• Any thoughts on adding a British Battleship and maybe a destroyer on the sea zone south of Thailand to represent the Prince of Wales and her battle group? Thought this might give the Japanese another road bump before they take the South Pacific.

edit: For the '41 scenario

• And the Japanese get an additional bomber at Formosa?
    If I remember right that ships where sunk by land based japanese bombers …

• Ah, interesting! Thank you for that info!

It would be nice to see the changes of the game during the creation and test process. Are any kind of that information available somewhere?

• Craig, what is the start date for the '41 game? I thought the American Battleship on Hawaii is there to represent the Pearl Harbor Battle on Dec. 7th. Prince of Wales was sunk on the 10th. The British forces on Malaysia fought on for several weeks after that as well.

And the Japanese get an additional bomber at Formosa?

The Japanese Bombers that sunk the Prince of Wales came from Saigon. Easy fix. In our next game I’m going to try adding a British Battleship and the Japanese bomber.

Thanks  :-)

• '10

Makes sense to me.  The start date for European theater and Pacific theater are slightly off on the first turn.  For the purpose of balance and to give the first turn the feel of the Axis Blitz of 41.

• '18 '17 '16 '11 Moderator

If we added a British Battleship in the Pacific/Near Pacific, then we should add a Japanese battleship as well.  Japan had two super class battleships (and any number of regular battleships) in the Pacific.  It’s only good fortune that the Americans were able to attack the Japanese fleet without them present and then later sink them when there was no fleet to protect them at the end of the war.

• Here’s my quick and dirty rules for Malaya/Singapore, feel free to praise or raze as you see fit. This is just a house rule for some added flavor. I’m also going to implement a version of the Burma Road rule that’s been floating around here and BBG. Should make for some added fun in Asia. You should not have to make any changes to the turn order, the Brits were rolled up fairly quickly, so Japan should maintain the initiative.

British Malaya/Singapore:

British held Malaya played an important part in WWII. Along with Hong-Kong, Singapore was a major British port and seat of power in the South-East Asia. Japan committed a large number of resources to take it. Malaya came under attack on Dec 8th 1941 and was ultimately conquered by the Japanese on Feb 15th 1942 with the fall of Singapore, resulting in the surrender of 50,000 Commonwealth soldiers. Winston Churchill called it the “worst disaster” in British history.

Add British Malaya/Singapore as a new British territory, worth 1 point (Add these points to Britain’s starting IPC total).
    Add 2 infantry units in this territory, for 1941.
    Add British Battleship to Sea Zone 37 (represents HMS Prince of Wales), for 1941. (maybe a destroyer as well; will play test)
    Add Japanese Bomber and Tank to French Indochina/Thailand, for 1941.

Change Japan’s National Objectives to read:
    Gain 5 IPCs if Axis powers control at least five of the following Kwangtung,  British Malaya/Singapore, East Indies, Borneo, Philippine Islands, New Guinea, and/or Solomon Islands.

Japan should start with this territory in the '42 game, maybe with 1 infantry.

• '10

Bernard Shaw: “if the Democrats are able to create a division of the white men and the black men, there will be no Republican Party in the future.”  (1927 Chicago Mayoral Race, Republicans stood for black rights!)

“You pro-choice people, you need Roe v. Wade.  You’re desperate for it, not because you’re sure of your opinion but because you’re not.  You need to cling to that ruling as moral validation for a position you’re not entirely comfortable with, deep down.”

Ever since the Democrats have taken Congress in 2006 the economy has tanked.  Now they also have the Presidency, can America survive?

Jennifer, when can we get married? :-D

Die Flottenmörderin

And who’s the poor sap that got slaughtered to earn you this title? lol

Where were we, Ohh the Prince of Wales.  Yes, big ears.  Sorry the wrong one.

Okay, seriously now.

There is nothing wrong with trying to place units to match the history but you also need to keep the balance of game play in mind.

When I modify the game by adding new units I do this.

Total the value of all the units for each country.  Now add the total value for each country in the Allies and do the same for the axis.  So if you give the British a BB & DD (34 IPC) Then you should give the Axis or in this particular case the Japanese 34 IPC worth of units that would be a counter balance against this such as ships and aircraft.

When adding opposing units I try to research what units were available in that area. I also ask the list.  As you can see, others have already given some great example.

Finally, if you’re still in a dilemma, use your best judgement.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m