• Okay, I’m confused. I thought that an AA gun gets 1 shot per aircraft per combat (or whenever planes fly over the territory).

But reading the rules, it appears that AA guns get 1 shot per aircraft per round of combat, as the first part of Step 2 is AA gun fire and Step 2 repeats after each round of combat rolling.

That seems overpowered to me. If 5 planes fly into battle, 1 AA gun would get 5 shots per round of rolling (assuming none of the planes are destroyed). That would seriously undermine the usefulness of aircraft…

Is this right?

• '18 '17 '16 '11 Moderator

In axis and allies revised each AA Gun flown over in the combat move portion gets to shoot at each aircraft that flies over it.

So if you fly 5 fighters from W. Russia over Caucasus (which has an AA Gun) to attack Persia (which has an AA Gun) and then fly 2 bombers and a fighter from Egypt to Persia you would have to roll the following:

1st) the AA Gun in Caucasus would get one shot at each aircraft (and the die rolled is directly related to the fighter, you cannot chose your causalities)

2nd) the AA Gun in Persia would get one shot at each aircraft (again, roll the die individually for each aircraft and bomber, you cannot chose which units die or live.)

I personally, when playing on a board, like to roll the die for each fighter and bomber before placing that fighter or bomber on the battle board.  It helps anchor the idea that this AA Gun is effecting THAT unit.

• I understand the fly-over rules. It’s when there’s also a land battle that’s going on that I’m confused. The rules seem to indicate that AA guns can fire each round, not just at the opening of the battle…

• '18 '17 '16 '11 Moderator

No.  AA Guns only fire during Opening Fire.  Since Opening Fire for any given battle only occurs once, the AA Guns can only fire once (per aircraft of course.)

• Found the answer in the Wizards of the Coast FAQ, under the “Combat” heading, in the Battleships question:

Battleships are removed from the battle board after their first opening attack. The same thing applies to anti-aircraft guns.

• Official Q&A

@Cmdr:

No.  AA Guns only fire during Opening Fire.  Since Opening Fire for any given battle only occurs once, the AA Guns can only fire once (per aircraft of course.)

Actually, Opening Fire occurs in every round of combat, not just once.  However, battleships supporting amphibious assaults and AA guns are removed from the battle board after the first round of combat.  This leaves only subs on the battle board to fire in Opening Fire in later combat rounds.

Of course, shore bombardment and AA guns only fire in land battles, and subs only fire in sea battles.  Since everything that fires in Opening Fire in land battles is removed after the first combat round, there’s nothing left to fire in that step in subsequent rounds.  In practical effect, Jennifer is correct where land battles are concerned.  However, in sea battles, subs continue to fire in Opening Fire throughout the combat.

• @Krieghund:

Actually, Opening Fire occurs in every round of combat, not just once.

Thus, the confusion.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m