• Official Q&A

I took the black plastic spine from one of those thin clear plastic report covers and cut it into four equal pieces.  It clips the board sections together well, and it’s not thick enough to lift the board up off the table very much.

• That’s what I use also - it’s works pretty good.  I wish we could find a good way to keep the board from warping though…  :|

• Its only one way - glue it to something solid.

• Steel binder clips have worked the best for me.

• I use painters tape…  :-o the blue stuff from H-depot.
    Its not pretty, but it sticks enough to hold the boards together and I tape it to the table too.  Its easy to take off and it doesnt stick enough to tear the boards (just dont tape the backs of the boards…that paper rips).    :x

Just tape the very edge at the connection points and one peice along the two ends and the board stays; it solves the waroing issue too because the board is taped to the table.

The 1" wide roll fits in the box too.

• @TG:

Steel binder clips have worked the best for me.

I second this.  That’s what I’m using it I think it works great!

• The best way I’ve found is to use two cut-down 24 x 36 poster frames from Hobby Lobby. The clear plastic holds the board down and the frame strips hold it all together. Not very portable but it does hold the board flat.

• Or you can have the board framed. That way you can display it on the wall for all to see, plus it will be under glass so it wont warp or stain. This is my plan once I get some time.

• '10

I recently upgraded to a bigger board, but before that I was thinking about using those thin business card sized fridge magnets (the kind that some businesses give away for free) to hold the board in place.  I was going to cut 6 of them in half and glue them to the back of the boards like in this diagram (the black rectangles are the magnet halves in case it wasn’t obvious).

I was then going to use 6 more (uncut) magnets as joiners, connecting the boards.

I think would help stop warping at the edges where the magnets are so you can easily slide navies or armies over those sections without having to pick up the navies/armies and place them on the other side of the edge.

• that’s brilliant Sime, truely brilliant  :-D

• '10

Cheers mate

• @Sime:

I recently upgraded to a bigger board, but before that I was thinking about using those thin business card sized fridge magnets (the kind that some businesses give away for free) to hold the board in place.  I was going to cut 6 of them in half and glue them to the back of the boards like in this diagram (the black rectangles are the magnet halves in case it wasn’t obvious).

I was then going to use 6 more (uncut) magnets as joiners, connecting the boards.

I think would help stop warping at the edges where the magnets are so you can easily slide navies or armies over those sections without having to pick up the navies/armies and place them on the other side of the edge.

Although I didn’t have a pretty picture, I had essentially the same idea.

http://www.axisandallies.org/forums/index.php?topic=12827.15

I’m not exactly sure how refrigerator magnets work, but in general when you break a magnet with a north and south pole into two pieces you get two new magnets (each with their own north and south pole). This is because there are no magnetic monopoles as a result of one of Maxwell’s equations $\nabla\cdot\vec{B}=0$. If refrigerator magnets work like this, then only half of each magnet that is cut in half will be attracted to the un-cut magnet holding the board together; the other half will repel. However, I don’t think this is how refrigerator magnets work. I think they’re made up of a bunch of little dipoles and your idea should work fine. However, might a rigid, thin strip of a ferromagnetic metal such as iron or steel serve as a better spine(s)?

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m