• I have moved this tread to a new one since I don’t got any answers. I have been using this strategy for a while:

http://www.axisandallies.org/forums/index.php?topic=13076.0

I think this strategy is very good, except that I don’t ignore Africa! I prefer to shuck troops to Norway, Karelia, Eastern Europe and then attack Germany as described in the tread. However, there are two problems that I often face:

1. Germany plays defensive from turn one and buy almost only infantry. This is the hardest situation where I often lose. Let’s say I have 32 inf. 32 art + 5 ftrs in Eastern Europe (16 inf. and 16 art. from UK and US each). Then Germany have about 50 inf. 6 fighters and some tanks and Japan is sending about 5-6 ftrs to support Ger. When running a combat simulator I have no chance to win. What shall I do then? Wait for more reinforcements? Try to attack Balkans and then Southern Europe to establish a base?

2. What shall I do when Germany leaves France open? Let’s say I have 8 troops to Norway and I’m ready to shuck 8 more to Karelia. Shall I start to invade France or is it best to ignore it and stick to the plan to attack Karelia with everything.

• '16 '15 '10

Well, definitely take France with at least 1 inf.

Whether or not to go heavy into Western depends on what Germany has to counterattack with.  It’s a very complicated question, but ultimately it comes down to this–if Germany can easily trounce any army you land there with enough force that he kills all your stuff and you can’t counterattack, then don’t land there.  But if you can hold it, or at least make Germany pay dearly to retake it (and set-up another counter of your own), then its often a good move to land in force, since the resulting battles will weaken Germany.

• If Germany is limited to only a few territories ( meaning 20IPC give or take ) and they are bottling up germany you should start with strategic bombarding. If this is the case you should have plenty of IPc to buy a bomber every 2-3 turns. Both the US and UK ( and Russia? ) bombing germany should net their IPC to nothing, allowing you to build up a stack larger then his. Offcourse you have Japan knocking on the door in the meanwhile…

France is 6 IPC so you should always take it with one infantry if it’s empty. Even if there’s a few troops there it’s worth it to try and take it IMHO.

• glad to see someone putting that idea to good use!  i’ve also found that 5 INF, 2 ARM, 1 ART = 8 units for 29 IPCs is more effective than 4 INF, 4 ART = 8 units for 28 IPCs (if you can get the extra $).

@Erikjo:

1. Germany plays defensive from turn one and buy almost only infantry. This is the hardest situation where I often lose. Let’s say I have 32 inf. 32 art + 5 ftrs in Eastern Europe (16 inf. and 16 art. from UK and US each). Then Germany have about 50 inf. 6 fighters and some tanks and Japan is sending about 5-6 ftrs to support Ger. When running a combat simulator I have no chance to win. What shall I do then? Wait for more reinforcements? Try to attack Balkans and then Southern Europe to establish a base?

so, G is reduced down to only 3 territories (G, WE, SE) worth only 22 IPCs?  meanwhile both UK and USA are cashing in around 40 IPCs each.  this position is an allied win.  if you keep G contained to these 3 territories, G can produce only 7 inf a round, and that can’t keep up with the allies’ 16 units a round.  you will eventually have enough to take G, but it might take 10 more rounds.  as long as (1) the allied stack is too large for G to kill, (2) you outproduce G, and (3) the allies occasionally help russia with japan–you won’t lose.  maybe expand USA’s supply line to a 5x5 or 6x6.

@Erikjo:

2. What shall I do when Germany leaves France open? Let’s say I have 8 troops to Norway and I’m ready to shuck 8 more to Karelia. Shall I start to invade France or is it best to ignore it and stick to the plan to attack Karelia with everything.

WE is awesome!  6 IPCs!  if you go for WE, make sure that you can continue retaking it each round.  this really screws G, since she will have to spend at least 1/2 her income trading this territory with the allies.  G can’t afford to leave WE in allied hands, since WE threatens both SE and G.  if you do go for WE, the question is: do you reinforce WE with USA or does USA continue the Nor/Kar/EE build up?  either way puts G in a tough spot.

• @bigchris:

glad to see someone putting that idea to good use!  i’ve also found that 5 INF, 2 ARM, 1 ART = 8 units for 29 IPCs is more effective than 4 INF, 4 ART = 8 units for 28 IPCs (if you can get the extra $).

Instead of art I try to buy as much armor as I can when possible.

I also like the allied “blitz” idea to take Ger as fast as possible within 8-9 turns. Recently I’ve been experimenting using Soviet to become part of the attack. Let’s say, in the example as described over, that Ger has 50 inf. + tanks and fighters and USA and UK have no chance of taking it. With 8 inf, 8 art and 2 fighters from Soviet it’s actually possible to take Germany!

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m