for my face to face games looks like we will have to get a cheap lap top for playing AA40P and AA40E. Which would suit me fine anyway.

• @a44bigdog:

gnaseape I use Abattlemap to record the positions of the pieces for my face to face games for the same reason, the dreaded attack cat.

You can zoom in and out with battlemap but if I remember correctly the piece sizes stay the same. As Battlingmaxo said it really dose not take that long to adjust to. On this comp battlemap shows probably 3/4 or so of the board and that works to me as oppsoed to some of the other programs where all you can see at one time is Europe.

Since AA50 is slightly larger than the table I have for my face to face games looks like we will have to get a cheap lap top for playing AA40P and AA40E. Which would suit me fine anyway.

We tried one time but the wait between the FTF game drove me crazy, I was running all kind of different scenarios in my mind and it drove me crazy so we make it a point that the game has to end by the end of our sessions, our sessions last about 5-6 hours and with AA50 that’s not many turns with everyone being new to AA50.

• '18 '17 '16 '11 Moderator

Speaking of Battlemap, I think it’s utilities like that which will save Anniversary Edition.  And, best of all, if they are not selling it anymore, then you can give away copies because you are not stealing from Larry Harris! (if he wanted the money, he could sell the game.  :P  Just my opinion.  I always worry about stealing from the creator…which is why I bought 3 copies when they came out…I don’t feel bad playing it on battlemap, even though I’ve never actually opened the games!!!)

• I have multiple copies of the game so I feel that Larry Harris/AH/WotC/MB made money off me.  As for AA50 being out of print, I’ll say it again, search your small local hobby store.  There’s one store in HI that still has AAE, AAP, AAR, and the last time I checked AA50 in stock.  This guy has a small store filled with all kinds of board games.  If you put in the effort, you will find it.

As for my self, I still have my 2nd copy of AA50 in it’s original box.  Had the hardest time convincing my wife why I needed 3 copies.

Heck I still remember one of my friends getting AA Classic map hand drawn with the initial setup on regular size paper (in color) and having it laminated so that we could discuss strategy and use it for PBEM.

We’ve come a long way but still as the game gets more complex the longer it takes to setup and play.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m