• Three questions:

In RR, AxAd, 2HBB, Russian ships in North Sea, on G1:

1. What do you kill UK Med BB with?
      a) Sub and 2 planes, and/or amph aslt Egypt (lose the most planes)
      b) Sub, 1 plane, BB and TRN, take Galb. Kill Med sub with 1 plane (lose fewer planes than a)
      c) Don’t kill BB, and/or amph aslt Egypt. (lose fewest planes, subject to UK bombardments in later turns)

2. What is the best thing to do with BB and TRN in the Med?
      a) Amph aslt Egypt. (More plane loss in other naval battles or UK bombardments (see a and c above), new CMed TRN can be killed by UK1 BMR, EMed BB and TRN can be hit by R2 FTRS)
      b) Stay put and put 2 INF in Lib. (Stronger Med fleet but more plane loss in other naval battles, can be killed by UK Med BB (if survived) and BMR)
      c) Kill UK Med BB. (see b above)

3. Does Germany ever go after North Sea again (usually has AC, 2 planes, 2 TRNs after turn 1)?

Your thoughts please :D

• @Dirt:

1. Does Germany ever go after North Sea again (usually has AC, 2 planes, 2 TRNs after turn 1)?

Your referring to UK having an AC(or CV to some naval advocates,)
    2 FTR(US) and 2 TRNs(may only have 1 TRN if Kreigsmarine spread out their attack and was successful.)

I wouldn’t recommend it!

• @Dirt:

2)What is the best thing to do with BB and TRN in the Med?

If RR(Russia Restricted on R1 from attacking))I recommend…
    b) BUY A TRN FOR PLACEMENT IN S EUR SZ and place 2 INF in S EUR .
    African Combat: Hit FWA with INF from ALG, hit FEA with INF/ARM from LIB.Kill GIB UK BB and UK Fleet.

Stay put and put 2 INF in Lib. (Stronger Med fleet but more plane loss in other naval battles, can be killed by UK Med SUB and BMR, BUT THAT"S A HIGH COST UK MAY NOT WANT TO PAY since you will have a BB [one shot at 4] and 2 TRNs[2 shots at one]though uk does get a first shot with SUB).

short on time now so I’ll leave #1 to others, but I’m sure they’ll chime in on #2 and #3 as well :) !

• African Combat: Hit FWA with INF from ALG, hit FEA with INF/ARM from LIB.Kill GIB UK BB and UK Fleet.

I think it might be better to blitz FEA with ARM then back to LIB (Is that allowed)? I guess the UK BBs have to be killed at all cost. What is the best way to use the planes in G1 to reduce losses? 2HBB is really tough on German planes. :D

• I guess the UK BBs have to be killed at all cost.

Why? German planes have to be protected at all cost

• I’ve never played 2HBB but I’m a big believer in saving planes. I would use 2 subs and tran from Baltic in North Sea, BB and perhaps bomber in Med vs. BB. Take tour chances with 2 trans vs. sub on UK1. Don’t attack Egypt unless feeeleng particularly lucky. Oh yes, all fighters in north Sea battle.

• I guess the UK BBs have to be killed at all cost.

Why? German planes have to be protected at all cost

I don’t think leaving any UK BBs alive is a good idea. It means almost losing 1 INF every turn from bombardment.

Take tour chances with 2 trans vs. sub on UK1.

Can be hit by UK BMR also. I don’t think the BB should leave the trans.

• Forgot about the bomber. Maybe use a fighter against med sub, hope it hits and hope UK doesn’t want to risk bomber against 2trans. I think you really need to attack UK medBB with germanBB. With 2hitBB you have to hope for a lot.

• The UK and US (especially) can afford to risk anything. :D

• I don’t think leaving any UK BBs alive is a good idea. It means almost losing 1 INF every turn from bombardment.

UK have to lose 1 INF every turn in order to bombard WE every turn, and UK won’t do it. On the other hand, UK would like to attack WE if WE has less fighters to defend.

• BTW, anybody ever tried this German fleet opening? It’s common in the zone.

2 subs and 3 fighters and 1 tranny to UK Sea Zone
    1 fighter to UK lone transport
    BB and loaded tranny to E Med, kill sub if lucky
    1 fighter, 1 Arm and 1 inf to Egypt
    2 inf and 1 bomber to Syria
    So leaving the UK BB
    Buy 8 inf and 1 sub (Place in Med)

At turn end, Germany should have Both Syria and Egypt captured. Fleet in E Med with ALL UK fighters and bombers out of range. Anything left in Egypt are waiting to die but German tranny can surely transport another 2 inf to take back Egypt next turn
    The new lone sub is used to block the UK BB from the main fleet (Which if there is none, I as UK will surely go after the German fleet and kill the tranny in UK1). If lucky enough, the sub can survive and retreat in G2 merging with the fleet, inflicting more damage to UK fighters in UK2 or 3.
    Germany can save all of its fighters in normal case. 5 fighters and 1 bomber also makes UK newly established fleet more uncomfortable (Especially if UK decide to have onlt the remaining BB to protect the entire new fleet). With the lineline to Africa stay intact to G2 or perhaps G3.

This strategy has its advantage.

• BTW, anybody ever tried this German fleet opening? It’s common in the zone.

2 subs and 3 fighters and 1 tranny to UK Sea Zone
    1 fighter to UK lone transport
    BB and loaded tranny to E Med, kill sub if lucky
    1 fighter, 1 Arm and 1 inf to Egypt
    2 inf and 1 bomber to Syria
    So leaving the UK BB
    Buy 8 inf and 1 sub (Place in Med)

At turn end, Germany should have Both Syria and Egypt captured. Fleet in E Med with ALL UK fighters and bombers out of range. Anything left in Egypt are waiting to die but German tranny can surely transport another 2 inf to take back Egypt next turn
    The new lone sub is used to block the UK BB from the main fleet (Which if there is none, I as UK will surely go after the German fleet and kill the tranny in UK1). If lucky enough, the sub can survive and retreat in G2 merging with the fleet, inflicting more damage to UK fighters in UK2 or 3.
    Germany can save all of its fighters in normal case. 5 fighters and 1 bomber also makes UK newly established fleet more uncomfortable (Especially if UK decide to have onlt the remaining BB to protect the entire new fleet). With the lineline to Africa stay intact to G2 or perhaps G3.

This strategy has its advantage.

Those are pretty good moves for 2HBB. I’m now inclined to leave the UK Med BB alone. I’ll also consider buying a TRN later depending on how aggressive the allies are in retaking Africa. How successful is this strategy in the zone BTW? Anyone care to present a counter? :D

With 1HBB I’ll go with Xi as amph aslt is risky.

• Morphling, that is a pretty similiar strategy to what I play on Germany ion turn one. But I take things a step further. Even though you may lose a fighter or two, I think it is worth taking out every allied ship on the board. It is taaking a bit of a chance, but when your Germany you have to go balls out. I never bother to reinforce Africa after the first turn either. those resources should be directed at Russia, and the UK fleet.

• Until your Med fleet is lost, I think Germany should spend some resources in Africa to distract the Allies. They have to send a large army to retake and keep you out of Africa, to defend the three north African countries from amph aslt of 4 INFs, BB bombardment and planes. All of these take pressure off you in Europe. But I won’t send anything to Africa unless it’s under attack though.

• The german fleet usually cannot survive for long against good allies. The opening metioned above can only make sure the tranny surviving thru G2, and rarely to G3. But that will be enough for german because germany needs only 4-6 additional inf to Africa in the game. If you allocate more, either WE or EE is vulnerable to attacks. They might not fall in one attack, but allies can always do a double to do so (US and UK for WE, USSR and UK for EE).

I’ll also consider buying a TRN later depending on how aggressive the allies are in retaking Africa. How successful is this strategy in the zone BTW? Anyone care to present a counter?

Trust me, German needs only 1 tranny and if you can keep it long enough, you done your job as a good german player

Most games in the zone are quite similar in progress. German take MOST AFrica (If you can’t, be better next game). Allies landed in West Africa, then German retreat, SLOWLY, one by one, counter attack if there is opportunity, but don’t let Allies take back Africa fast. Then Japan land 2 inf on Africa, occupying places with no defense so as to slow down the allies a little bit.

If that can be done, Axis does it perfect job in Africa, and the rest is determined by Japs and USSR (Asian frontier)

• Germany’s main objective is to survive untill Japan can chew up USSR.
    If GER can get a few extra IPCs in Africa, Yippee!
    But, SINK the UK W MED BB! Otherwise UK has a BB to move to UK sz and add a TRN and CV (carrier) on which US lands 2 FTRs on US1 (plus 1 US TRN.)
    What’s the Luftwaffe gonna do against that fleet?
    –----------------------
    OOOOOOOOOOOW!

• But is there big difference with 1 CV + 4 tranny and 1BB + 1 CV + 4 tranny in UK sz?
    If US and UK want to make a d-day on WE which has 14 inf and 3-4 fighters, they will pay for it.
    And if W Med BB retreat to UK sz at UK1, Ger can also merge sub with 1 tranny and 1 BB at E Med, what the RAF can do with this fleet? THey got to suicide bomber and fighters to eliminate it, Axis hurray.

• In 1HBB I’ll sink the UK Med BB in a heart beat. In 2HBB it’s risky. Think about it: would you go after the UK sz fleet on G2, with or without the UK BB in it? The UK CV keeps Ger at bay forever.

On the other hand, 2HBB let Japan run wild in the Pacific. :D

• @Dirt:

In 1HBB I’ll sink the UK Med BB in a heart beat. In 2HBB it’s risky. Think about it: would you go after the UK sz fleet on G2, with or without the UK BB in it? The UK CV keeps Ger at bay forever.

On the other hand, 2HBB let Japan run wild in the Pacific. :D

Well, the difference between a BB or no BB is at least 2/3 of a fighter lost to germany.
    And if you as Japan run wild in the pacific with 2H BB, then i would love to play the Allies against you. IMHO anything that Japan does use there is pretty much wasted.

• With 2HBB Japan usually destroy the whole US Pacific fleet with a loss of sub and one hit each on the BBs (assuming US doesn’t counterattack Pearl). After that Japan is virtually unopposed in the Pacific. By running wild I mean taking a TRN, 2 INF and 2 BBs and attack Alaska, Hawaii, Mexico, etc. If you play no counterattack from bombardment (the way it should be), the 2 INFs should be around for a long time. Do this until the US put up some decent defence on North America. This doesn’t take too much away from the mainland campaign. What else are you going to do with the BBs anyway. Why just park them in Japan sz? Why not have some fun with them? :wink:

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m