• What do you buy ?

Do you purchase 2 fleets ? One UK fleet to clean the convoy zones and protect the trannies, and another US fleet to clean the convoy zones and protect the trannies ? Isnt that poor use of resources ?

I think the best allied strategy is this:

The first phase:
    Russia build 3 inf and 3 tanks in R1, and play aggressivly, and strafe whenever possible.
    UK build fighters and send them to Leningrad as long as Leningrad is friendly, and also send the bomber to Moscow. Russia convert to brown color, and use the planes for strafing and defending.
    US build a mix of ships, and clear the convoy zones.

The mid-game phase:
    Russia build infantry, strafe the tank stacks, retreat back, and try to survive as long as possible.
    UK build trannies and a mix of land units, and D-day in France.
    US build a fleet strong enough to protect the Uk trannies, and also send 2 US trannies with infantry to Europe each turn, and 1 fighter too.

End game:
    Russia try to survive
    UK build land for use in western Europe.
    US build fighters and bombers and SBR Germany, and also fill up 2 trannies each turn.

• @Adlertag:

What do you buy ?

Do you purchase 2 fleets ? One UK fleet to clean the convoy zones and protect the trannies, and another US fleet to clean the convoy zones and protect the trannies ? Isnt that poor use of resources ?

At least early on, depending on Axis investment in the Atlantic, 2 fleets will be necessary to clear the convoys.  Continuous Axis deployment of subs can keep the UK pinned in without it’s own fleet. A couple rounds of coordinated DD & FIG/BMB strikes can clear up for UK to give protection duties to US as UK convoys open up.

• @murraymoto:

@Adlertag:

What do you buy ?

At least early on, depending on Axis investment in the Atlantic, 2 fleets will be necessary to clear the convoys.  Continuous Axis deployment of subs can keep the UK pinned in without it’s own fleet. A couple rounds of coordinated DD & FIG/BMB strikes can clear up for UK to give protection duties to US as UK convoys open up.

Against a good use of Axis SS the first couple rounds, there just isn’t a whole lot you can do to wipe them out, save the lucky dice.  So I’ve done the similar thing and built 2 fleets to start.  Well, at least as much as UK can if their convoys have really been hit. 
      I’ve tried various builds of US ships- DD/SS and each exclusive to counter the SS.  BB & CV just seem too great a cost though.  Usually it still takes a couple rounds to clear the US coastal areas and move out.  Building ships for UK to help early helps unless I decide to sent extra fighters to USSR.

Sometimes I’ve tried building just US ships and drawing the Axis SS to west of UK, then drop UK ships into channel or North Sea and can get a landing before Axis can get back or drop new U-boats.  Granted that works better if they aren’t actively adding SS each round.

• If Uk want to send ftr’s to russia, it must be done during the first turns . UK dont have time to build a fleet in turn 1 and 2, and later send a ftr to Leningrad in turn 4, because in turn 4 Leningrad is german.

Another issue is, if germany got a new bomber in turn 1, and land all planes close to Atlantic, and a lot of subs survived turn 1, then UK cant place a weak 25 IPC fleet in any sea zone adjacent to UK and expect it to survive G2. Thus it is better if UK buy 2 ftr’s in turn 1, 2 and 3, for a total of 6 ftr and 1 bomber wich become russian.

If UK buy a large fleet in turn 1, 2 and 3, and US do the same, then it will be over-kill. In turn 4 there will be a lot of useless allied ships you dont need.

• @Adlertag:

then UK cant place a weak 25 IPC fleet in any sea zone adjacent to UK and expect it to survive G2. Thus it is better if UK buy 2 ftr’s in turn 1, 2 and 3, for a total of 6 ftr and 1 bomber wich become russian.

If UK buy a large fleet in turn 1, 2 and 3, and US do the same, then it will be over-kill. In turn 4 there will be a lot of useless allied ships you dont need.

–a weak 25 IPC UK could be placed off Canada though and expect to survive to join with a UK2 fleet off England’s west coast.

–FIG sent to USSR are good, help those commies stacks, like in your other thread about Belo/Karelia.  UK1 can buy a DD  to help clear sea zones and a FIG to go to USSR. weak fleet yes, but helpful in at least taking back some of the Atlantic.

–I think it’s more about buying enough fleet, not about large fleets.  Enough to take out SS and get to UK, then enough to protect against later Luftwaffe reprisal.  G1-3 the initial aircraft are more available for Atlantic work, after that they are more needed in USSR.

–UK buys large fleet and US does also, over-kill perhaps, but turn 4 you can actually get across the Atlantic instead of turn 5.

• The optimal allied fleet, is a fleet that are a temptation to attack. If Germany attack the fleet, they’ll lose planes they dont afford. If they dont dare to attack the fleet, then the allies have not wasted IPC on useless ships.

• Yeah, you got it, you want something that will cause the Axis to lose units that they can’t easily replace.

My thought is when you are on the US side of the Atlantic and the Axis planes can’t get there to aid the SS, there a DD is at least 50% likely to sink a SS, and paired with aircraft they are gonna sink something, likely more.  When that side is cleaned out or you’ve scared them back to European coast US can crank out a fleet within 2 turns that the Axis can’t obliterate without major losses.  When Axis SS still linger about Halifax SZ and surrounding they can hit all the big US/UK convoys.  When those are Allied controlled, it’s all downhill in the Atlantic.

I hate wasting boats, they have gotta do something productive.

• @LuckyDay:

–a weak 25 IPC UK could be placed off Canada though and expect to survive to join with a UK2 fleet off England’s west coast.

I think that even off Canada a UK fleet could be a target on G2 and a build there or of UK ships in general on UK 1 depends on where the german subs are and how many.  Maybe they’ll go for the US fleet, maybe the UK, maybe both.  I can see 4-5 subs reasonably within range of both builds so while some of it could survive, even advance their cause, I don’t think it is a definite expectation, dependent on the strength of the SS reprisal.
       on the other hand, if those fleets could sink german subs than that is some progress…

• Early, UK needs a couple transports, or he’s no threat to German income, and therefore ignorable…more Nazis to Moscow.

Those transports have to stay alive though, so UK usually has to be conservative and coordinate from round 2 onwards with the US.

US needs to build DDs early to help clear the Atlantic, figs and boms help too…if they don’t have to go to Russia, they can help clear the last of the subs, or the Med fleet if it’s wandering north.

Once the Allies have enough DDs, or the German threat is gone, US switches to nothing but loaded transports…maybe a fighter if he’s got money. UK can pretty much do as he likes, exploiting weaknesses and opening things up for the US.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m