• The company’s website has still not acknowledged the new game is currently on the market.  It’s still “Upcoming!”

• I haven’t seen the actual game yet, so for all I know this whole “AA50” thing is just one big rumor and/or conspiracy.    :-o

• WOTC wont be doing anything. Its a waste to even deal with them because they dont even bother to support their games under the guise of “the margin for boardgames is not large enough to make efforts to tell the public about the product”.

• The game is still “upcoming” at Avalon Hill’s website!

• @Imperious:

WOTC wont be doing anything. Its a waste to even deal with them because they dont even bother to support their games under the guise of “the margin for boardgames is not large enough to make efforts to tell the public about the product”.

Whip out the torches and forkpitches, and let’s storm their HQ!

Seriously, I’ve seen your comments about WOTC, and if all of that it’s true…that’s bull****! What kind of lame company neglects it customers like the way they do? It even gives a bad taste to A&A itself  :x
    sigh

• '18 '17 '16 '11 Moderator

Maybe we need a fund raiser at AA.org to purchase the rights to Axis and Allies from WOTC/Avalon Hill?

Then we could design the rules without holes, balance the game AND provide quality pieces for a change!  Heck, maybe ship it with a CD containing the latest Mapview, Battlemap and TripleA programs as well as all the rules on PDF format?

I bet most anyone would be willing to shell out $150 for a QUALITY game, at least if they are active in the AA community (here, or FOE, DAAK, AAMC or even Caspian Sub.)

• @Cmdr:

Maybe we need a fund raiser at AA.org to purchase the rights to Axis and Allies from WOTC/Avalon Hill?

Then we could design the rules without holes, balance the game AND provide quality pieces for a change!  Heck, maybe ship it with a CD containing the latest Mapview, Battlemap and TripleA programs as well as all the rules on PDF format?

I bet most anyone would be willing to shell out $150 for a QUALITY game, at least if they are active in the AA community (here, or FOE, DAAK, AAMC or even Caspian Sub.)

Killer idea! lol

I wonder how much it would cost us?  After all, if WOTC is claiming that the profit margin on Axis and Allies is so pitiful, they wouldn’t charge us too much for the rights, eh?

• @Cmdr:

I wonder how much it would cost us?  After all, if WOTC is claiming that the profit margin on Axis and Allies is so pitiful, they wouldn’t charge us too much for the rights, eh?

Well, we won’t know until we ask, right?

• @Cmdr:

hmm if, the profit margin on this game is so pitiful, older versions of the game must have lost money.

@AxisOfEvil:

@Cmdr:

hmm if, the profit margin on this game is so pitiful, older versions of the game must have lost money.

Da komrad!  WOTC should pay US to take the rights to the older versions!  That way they will stop hemorrhaging cash from the Board Game industry!

I like the way you think!

• Customizer

The problem is that Hasbro owns WOTC and Hasbro and makes more money off action figures and dolls than they can on our ‘Holy Grail’ of a boardgame.

The only reason WOTC is a household name is due to Magic the Gathering. How famous is AD&D ?, TSR was bought out by WOTC. Remember the old WEG Star Wars RPG? A huge license like Star Wars wasn’t enough to save them either. Guess who got that license? WOTC.

I’ll make the prediction that within 2 or 3 years the whole A&A line up will disapear. So my advice is to stock up on A&A products while you still can.

Hasbro’s atittude is that these are toys the same as GI Joe, and if it doesn’t make money it doesn’t get made.

• This is an interesting notion; What is the value of a brand such as Axis & Allies.

Here’s a rumor I know - Hasbro owns Avalon Hill and Avalon Hill owns the Advanced Squad Leader Brand but they license the rights to Multiman Press for $50,000.  So if ASL is worth $50,000 then A&A is a whole lot more.  After all ASL is no where near as popular.

I’d guess Hasbro would look at $500,000 or more for the A&A brand.  My best guess.

Remember Star Wars RPG?  I still play it, have played it since 1995 on Starwarsclub./org which is longer than I’ve been here!  I used to command 40 players in the Imperial Star Fighter Corps (which is what the isfcco means in my email address.  Imperial Star Fighter Corps, Commanding Officer.)

As for AD&D it’s also hugely popular.

Magic?  Well, just like Cabbage Patch Kids and bras made in the shapes of cones, it was a fad that has died out to great extent.  Sure, there’s still a few people in backwater nations and areas that still wear cones on their breasts and have bangs 40 feet into the air, but that’s hardly mainstream anymore. :P

(Yes, I just insulted the 80’s, DEAL WITH IT! Mwhuhahahahaha!)

• On a serious note, it is embarrassing for a large company to have such a useless website.

• Magic?  Well, just like Cabbage Patch Kids and bras made in the shapes of cones, it was a fad that has died out to great extent.  Sure, there’s still a few people in backwater nations and areas that still wear cones on their breasts and have bangs 40 feet into the air, but that’s hardly mainstream anymore. Tongue

(Yes, I just insulted the 80’s, DEAL WITH IT! Mwhuhahahahaha!)

Wow.  You just insulted two of my favorite hobbies: the 80s and Magic.  All in one post.  I don’t know whether to feel offended or admire the fact someone could evoke such negative feelings from me.

I disagree.  Magic is incredibly popular today and Wizards continues to sell more product than when Magic was just a fad (I suppose you’re referring to the mid-late 90s).  Without Magic, I highly doubt WOTC would exist today; certainly not to this extent anyways.  Without WOTC, Hasbro becomes the sole proprietor of Avalon Hill and Axis and Allies.  And as bad as Wizards neglect us, can you imagine Hasbro under full control of Axis and Allies?  Chances are A&A would not have the longevity or new expansions it consistently receives – including A&A:50.  If anything Hasbro would dumb the rules down, make it more Risk-like, and introduce a “Junior’s Edition” like Monopoly.  So be glad Magic kept WOTC alive.

(Originally, I was going to respond with something negative about Star Wars RPG, but I can’t.  The truth is, I love that game too)

Secondly, most of us are products of the 80s.  Were you beaten as a child?  Wait don’t answer that question.  I don’t want to know.

• Customizer

Actually, I never played the WEG version of Star Wars I just like the books.

• Also as far as Jenn’s Idea goes  Atari owns all the electronic rights to the old Avalon Hill board games. They will not release these to MMP and they have no intention of doing anything with Squad Leader/Advanced Squad Leader. They did put out a joke of a an Axis and Allies RTS game. So forget about anything digital.

Calm down.  My insult of the 80s was in jest, never fear, I remember much of it fondly.  (Ankle warmers and big poofy hair I am glad are gone!  E-gads that was a pain to deal with!)

• I guess the D&D game went into overtime their site still has AA50 as upcoming.  :|

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m