• i tried this new theory in my last game for the Allies in 42’ and it worked quite well. rather than focusing all my strategic thought on global strategy i simply reduced the game down to economics. my true goal the whole game was to make sure that every round i had higher production than the axis and i always chose battles where i could destroy many IPCs for the least risk to my own high IPC units. by focusing on destroying more IPC value of enemy units than what i lost and by simply developing “micro-strategies” for each region to propogate this strategy i was able to turn the tide inexorably in my favor by round 9. I had faith in the strategy bc each round i kept track of how much IPCs the Axis received and how much I received and then set about maintaining the status quo of me out producing them and then also destroying more IPCs in units. Though I lacked a specific “global strategy”, everything fell into place as i started simply looking for opportunities to make easy gains and engage in combat where the odds were stacked in my favor and the chance for retribution was small.

• Inadvertently, you played by more than by strictly economics.  Key positions are usually worth more IPCs; either seperately or in groups, like Africa, for example.

Against the allied strategy you described, the axis player should realize that since he couldn’t achieve economic dominance, he should push for the strategic ones.

• Customizer

Generally I play that way as Russia.  However, I do not play that way so much as the UK and USA.  I’m guessing you were not playing with NOs

• well certain positions are of more strategic value than IPC for sure. i played with NOs so I did make that part of my econ strategy. i feel that all players should look for opportunites to destroy high value forces especially with air units since they can retreat. I only stay away from this if it severly detracts from an overall arcing strategy.

• '18 '17 '16 '11 Moderator

I find it humorous that people don’t pile allied units into Russia just because of a 5 IPC marker!

5 IPC < 8 British units a round + 10 American units a round.  Honest!

As for looking at the economics (ahem, like above) I’ve done that for years.

• @umrmeche:

well certain positions are of more strategic value than IPC for sure. i played with NOs so I did make that part of my econ strategy. i feel that all players should look for opportunites to destroy high value forces especially with air units since they can retreat. I only stay away from this if it severly detracts from an overall arcing strategy.

My point is that economics ALONE should not drive your entire game plan.  Key/strategic territories should be a focus, even at a loss of units if the prize (territory gain) is worth it.

• '18 '17 '16 '11 Moderator

@axis_roll:

@umrmeche:

well certain positions are of more strategic value than IPC for sure. i played with NOs so I did make that part of my econ strategy. i feel that all players should look for opportunites to destroy high value forces especially with air units since they can retreat. I only stay away from this if it severly detracts from an overall arcing strategy.

My point is that economics ALONE should not drive your entire game plan.  Key/strategic territories should be a focus, even at a loss of units if the prize (territory gain) is worth it.

No, but you wouldn’t trade 200 IPC (both sides lose 200 IPC) if you earn  24 IPC a round and your opponent 50 IPC a round either.  However, if you earn the 50 IPC a round and your opponent 24 IPC a round, you probably would since ECONOMICALLY you can recover faster than he can.

• Liaison TripleA '11 '10

The Game of Axis and Allies is about making a mathematical machine of probabilities that beats someone elses.  That includes the territories you take, the positions your units are in, the options they have, and the IPC’s you are making.

This game IS about the Economics.

Excellent post Umrmeche, combine this type of play, with a General focus of making sure you are constantly giving oppurtunites to take advantage of your opponents and the mistakes they make, and you’ve got a winning strategy 80% of the time :P

You have to remember, lots of People give up before their capital ever falls, and the logisitics of making that happen anyways, are mostly bent on the Economics of the Situation.

Consider this thinking when you are buying your units too.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m