• '10

I’m a little confused about this. On the faqs it seems that all hits are assigned while on one of frimmel’s posts hits are wasted.

EG. A superior German force attacks an allied hex containing 1inf  1Art  3supply tokens

what are the outcomes for the following dice rolls:

A) 1 1 1 1 1 1 1      B) 1 2 3 4 5 6    C) 1 3 4 5 5 6

• A) INF destroyed

B) INF, ART and 2 supplies destroyed

C) Same as B

• '10

Thanks Frimmel for clearing that up. After I made the post I came across another of your posts with a link that stated six ones was akin to really destroying  a unit. So in summary, wrap around hits are allowed while excess hits do not get applied to other units. (unlike GC). I guess the reference in the faqs for the AA is that aircraft are the only possible target.

• I really think that is the heart of much dislike for BOTB – you can have a great roll as to getting hits but have it not be very effective, with hits ‘going to waste.’

During the anti-air steps only aircraft are hit and then surviving planes roll die per standard hit assignment causing retreats and destruction, aircraft however do not create a ZOC.

• You’re probably spot on there frimmel.

I thought about taking the Guadalcanal line and allowing superfluous hits to be assigned to the next available target, but that would seem to heavily favor the Axis for the first half and by the time the Allies could catch up (if at all) it would be too late.

other AA games have taught us that each battle has a simple outcome where one side is destroyed, and the 3 entries into the line that have more of a locked in combat aspect (DD/GC/BOTB) all have a learning curve for players to overcome this preconceived notion.  But once you overcome it, they are the bomb!  I just turned another AAR player last week into a BOTB player and now they prefer it.

• '10

The overkill doesnt bother me so much. It is like the old AH games where you would factor up to 4:1 odds to insure a kill; roll a 6 with a +1 mod for woods/town and get no effect. It just seemed odd  in the sense that this is the only AA game where not all hits are assigned.

Although Ive only played the game once I like it because of the supply factor. It reminds me of the old  AH Afika Korps  game

• true dat.

it’s another of those reasons that you have to forget all the other game’s rules, but the differences are also the strengths I think.

glad to hear you are enjoying it too.

• '10

One of the nicer things about the smaller sized games is their playability in the sense that they can be completed quickly.They are well suited for solitare play when learning. In a sense I prefer AAP and AAE over the global games for the same reason. Perhaps, when I get enough moxy , I will try my hand on a global  game by forum.

• I certainly like Bulge and Guadalcanal for their relatively shorter gametimes as well.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m