• First turn builds?

Six tanks?  Seems like Germany may just want to forget about augmenting its navy or airforce and just try to clobber the Soviets with tanks.

• What about a factory in France?  Building only 10 units is tough on Germany.

• @jeffdestroyer:

What about a factory in France?  Building only 10 units is tough on Germany.

I definately don’t think Germany has the resources to buy an IC - at least for the first few rounds.  They start out fairly light on infantry as it is - I think that is where Germany needs to spend her money - infantry and some tanks.
    I am curious to know however if anyone is attacking Karelia on G1?
    Thanks.

• i think it’s futile for Germany to spend on navy in general.  already mentioned is Germany really lacks infantry.  so i would spend the 31 ipc on 8 infantry (21 ipc) and 2 tanks (10 ipc), which totals 10 items that can be placed on Germany.

• I was thinking in turn 2 or 3 for a factory.  If France can be secured with Italian help then a Factory might be great.  Germany could build 16 units.  It nice to build 8-10 Inf and a few quality pcs

• @shohoku201:

i think it’s futile for Germany to spend on navy in general.  already mentioned is Germany really lacks infantry.  so i would spend the 31 ipc on 8 infantry (21 ipc) and 2 tanks (10 ipc), which totals 10 items that can be placed on Germany.

8 infantry costs 24.  :wink:

You could build 7 inf, 2 arm but you would have 1 production space left. Still personally I would go for 10 inf on G2. Unless you are going for broke like IL wrote with all armor (which yet I don’t think will work, but we are debating) Germany needs the infantry really really bad.

• The cost of INF is not the problem, its is the factory space. 
    If Germany has 45-50 ipc, then 10 inf is only 30. 
    Germany needs INF but it does not have enough factory space to place Inf  as well as other units even though it has more ipc’s in AA50
    A second factory would allow more inf onto the battlefield in succeeding rounds. 
    Maybe a Poland factory instead of France?

• I think you misunderstood me, we were talking about G1 buys. Since Germany only has 31 IPC to start with, you can do with Berlin only.

On G2, buy an IC in France and there is your production.  :wink:

• Unless you are going for broke like IL wrote with all armor (which yet I don’t think will work, but we are debating) Germany needs the infantry really really bad.

It depends largely if you want to fast or slow game. Sometimes you dont have time, so as the Axis in 41 you will win real quick or lose, but you will have an excellent chance to win.

The revised map contains the info for playing a slow game, with some naval builds for Baltic on G1, plus more normal builds.

I can guarantee you alot of wins with my fast strategy. Perhaps eventually people will get wise and the strategy would need tweeking, but its totally sound on all movements except the builds and as i said that depends on the type of game you want.

• I have gone with a 9 Inf (27ipc’s) and 1 Art (4 ipc’s) to use up my max funds and allocation. Get a few men to France and march the rest towards Russia. If you don’t get rid of the majority of UK ships on round one, there is potential for a landing in France or Nothwestern Europe on UK turn one.

• @jeffdestroyer:

If Germaney was to build a IC in France,this is a recipe for defeat.When the Allies create a second front in the west they will want France because of the IC,by that im saying they will not have to use there Navy transports to keep a pipeline of forces.
    they will just build them in france which will make it almost imposable for Germaney to push them back into the Atlantic.And this will bring the allies advantage of ecodemy(Assumeing this is 1941).While this is going down if it was me i would withdrawl almost all my forces on the Easternfront and circleing the wagons.

P.S This is my first post.

• Happy Thanksgiving!

I’m in China, so it is Thursday already.

@Cowboybob:

@jeffdestroyer:

If Germaney was to build a IC in France,this is a recipe for defeat.When the Allies create a second front in the west they will want France because of the IC,by that im saying they will not have to use there Navy transports to keep a pipeline of forces.
    they will just build them in france which will make it almost imposable for Germaney to push them back into the Atlantic.And this will bring the allies advantage of ecodemy(Assumeing this is 1941).While this is going down if it was me i would withdrawl almost all my forces on the Easternfront and circleing the wagons.

P.S This is my first post.

Welcome!

I don’t quite agree with you that building an IC in France is an automatic loss for the Axis, because if the Allies can take France (IC or no IC) and can hold it a full round without Germany or Italy taking it back, then it is probably just about the end of the line for Germany anyway.  So, building an IC in France will help you defend it against the Allies, but if they take it and begin producing out of it, then it just ends the game that much faster.
    IC in France= 2-edged sword, but not end of game.  There are advantages and disadvantages to it.  I do agree with others, though when they say that building the IC in France on the first turn is not the best move.

Stay and continue contributing ideas!

• I would never consider a factory in france until many more bombers appeared. What is the point of building bombers if the allies dont build any? in 41 you especially don’t do this because you play first and you just messed your position up by making a factory if the allies don’t build bombers. And to play the contrarians position in this i don’t believe by building a factory you prevent allied bombers, because you can always buy it the next turn if they go with bombers.

I dont expect bombers right out of the gate for 1941…but probably possible in 42

• So, infantry or tanks on Turn 1, or a combination?

• @Imperious:

I would never consider a factory in france until many more bombers appeared. What is the point of building bombers if the allies dont build any? in 41 you especially don’t do this because you play first and you just messed your position up by making a factory if the allies don’t build bombers. And to play the contrarians position in this i don’t believe by building a factory you prevent allied bombers, because you can always buy it the next turn if they go with bombers.

Well without any IC in France, Russia outproduces Germany with 12 to 10 (assuming no IC’s lost). Furthermore in the 41 scenario you can easily get most of your NO’s which gives you a income ranging from 40-50 (including some gains in Africa). How can you efficiently buy units with only 10 production capacity available? And don’t answer all tanks, because that wouldn’t work in the long run imo.

• @JohnBarbarossa:

Well without any IC in France, Russia outproduces Germany with 12 to 10 (assuming no IC’s lost). Furthermore in the 41 scenario you can easily get most of your NO’s which gives you a income ranging from 40-50 (including some gains in Africa). How can you efficiently buy units with only 10 production capacity available? And don’t answer all tanks, because that wouldn’t work in the long run imo.

Well, if Germany has all of his NOs, then that means that he also controls either Karelia or Caucaus, so then he can produce more units from there.  Also, Germany must keep up his Air force at the beginning to fend off England, so, he should probably be building 1-3 Bombers or Fighters every turn after turn 1 as well.  If you play using techs, then Germany may be able to spend 5-10 every turn on Research Tokens also.

• I think John said: Germany has almost all his NO’s. The Karelia / Cauc one is the hardest to get naturally. But still with the other two NO’s Germany will cash 40-50.

Why would you need an air force to fend off UK? Are you going to attack the UK/US fleet in the Atlantic?  :?

As for the tech part, I agree, Germany can spend a buck there.  :wink:

• @Driel310:

I think John said: Germany has almost all his NO’s. The Karelia / Cauc one is the hardest to get naturally. But still with the other two NO’s Germany will cash 40-50.

Why would you need an air force to fend off UK? Are you going to attack the UK/US fleet in the Atlantic?  :?

As for the tech part, I agree, Germany can spend a buck there.  :wink:

In almost all of the games that my group has played, Germany puts pressure on England’s Atlantic fleet so as to be able to leave France less defended.  Many times, France has been empty of defenders because England has no transports, and the US is busy in the Pacific.  With this strategy, the German Air force (and sometimes Subs) usually goes after the UK’s transport fleet, but that frees up the land forces to go toward Russia.  Later, if UK’s fleet gets too big, then Italy can supplement France’s defences by walking Infantry units over there.  My group may play differently than others, because the US usually spends much much more in the Pacific than in the Atlantic.

• @JohnBarbarossa:

@Imperious:

I would never consider a factory in france until many more bombers appeared. What is the point of building bombers if the allies dont build any? in 41 you especially don’t do this because you play first and you just messed your position up by making a factory if the allies don’t build bombers. And to play the contrarians position in this i don’t believe by building a factory you prevent allied bombers, because you can always buy it the next turn if they go with bombers.

Wellwithout any IC in France, Russia outproduces Germany with 12 to 10 (assuming no IC’s lost). Furthermore in the 41 scenario you can easily get most of your NO’s which gives you a income ranging from 40-50 (including some gains in Africa). How can you efficiently buy units with only 10 production capacity available? And don’t answer all tanks, because that wouldn’t work in the long run imo.

Well when playing Germaney you start off with much more tanks,art,and a nice airforce.if you do what i do and make a two pronged attack in the east haveing fources take the Baltic States and Ukrain on turn 1,this will almost force the Russians to split what they make turn one haveing half go Karilia other Caucauses.this will make it easy for the Germans to take Karilia with it’s air power behind them giving them a free IC in the east and giveing them 15IPC’s to use on turn 1 they wouldent have if they buy a IC in France.

• I have found that Germany cannot take both Leningrad and Stalingrad simultaneously.  Not enough units at the front to sustain the attack, even in 1941 scenario.  The front units get so far ahead of your purchased units a coordinated attack is difficult.

Also, Germany needs to delegate fighters and subs (if you can afford them) to the Atlantic or you’ll be harrassed by Britain the entire game.  If UK buys 5 destroyers turn one, the Battle for the Atlantic will soon be over anyway.

So I think defeating the USSR as fast as possible is the only way for Germany to win.  All Germany and Italian land units should be pushed East.  If Italy maintains one of its National Advantages it can receive 15 IPCs per turn for three tanks.  I have been buying combinations of tanks and infantry with Germany.

I have won three games out of three using the Axis.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m